//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Smaller ports = more power"??

--

"Smaller ports = more power"??

Visit this link and tell me what you think. Somehow, I don't believe that everyone who has had their heads ported and polished is lying through their teeth... http://www.mototuneusa.com/think_fast.htm
    I'm back in the USSR...

--
    I think he absolutely 100% correct about how people think...
    2-stroke lover

--
    Well their not necessarilly "lying." The other guys that port differently have found a method that they like. This guy has found his.

Its all about trial and error. This guys seems to have found something that works. Ive read half way through, Im going to sign up for his newsletter.

Pretty interesting stuff.
    My feedback: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-ATC-Eric

Survivor! TF: 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13 Sandpuppies: 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 16, 17, 18 Imperial Invasion 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20

Everything Big Bore on FaceBook

--
    but.... he said he was useing stock carbs on his bike

i can see a stock carb not likeing a huge ported head

if he is right why dont the nhra top fuel cars use stock heads....lol

hes right to a point but nothing is always right or true
    80s......185 atc, Yamaha tri-moto 200, 85 200x with tons of work
    90s......89 Suzuki quad racer 250 (raced 250 A class for 6 years, late 90s.. custom framed 250x with long travel shocks and a built 350x motor.... built Honda 110
    00s...... chomeoly framed 350 RX with all the goodies (thanks to my bro)
    2012.....Replaced the 350x motor for a 444cc YZ426
    WWW.HREATV.COM

--
    I believe what he says It true. Velocity speeds up the air flow & kinda acts like a supercharger. If you pulled air through a paper towl tube the velocity would stay the same In & out. If you pulled air through a transmission funnel, the velocity would be much higher, your scooping alot of air & forcing It through a small opening.

83 ATC 60-R Cr60 converted with Zinger parts.
    83 ATC 70.
    83 Tri zinger
    ATC 85-R Cr85 engine on shortened 86-R frame.
    ATC450AF
    86 310-R Drag racer
    440 snowmobile powered custom built.
    87 Cr 500 Converted to Drag racer

--
    I look at my V-Force reed cage and understand what this guy is getting at. The intake side of the cage is real small, smaller then a stock cage. It helps to icrease velocity.
    My feedback: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-ATC-Eric

Survivor! TF: 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13 Sandpuppies: 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 16, 17, 18 Imperial Invasion 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20

Everything Big Bore on FaceBook

--
    its totally true, it isnt necessarily "smaller" ports, but correctly shaped and sized ports. if you canoe down a river, where the river get narrow, it speeds up right? well, thats how an intake port is supposed to work , and when the air is going fast right the at the narrow part, the valve opens and the air "rams" itself into the cylinder. the key to head porting is making this theory work its best.
    1985 Honda ATC250R drag trike with s/t kit and full drag CR hybrid motor and drag chassis...
    1986 Honda ATC250R daily rider fully modded engine, +4 swinger,etc...
    1997 Polaris Storm 800 triple, boyesen reeds, dg individual silencers, 240 studs, 123mph on radar...

--
    Oh Boy !!!!
    "07" DR650 Suzuki Dual Sport

--
    I just read a little part of it.

"Then some of the charge gets pushed back out of the cylinder and into the port as the piston returns up the bore during the intake charging phase."

"It gets worse !
    On a carbureted bike the reversing charge will create an effect called double carburetion, which means the mixture will become even richer with fuel as it passes back over the main jet nozzle for a second time."

Ok now to test this theory take off your air filter and place a piece of paper over it If its blowing back out the carb then it will blow back onto the paper pushing it away from where the filter should be. BUT i have never seen this happen. Also with the increasing RPM's the more air is sucked so his theory of blowing back through the carb is even less effective. The only way this would work is if the valves arnt sealing.

Now im not saying everything hes saying is crap I do belive a high velosity port can be good. Some engines i port that way. Some i dont it depends on what they are looking for. In my experiences You will get more torque with a high velocity porting and high hp with BIG porting.

Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks Good porting is good porting who gives a *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* how its done, there is not right or rong if it runs good. He found what works for him but i will guarintee it wont work for everyone.

--
    These images seem relevant to this topic:

04' vs. 05' CRF250R

05' vs. 06' YFZ450

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Those are some very interesting pictures there GPRacer.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Golightly View Post
    Those are some very interesting pictures there GPRacer.
    yeah they are ... i'm wondering when i do the opposite to all the stuff i do ...
    "Compared to them Pics"
    Why is it FASTER ? ... HUMMMM
    "07" DR650 Suzuki Dual Sport

--
    www.3wheeler.org

* * * Nothing scares me more than someone who knows, with certainty, what is best for me * * *

--
    Quote Originally Posted by jenndnn3 View Post
    I like Jennings' book a lot. But I sure would like to see a new edition.

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Jennings book is great, but its about 30 years out of date

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //