//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: cr-atc 125r

--

cr-atc 125r

Well, i have a 84 cr125 sitting in my shed doing nothing, main reason being is its a dirt bike. Ive had lots of dirt bikes in the past but now i feel a little goofy on them, i like the 3rd wheel. So,.. i was thinking about converting this little turd into a trike. My first initial problem is finding a swingarm that will fit, i measured up one from a liquid 250r and its too wide, does anyone know what the width of a 200x swinger is?? I have a set of 200x tripples that i can use, also have a set of 84 250r forks, i will have to bore the tripples a little to get them in. I also have a front brake assy, front tire, rim, hub, axle, rear tires. I have a spare 250r rear axle. Another thing im somewhat concerned about is the rear shock, i have a spare liquid r rear shock, but im not really sure about how everything will line up. My other concern is chain alignment. Im not going to dive into this until i hear from you guys thoughts on it. Has anyone ever done this? Any other problems im missing? If i do happen to go ahead and do this it is going to be a low-budget project using mainly the extra parts i have kickin around at home.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02192.JPG  

--
    Now that would be an idea!! We wanted to do this with an old kx100 we had... Your main issue will be the rear assembly but im not sure the width of a 200x, somebody will chime in with that

--
    Well just for haha's i took the front end off and realized that it had the tapered insert bearings instead of the ball bearings like the 200x has, so i ruled out the 200x clamp idea. After a little digging i found the bottom half of a liquid clamp, couldnt find a top half though. Aside from needing stops welded on, the stem is a bit shorter on the r set-up. I think the stems can be pressed out, if this is the case i will just swap them, if not i will cut and add a piece to make up the difference. I was also thinking about the rear end, i have a spare 450r swinger that could be cut and grafted to the stock cr swinger so i can use the cr rear shock and linkage, but i really dont want to hack it up, but its there if push comes to shove and i decide to go ahead with this and cant come up with any other ideas.

--
    try an 83/84 250R tripple

--
    I went ahead and decided to go for it. I used the liquid r bottom tripple by cutting and adding a inch to the shaft, came out good. I had a spare set of forks so i threw them on. Dont mind the picked front tire, the hub just happened to be mounted to that rim and im just using it for mock anyway. I have a front tire and rim already that i will be using. For kicks i threw on a set of fenders and a seat to see how it would look, not too bad i guess. I will have to make a latch assy and some supports for the seat so it has something to rest on. Still waiting for someone to chime in with the 200x swinger width so feel free to join in!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02195.JPG  

--
    Things move quick!!!. is the cr 125 lightweight???

1984 Yamaha YTM-225DX
    1985 Tri-Z 1985 Tecate 1984 Tri-Zinger and 1986 ATC250R projects
    Yamaha 3-wheeler owners club Join now!
    Official 3WW Yamaha 3-wheeler owners group
    Québec 3-wheeler riders group

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamada View Post
    Things move quick!!!. is the cr 125 lightweight???
    Not really sure how much a stock one weighs, does seem light though. Should be a little screamer when its all said and done i hope.

--
    KOOL PROJECT,were in mass do you live?, ride?
    NO 3 WHEELERS CURRENTLY SOLD THEM ALL
    02 GSXR 240 kit STRECHED
    03 BANSHEE 421 CUB
    07 LTR 450
    08 RZR
    05 f7
    07 KLX 110
    670 ho skidoo powered banshee
    1985 nacs kx 80 race quad

--
    hey, if you have a 200x, use the sub-frame for the seat etc..
    one cylinder is not enough!!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Black86tri-z View Post
    KOOL PROJECT,were in mass do you live?, ride?
    I live in central mass, near the quabbin resivour. I dont have a 200x frame, i had one but tossed it about a year ago

--
    Im not sure if you all are going to be able to decipher what i am trying to show in the picture, but ill try to explain. I clamped a straight edge to the stock 125 swinger to show where the chain alignment falls, i put the cr swinger atop of a 450r swinger i was contemplating hacking and grafting to the 125 swinger. If you look closely i aligned the straight edge to the rear sprocket hub on the 450 swinger, as you can see to make the chain alignment correct it is going to throw the 450 carrier way off to the right. This i dont like. I can put one of the axle spacers that slide on near the hubs to one side and the other side the opposite to gain 5/8 of an inch, but the wheels will still be around 3/8 inch off to one side. I knew things were going to easy and i was going to run into some sort of problem! The more i think about it, i really would like to graft 2 swingers together, reason being is the rear shock assy is offset to one side. Maybee a narrower carrier assy would work better?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02197.JPG  

--
    Well im not having much fun trying to make a swinger for this turd. I had it set in my mind to use the front half of the cr swinger and the rear half of a 450r swinger and graft them together. I loaded up both the swingers to do the welding along with a 450r link that i wanted to shorten a bit for my 250r with the 450r rear end on it to make it sit up a little better. Well the shortening of the link was a disaster, seems as though it does not like to be welded. I dont weld aluminum but i happen to be good friends with someone who does, he is very good and has been a pro welder fabricater for 40 something years, well like i said the link wont take a weld and it seems the 450 swinger is made of the same crap. After seeing the mess it made of the link i backed out of cutting and trying to weld a nice swingarm. So......its back to the drawing boards, someone please shoot me some ideas!!!!

370banshee is offline Former 2strokefreak Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    take the measurements and make a 4130 chromoly swinger for it

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 370banshee View Post
    take the measurements and make a 4130 chromoly swinger for it
    But im lazy and cobbling up 2 swingers is so much easier! Your prob right and i should just bite the bullet and make something that will look nice.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffatc250r View Post
    But im lazy and cobbling up 2 swingers is so much easier! Your prob right and i should just bite the bullet and make something that will look nice.
    I think it would be easier to build a custom one... new material... clean slate... design a simple lightweight swinger to fit your exact needs...
    2-stroke lover

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //