//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: how close is the 85/86 yz250 engine to the tri z engine

TRI Z Racer is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

how close is the 85/86 yz250 engine to the tri z engine

what are the difderences in the yz motor compared to the tri z motors, i was wondering what kinda parts will interchange?
    1985 Yamaha Tri Z 260PV

Suzuki Trail Buddy 50

yyz4208@aol.com is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    AS FAR AS I KNOW NOTHING IS
    ONE BIG DIFFERANCE IS THE YZ250 HAS A POWERVALVE WHICH THE TRIZ DOESNT

--
    what's a powervalve???

ALP
    Beav
    When there's a place to Jump, there's always a place to land. Don't matter if it's hard or not. Gotta find the limits of your trike.

1984 250r
    Mods : Uni filter, 36mm Flatside Carb, Boyseen Reeds, P&P with a little bit of port timing (more to come), High Comp. Head, DG Full Exhaust.

1986 250R
    Just got it give me some time to mod it

--
    In a two stroke engine, a powervalve changes the exhaust port opening at a certain rpm so an engine can be tuned for top-end power without sacrificing low-end.

Dirt bikes have had them since the mid 80s. I believe the YPVS Yamaha YZ250 came out in 82 and the KIPS Kawasaki KX250 in 85. Kawasaki Tecate 86/87 3 wheelers and 87/88 4 wheelers and later Suzuki Quad Racers are the only ATVs to sport one.
    1986 Tecate
    1984 Tecate
    1985 Tri-Z
    1986 ATC350X
    1985 ATC250R (2)
    1985 ATC125M (2)
    1982 ATC70 - Original Owner

175 TriMoto Frame with Pro-Tec Rear Suspension

3-Wheelin' since '82

--
    I heard the Z motor was nothing more than an 83 yz 250 with a milder top end (no power valve and mild porting).
    http://photos.yahoo.com/dynofox250 (TF 03 pic's)

Trikes: Restored '86 ATC 250r, original and mint '83 185s

Quad: '86 TRX 250r

Sled: Rev X 800ho mod

Bike: '00 ZRX 1100

TF '03 and '05 Survivor

wolfspider is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

partsfish

on partsfish the left side crankcase from 85 yz and 85 ytz are identical, i`m sure other parts are the same.

--
    A lot of YZ's have the same case dimensions. I had a YZ465 motor, and other than the where the cylinder lands on the bottom, and the not having the TriZ liquid cooled stuff, it was dimensionally identical. A YZ465 will drop righ into a Z's motor mounts. One major difference though is the direction of the kickstarter.

TRI Z Racer is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    i just wanted to get an idea so that if i wanted to put reeds and a spacer block, or other misc parts if i could
    1985 Yamaha Tri Z 260PV

Suzuki Trail Buddy 50

stevensj13 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    Willow Springs, North Carolina, United States
    --
    Would a yz250 engine drop in and bolt up to a tri z? Like the radiator hoses and tri z exhaust and air cleaner too? If everything bolts up then I have a ready to go yz250 engine in my shed!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by stevensj13 View Post
    Would a yz250 engine drop in and bolt up to a tri z? Like the radiator hoses and tri z exhaust and air cleaner too? If everything bolts up then I have a ready to go yz250 engine in my shed!
    Look at the parts fiche and check part #'s. I think I read the water spigot on the YZ head is in a diferent location than the Tri-Z, but I'll bet the rest of the hoses are close and the Tri-Z exhaust/intake should be fine. What are you doing with the kick-start?

stevensj13 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Look at the parts fiche and check part #'s. I think I read the water spigot on the YZ head is in a diferent location than the Tri-Z, but I'll bet the rest of the hoses are close and the Tri-Z exhaust/intake should be fine. What are you doing with the kick-start?
    For the kick start I may just do quick release pins instead of bolts on the plastics and pop those off to start it, or just pop start it. Would I be able to plug the tri z wiring harness up to the Yz motor?

--
    For the kick start I may just do quick release pins instead of bolts on the plastics and pop those off to start it, or just pop start it. Would I be able to plug the tri z wiring harness up to the Yz motor?
    The fiche will answer that. The YZ did not have lights, so at come point the wiring is different, but it may be the same up to the first connection. You can always add your own connectors. I don't see a problem. Kicker and hoses will likley be your issues, but you are by no means the first guy to be doing this, so keep that in mind if you start thinking about slashing your wrists at some point in the project.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    The fiche will answer that. The YZ did not have lights, so at come point the wiring is different, but it may be the same up to the first connection. You can always add your own connectors. I don't see a problem. Kicker and hoses will likley be your issues, but you are by no means the first guy to be doing this, so keep that in mind if you start thinking about slashing your wrists at some point in the project.
    I might tackle this project today or tomorrow. Sounds easier than figuring out my internal clutch problems and dealing with low compression in 3 days to get the bike ready for the busco meet this weekend

--
    I might tackle this project today or tomorrow. Sounds easier than figuring out my internal clutch problems and dealing with low compression in 3 days to get the bike ready for the busco meet this weekend
    LOL! Better call in sick and get started!

--
    [QUOTE=El Camexican;1059854]LOL! Better call in sick and get started![/QUOTE

Other than bolting the engine in and hooking up a few things and maybe messing with the rad hoses I dont see how its too hard. Could get it done in a day or two I suppose

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //