//ArrowChat Code
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Gas tank polishing, Fix your old faded and oxidized plastic tanks to like NEW!

--
    Lets se the tecate tanks. My tanks are almost teal with no white marks at all. I usually use a heat gun to remove the white marks and faded plastic. Not sure if this will bring out my tanks or not. Pretty bad looking.
    The Green No More Red EVER EVER EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!
    1985 KXT 250 Tecate
    1984 KXT 250 Tecate Parts machine
    1985 KXT 250 Tecate My vintage racer
    1983 KX 250
    Proud member of
    3wheelerworld.com
    3wheeler.org
    Planettrike.com
    Airfoolers.com
    http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/s...ad.php?t=80907

Mosh is offline I'm the one with all the 2 stroke around here! The day begins with 3WW
    --
    OK well gave this method another shot.
    I had a Short Track tank laying around that was faded badly and had some decent gouges in it.
    I had to wetsand this tank from 400 grit to 1000 grit, and then I hit it with the mothers polish.
    You can still see some of the remains of the deep gouges, but you really have to look for them.
    I need to do a final polish job on this, but I will wait till I get it mounted.That scratch is just a finger nail mark that I made while taking the photo. It wiped right off.
    Pics are in order from start to finish.

Here is where my long useless list of stuff nobody cares about should go...

Proudly NOT a member of

"Team on the Teat"

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    VERY nice Mosh!

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    You can try it, but it seems like the tecate tanks are made out of a different type of plastic than the Honda's. If you do, let us know the results!

--
    wd40 work great too with less srcubing

--
    You have that tank looking pretty good. I have been trying to perfect the method of polishing ATV plastic. I have a thread on this and it works great on white plastic and very well with the red. Any imperfections will show up on red plastic such as swirls . I am now in the process of fixing that problem I am sure. The solution I think is on the last step after wet sanding and buffing. It is called a "White Rouge" or maybe the "BLUE ROUGE". This product supposebly makes plastic look like glass and removes all swirls. I can make any atv plastic shine but I had a small problem with the red. I polished a 1985 ATC350X front fender, it turned out very nice and shiny but had some very fine swirls left, I beleive the blue or white rouge will make it perfect,like NOS. When I am done perfecting all the steps I will post this and have billy help me put this in the technical section of 3WW. "Below are the pictures of the 1985 350X fender I polished very close to NOS. I cannot even pick up the super fine and I mean super fine swirls on camera,there was not any kind of compound used. It turned out great for a rider and I beleive the ROUGE will make it perfect." Note picture number five is before,very bad shape and the fourth picture I had not finished sanding and the corner was scuffed,the others are the finished product.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1322..jpg   100_1312..jpg   100_1318..jpg   100_1300..jpg   100_1281..jpg   100_1307..jpg  

100_1308..jpg   100_1302..jpg  
    Last edited by honda200x1987; 02-25-2010 at 09:31 PM.

--
    haha, Glamy beat me to it. I was just recomending him here, LOL!
    1986 ATC250r
    1984 ATC70

--
    I just did a restore on a plastic tank that had smoke damage.
    Will post the pics before and after and let you know what I use.

Billys method looks good !! Nice and easy too.

--
    Kewl, let's see!

p26575r16 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    My '86 350x has a white clarke plastic tank on it that is a little yellowed. No oxidation or even scratches, just is a little yellowed. Will this method take the yellow out, or does anyone know how to? I really hate having nice white fenders and a yellow tank, but I can't bring myself to buy a new one when mine works fine.
    '86 350x
    '05 sportsman 500 (the couch)

--
    does anyone know if this method will work on my 1980 tri moti 125 fenders and plastic?

--
    Blog Entries
    Probably not by itself. Those yamaha fenders like need to be scraped first most of the time to get back down to good plastic. After thats done you could probably try the mothers trick to get it back to a high shine

--
    Quote Originally Posted by p26575r16 View Post
    My '86 350x has a white clarke plastic tank on it that is a little yellowed. No oxidation or even scratches, just is a little yellowed. Will this method take the yellow out, or does anyone know how to? I really hate having nice white fenders and a yellow tank, but I can't bring myself to buy a new one when mine works fine.
    I always used a SOS pad on my white clark R tank. It does mark it up a lil, but its white so they are damn near invisible!
    RPFLU member and co-owner.
    Hardtails is all we do.
    #NOLINK
    #MAKEHARDTAILSGREATAGAIN
    #SUSPENDTHIS

--
    I do know all Honda plastic tanks are made of polyproylene, a plastic can can be polished and is very durable. Clark tanks should be the same material but you would have to research that. check out my link .."More pictures of the fender I restored" This may help http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...der-I-restored

--
    Exactly what polish did you use to get out the fine swirls/scratches?
    Last edited by honda200x1987; 11-23-2011 at 12:45 PM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //