//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas tank polishing, Fix your old faded and oxidized plastic tanks to like NEW!

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries

Gas tank polishing, Fix your old faded and oxidized plastic tanks to like NEW!

OK, I bought this short track tank from a salvage place up in Indiana about a 20 minute drive from haspin during TF07 thanks to erectordale and dizastersfun69. It was faded terribly, but I got an OK deal on it, $80 for it and the shrouds. After riding the flat tracker with its black short track tank, I've come to really appreciate the feel it has with the narrow seat and tank area. I'm currently in the process of setting up my 86 R as a part time MXer. I did some suspension work on the front (with some parts I dont think anyone here has used yet ) and removed my IMS 4 gallon tank that was on it. So I decided to get this old tank out, and have a look at it. After looking it over, I had decided I was going to walk over to the house and get a box of razor blades I have and scrape the white fading off. LonesomeTriZ's wife Melissa first showed me this technique a few years ago and it works very well.

As I was on my way out the shop, I passed by a small container nearly empty of my favorite aluminum polish, Mothers mag and aluminum polish. For shits and giggles with absolutely no expectations of anything happening, I put some on a rag and rubbed on one of the places on the tank. I seen instant, albiet very small results. I applied a bunch at one time and scrubbed the shiat out of the one area, I was AMAZED at the results. Infact, if you look really close at my finger you can see a bit of a reflection horizontally across it.

The shine was awesome, like a brand new OEM finish. Maybe better! I've ended up using 2 different types of rags. One a little bit rouger, coarser type of material and then a yellow terry cloth like I normally use for brining the shine back into polished aluminum. The coarse red rag, after ALOT of scrubbing takes the oxide off, and then you can use the yellow terry cloth to really get it glossed over. The only downside to this, you have to use an awful lot of the polish to get good results. But hell, at $5 a can for the mothers I figure its worth the investment. I honestly had this gas tank written off as nothing more then a novelty that would never be usable. Its almost half way done now and will look almost like new when I'm done. This should be done to EVERY plastic fuel tank even if its not this bad just as preventive maintenance.

Will post more pics when I get closer to finishing it and of course also when it is done.

Mosh is offline I'm the one with all the 2 stroke around here! The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Dang Mothers and some rags ehh?Sure beats the crap out of wetsanding.I have afew R tanks I am gonna give it a shot. Did you have to use the razor blade too,or just the polish?
    Thanks Billy.
    Here is where my long useless list of stuff nobody cares about should go...

Proudly NOT a member of

"Team on the Teat"

--
    Nice find!!!!
    And that's the rest of the story. ~ Paul Harvey

"Yes its broken, but does that really surprise you?."
    "What happened? What does it look like happened?!?!"

--
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a Plastic ATC70 tank I might try that one. Thanks

1985 Tiger 250LC
    1985 Tiger 200LC

1985 ATC 350X
    1985 ATC 200x
    1973 ATC 70 (resto project)
    ATC 70 Full A+ Suspension Mini Tiger
    and many more!!!
    1991 District-6 Open 4 Wheel 4-Stroke Expert Hare Scramble Champ

Blue Line Graphics
    Custom and Reproduction Decals
    http://www.bluelinedecals.com/

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    No sanding, no razor blades. Mothers and some rags, IS IT! I did just experiment with a scour pad (Like for washin dishes) and had great success with it removing the oxide, the only thing is it gets clogged up pretty easily and then it doesnt work as good. I'm done for the evening but heres the current progress:

LOOK at the gloss, thats a reflection of my own hand about a foot above it!!!!

Half way there

Supplies.

I have noticed, if you scrub hard enough, or without enough polishing compound to make the plastic warm, it does not work nearly as good.

edog is offline I'm like an Original Gangsta...but a post whore instead. The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Looking good.The wax will wear off.It will dull a little.

Ever try using 3 Different course Scotch Brite pads?When they get clogged you can just blast them out with compressed air.

I used them to restore my 1988 KX 125 dirtbike gastank.

--
    Blog Entries
    edog, there is no wax. All I used is what I said. Mothers, some rags, and the scour pad on one spot. I dont think its gonna dull any but if it does then I'll hit it once a year with another rag and some compound and be good to go.

edog is offline I'm like an Original Gangsta...but a post whore instead. The day begins with 3WW
    --
    missed that,sorry.Try the scotch brite pads sometime.

--
    mothers is the best..

nice trick!~
    quiet people seem intelligent

--
    I've been using this method for years on Mustang and Topaz headlights. Any chrome polish works. Stuff with a bit of grit in it helps as well for the tough spots. Never thought about using it on a bike before tho.

--
    Blog Entries
    works good on fiberglass too! good stuff I buy the big TUB!

--
    You could have painted it for $11.00! Twice the price of the polish? I started to use rubbing compound on mine and ended up sanding it painting it. (see the thread of paint on the cheap). Looking good though.

--
    Yea but that tank you had was metal, these are plastic, it's a different process and pretty difficult too

--
    Did you try it with the powerball? It would be cool to get the wheels done and get the tank done at the same time
    Rest in peace Rex Carlson

--
    I definately have to give that a try...Looks like it beats the old wet sanding method.
    4 Strokes are NOT the wave of the future!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //