//ArrowChat Code
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Gas tank polishing, Fix your old faded and oxidized plastic tanks to like NEW!

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Yet another satisfied customer :

Shawn72 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I just realized i've wasted alot of money over the years.
    It's a celebration bitches!!!

--
    NICE!!! i would have never thought of using that cause i am going through that right now on my 200x and was like what wiill work gonna have to give it a whirl thanks for the info

--

plastic polish

that turned out sweet.i have to try it on some of my stuff.probably get a work out too
    1985 ATC 250R
    . Team Red Trike

--
    Any input on how it did on sunfaded plastic?

--
    NOTE: I tried this method on my Clarke Sunfaded tank and it had no effect in recovering color.
    Nice and shiny, but still orange as a

HONDALUVR is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Take some 0000 steel wool ... coat the tank in wd40 . and rub ... I de-oxidize all my plastics this way ... then i take a power buffer on a drill and bring the plastics out to a better than stock shine ... the steel wool will need to be turned or replaced frequently but will give good results .... or use fine sandpaper and water and wet sand it and let the water clean the sandpaper then buff with your favorite wax and a power bufffer /// just my .02 cents worth ... I do it these ways all the time ...
    IT'S A TEAM GREEN THANG !!!

--
    The plastics are shiny as crap, but not red. They are colored burnt sierra orange.
    Or will steel wool get that out and help me re color my tank?

scottp597 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicJames View Post
    The plastics are shiny as crap, but not red. They are colored burnt sierra orange.
    Or will steel wool get that out and help me re color my tank?
    I'm not sure if you can get it back to red. Mine is the same way... if it is going to take a million hours to bring it back to red I will just buy a replacement tank in better shape

--
    Quote Originally Posted by HONDALUVR View Post
    Take some 0000 steel wool ... coat the tank in wd40 . and rub ... I de-oxidize all my plastics this way ... then i take a power buffer on a drill and bring the plastics out to a better than stock shine ... the steel wool will need to be turned or replaced frequently but will give good results .... or use fine sandpaper and water and wet sand it and let the water clean the sandpaper then buff with your favorite wax and a power bufffer /// just my .02 cents worth ... I do it these ways all the time ...
    Cool I am going to try this on the faded plastics on my 110.

Rob

--
    How would i do black plastics, I tried a spot underneath the front fender, and all it did was scratch the crap out of it, and turn it white.
    Leave feedback for me here : [Please Don't start another thread again!]
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...for-MagicJames

Current :
    86 250SX
    86 350X
    86 250R Project

Owned and Sold

85 250R
    2 ATC70's 84 and 79

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Your gonna need some different compound. Mothers seems to only work on plastic tanks. And even some it doesn't do real well.

--
    This was a plastic 250r fender, any suggestions?
    I started to wet sand the top of the fender, and the sanding seem work really well, just a little dull and white, but Chainsaw suggested some 3m buffing compound, so maybe that would work better.

Current :
    86 250SX
    86 350X
    86 250R Project

Owned and Sold

85 250R
    2 ATC70's 84 and 79

--
    Blog Entries
    I don't know what your using for compound, but its gonna need to be different than what is used on the tanks. They are very different plastics. I don't think the injection molded fenders are nearly as porous as the gas tanks.

--
    3M Perfect-It II Fine Cut rubbing compound.
    thats what he used, and for some reason i just assumed you could clean up fenders this way too...

Lots of wet sanding to do this weekend...

Current :
    86 250SX
    86 350X
    86 250R Project

Owned and Sold

85 250R
    2 ATC70's 84 and 79

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //