//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Greenwood Lake NY wintertrikefest

--
    Blog Entries

Greenwood Lake NY wintertrikefest

Who would be interested in coming over here, and doing a poker run on the frozen lake?

We could also do ice drags, and there is always an oval around to have fun with.

I know several lakefront owners, where we can cruise the whole lake, and pick up the cards, then go back to a restaurant, and eat together.

I can probably arrange this with the restaurant owner (anyone of several) but need to know, just how many people would be interested in doing this.

If you are going to travel here from far, there are some cheesy hotels around the lake, or some better ones about 1/2 hour away.

We can do it over a weekend, and do a bon-fire Saturday night where I live. Or by the restaurant.

I am a local business owner myself, and I have many connections around here. Riding on the lake is well accepted when it is frozen. We usually team up together and ride 4 and 3 wheelers together.

Maybe we could do an obstacle course as well if the conditions are right. Maybe do some time trials throug it. Many possibilities for fun.

All I need to know is how many are interested, so I can start to plan, it is only 6 months away. Then I would also need some help, I have some already.

Depending the amount of riders, we could do 3+4, and bike riders. Or if there is enough, just make it a 3 wheel thing.

Anthony

--
    Blog Entries
    So wierd, I'm browsing through google videos, and I start watching this 250R goign across a lake, and I'm like, hey wait a mintue, that's Greenwood Lake!

Watch this video, and this is some of what you could expect!
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...48&q=3+wheeler

--
    Blog Entries

--
    That is member ChrisD here on the forums.

--
    Blog Entries
    ohhhhh winter trike fest thats sounds like one hell of a time!!!!

--
    I think I could find myself into this. Its a long time away so planning is good

--
    Blog Entries
    I would say I have the interest of over a dozen people already. If I include four wheelers, it would obviously be much more.

So I am going to go with, "build it, they will come"

Over the next two weeks, I will have the date picked (sometime in Feb.) and the restaurant set, with the map for the poker run laid out.

I will also see if a local bike shop will help me with the planning.
    Details will follow.

--
    how deep will the snow get up there? i know if its to deep the poker run is out unless you plow a rode. i might be interested with some buddies so keep it coming.
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 200E yard rat
    1984 ATC 200X
    1984 ATC 200S (X2)
    1985 ATC 70 (X2)
    1985 ATC 200S
    1985 ATC 250R
    1986 TRX 70
    1986 ATC 350X
    2004 kfx 700 XC
    2006 prarie 700 XC
    2009 Brute Force 750
    2020 CF Moto 600

--

Gwl

Hey guys.

I don't think you will have any trouble finding people to ride on the lake if it freezes. The only problem is that the past two years have pretty much sucked. We only got 2 weekends 2 years ago and only 1 this past year. Fortunately it was during "Winter Carnival" so it was a ton of fun.

If you were to organize something, I would shoot for Presidents Day weekend (also Winter Carnival at Breezy Point) There are tons of people, bikes, fireworks, etc. then.

We have usually raced in front of Castle Tavern, but do move around the lake depending on what the ice looks like and who feels like plowing a track.

I race with about 20 guys every winter. Not everyone is there every weekend, but it's a good group of guys. I'm usually the guy that gets up early on the first weekend to plow out a track and I live by Castle Tavern so that's what it's been.

--
    You bring up a good point about the weather... Yous may have to bring jetskis instead of trikes the way its been warm the last few years.

I'd be intrested in something like this but it's way to early to say for sure. It's not too far for alot of us PA guys.

--
    are pit bikes allowed lol? could you tell me how far this location would be from ny zipcode 12589
    Current Project:1978 Pontiac Phoenix 355 v8
    Past Bikes: 1999 Yamaha Big bear 350, 1981 Yamaha XS 400, 1996 Yamaha yz250 1984 Honda big red, 2004 Xtreme cr107, 1999 Yamaha bear tracker, 1999 Suzuki ds80 STOLEN, 2005 Kawasaki klx110, 1986 Honda trx200sx
    Daily Driver: 1990 Buick Electra Park Avenue 3.8 v6

--
    Blog Entries
    if it freeze's I would come down for the weekend..Im down for the closest cheep hotel..and some Ice fishin!

--
    Blog Entries
    Chris is exactly right. Last two years have been short, but good.

I don't know if this would work during the winter carnival or not, might be a good idea to incorporate the two.

They were supposed to have motorcycle races, but the plow left too much snow close to the track, and some water creeped up the night before, making the track useless. The next week we had fun on it.

Let me talk to the owner of the Breezy, and see what he says.

I used to know the owner of the Castle, but I am sure if I go talk to him, and try to bring him in some business this winter, he would appreciate it and we could base there (park trailers and tucks etc.)

I will post hotel info once I finalize everything.

I am open to suggestions, and the wisdom of the people who do this sort of thing all the time.

Riding on the ice is a total blast!!

Snow won't be a problem unless we get 2 feet the night before or something. Other than that, the snow blows off, or if it is too heavy, the water creeps up into the snow, and freezes it, adding to the thickness of the ice.

But this whole thing depends on weather the ice freezes or not. Only one year in the last 14 years did it not freeze. Global warming does not help. So plans should be made tentatively. We will know a few weeks before if the ice freezes, and then all reservations can be made.

I also ice fish, but I don't know if there would be time for that.

Last year they had a 30ft tall bon-fire, along with fireworks during winter carnival. They also brought in a budweiser hummer with a trailer, that was a portable tap (8 taps!).
    They do polar bear swims, and a bunch of other crazy stuff.

Guaranteed fun!

--
    Blog Entries
    chris200x will stay at the same hotel as the the budwiser hummer & trailer..find that out for him Bhahahahhahaahhah

--
    Blog Entries
    Well I talked with the owner of the Breezy point inn, the place that hosts the winter carnival. He said that if we were to have any kind of drag race around here, that the insurance would cost $5-6,000.
    Also if I sponsor anything, (poker run) and someone gets hurt, it can all come back to me, which makes sense.

So, if I do this legitimately, (poker run) people would have to sign up, and at least have registered, and insured ATV's.

Which I am not sure is even required, but I will investigate further.

Also, the way he did drags in the past, was to hold radar gun time trials, to see who had the fastest sled. So this way you are not going up against anyone.

I also have to contact the head of the association that run the ice-motorcycle races on the lake. They might be able to include us somehow in some oval racing, and be covered.

This is NY, the place where sueing people, and insurance rules. I don't even feel free anymore, and sometimes I wish I could live somewhere else. But that won't stop me from trying. I am positive something will go down. Looks like I will have to registered my own vehicles to do it though, not a bad idea considering where I live.

So as of right now, looks like we can do the:
    poker run
    radar gun time trials
    oval racing (depending on the motorcycle org)

Anything else that happens, would be impromptu, and not part of the activities. But let's just say that once you are on the ice, you can pretty much do what you want.

The winter carnival alone, would be worth the trip.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //