//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1995 Polaris XCR 600

--
    Quote Originally Posted by motoman110 View Post
    i have a 96 xc600 triple with psi pipes that dump out the side!
    Last winter I had a Yamaha V-Max 500SX that I fit a set of AAEN side-exit hillclimb pipes to (mini-silencers in the stinger of the pipe), it sounded EVIL.
    I'm back in the USSR...

--
    What is the compression across the board on that thing? 500 bones is not bad. Pipe that thing and wake it the hell up. Inspect the pto crank seal on that thing too. Magneto side will hold up. But the heat on the primary side kills those seals after time. The seals on the primary side can be done without splitting the cases. Make sure that p-85 clutch is in good shape to. Old ones are prone to hair line cracking on the triples. Check for slop i the weights, spyder, and for flat rollers! Also the keihin carbs on those things are a pain in the arse. Make sure throttle and choke cable are good! Those choke cables have a tendency to come apart. Make sure the choke plungers are good and moving free. Also inspect carb boots and reeds! VERY IMPORTANT. One little air leak and goodbye motor.

MOTOR MOUNTS on that hog! Guarenteed they are probably JUNK! Check em. Grab hold of that primary and she if the motor rocks in the bulkhead.

Front H-arm of the rear suspension. Check for cracks! Must have replaced a hundred of them. Xtra ten and Xtra twelve suspensions.

Check that oil pump as well for proper adjustment.

Be sure to check the waterpump and its belt. Those things also eat waterpumps. Pricey item almost 400 bucks!

Also would suggest new track shaft bearings and all new boogie wheel bearings. Those wheels are traveling at 3000 surface feet per minute most of the time. The are wasted after a season most times.

I have worked on polaris sleds for over 7yrs at a dealership now. This is all from prior experience on these animals. When they run good. They are absoulute animals. Good luck with your endevours on this rocketship.

XTRA LETTUCE & TOMATO!!!

Russell 350X is offline Testicles between my toes at the devils backbone Teaching quads a lesson
    --
    Quick update on the XCR:

Last decent snowfall we had it ate up a crank bearing on the PTO side. Looks like its gonna be a summer project top/bottom engine overhaul. Any tips with this? In-engine mods that can be done with this sled? Any input appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails buttsex.jpg  
    TF 07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14!
    Raffa's IceFest 08, 09, 10,11,13!

SAY IT!!!!!BUD LIGHTS AND RED LIGHTS!!!!!!

--
    ok this engine is the same as the xlts and they are very prone to blowing cranks. if your rebuilding the crank have a machine shop weld the crank pins and balance the crank. also get the updated pto bearing its wider than the old engines. the 600 monoblock makes 95 hp stock and has a fairly annoying bog out of the hole but there are some things you can do to get a little power out of them. triple pipes if you want fairly quiet ones get Aaens they make good power PSI's are ok but they are annoying loud Deckers make the most power but are hard to find and never buy DG they make less than stock. also take about 20 thousanths off the head (if you dont mind running 93 octane) have it ported the exchange ports are small on the 600's. get ufo's for the carbs(ultimate fuel optimizers) they are good for 6hp alone

after all that youll have about 125hp
    any other questions just ask im a Polaris fanatic and have been tinkering with them a lot

--
    oh if you get new pistons buy wiseco pro lites

Russell 350X is offline Testicles between my toes at the devils backbone Teaching quads a lesson
    --
    Thanks dude

--
    Surprise surprise on the bearing failure. Your not the only one who's experienced that for sure.

Prolites = junk... stay stock. Have them weighed on a triple beam balance scale and grind small amounts out of the bottoms of the domes of the pistons and make them all weight the same!

Crank = Indy's correct on that. Have the pins tig'd in and have it balanced. Best shop i can recommend is Northern Crankshaft. There in minnesota. There is also a decent fellow in Lowville,NY

Pipes = Aaen top notch stuff but pricey. Definetly worth every penny.

REPLACE ALL MOTOR MOUNTS!

Carbs = Stay away from UFO's chit's junk. You going to notice the aledged 6 ponies. BULLSHIT. Get some reeds!

Verify oil pump and water pumps operation.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by honda250sx View Post
    Carbs = Stay away from UFO's chit's junk. You going to notice the aledged 6 ponies. BULLSHIT. Get some reeds!
    Do the XLT motors even have reeds? The one I tore down was a piston-port engine.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRider_AK View Post
    Do the XLT motors even have reeds? The one I tore down was a piston-port engine.
    Mine does not have reeds.

--
    You are correct and i was wrong

--
    I just picked up a 93 xlt triple 6 and I found a great little site for specs information. http://www.geocities.com/schmidt92/polaris_faq.html The 93 and 94's looks like they were the most reliable. also if you want to do some tweaking they make a little thing called UFO's(ultimate flow optimizers)http://www.thunderproducts.com/u_f_o.htm . These are great and reliable sleds, I know mine was clocked at 110mph on the ice with a gun and thats stock.
    "Trikes are like Wifes, only REAL men can handle them!"

85 Honda 350x
    85 Honda 200x modded a little
    85 Honda 200s
    87 Honda 125trx

--
    ive seen dyno sheets from ufo's and its proven about 1 hp per 100cc's. and pro-lite pistons are far from junk the stock fugi pistons are heavy and often have flaws. heavy pistons means 2 things less power and more stress on the crank.
    either way both pistons are good but if your looking for reliable power increase get wiseco.
    honda250sx you were probably thinking of the '96 and newer xcr 600 engines. they had case reeds...
    Last edited by lndy650; 05-03-2008 at 06:44 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRider_AK View Post
    If you're gonna put pipes on it, remember that XLT motors were prone to blowing up the crank when you actually get decent power out of them due to a crappy crank bearing design. Just a warning.
    That was the pre '95 580cc tripples not the '95 and newer 597cc tripples.

--
    . true

--

Update

I pulled the motor, and split the cases tonight, and sure enough its the PTO side crank bearing, there were little chunks of bearing in the bottom on the case. I also saw that all 3 of my pistons are scored all to hell, but it had good compression across all 3, and the PTO side head is pitted bad on the dome. I just opened a can of nasty worms, getting the crank done right, getting all the updated bearings, bore job and everything else, I'm lookin at spending 700-800$+ . I'll try to get pics of the carnage soon.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //