//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Terminology

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries

Terminology

If your new to racing, some of the terms might be confusing or you might not understand them. Here is the start of an appendix for you in no particular order thus far:

Flat track: Typically, oval shaped tracks in varations from 1/4 mile in length to 3/8 mile or more. May also be Round (circle track) or even D-shaped. Flat tracks are almost always a real hard packed, sticky type of clay that gives extreme amounts of hook up.

Hook up: Traction, the amount your wheels and tires spin or slide.

Blue Groove: What happens to a flat track after it has been ran on enough that the rubber from the racers tires actually transfers down to the clay and starts leaving big black places on the track similar to asphalt. Although the clay and the rubber compounds mix and sometimes cause a chemical reaction that makes the rubber streaks look blue in color.

Heat: Although race formats vary from track to track and series to series a heat race is normally a way to eliminate riders and get the total amount to be racing in the Main event to a more managable # that can all be ran on the track at one time. IE, track can only handle 20 racers at one time on the track, 40 racers in one class the heats are used to eliminate and advance riders to a # that can be ran all at one time in "The final/Main event". IE, Heat #1 10 riders advance, 10 riders do not. Heat #2, 10 riders advance, 10 riders do not. The top 10 riders from each heat will go to the main event. In some situations (as discussed below) an LCQ may then be ran with the racers that did not advance from the first and second heats, where the single winner only will advance to the main event. If using heat races to control the amount of racers in a main event is not necessary, it may be similar to a practice, but will normally actually use the starting gate or normal race procedure VS just coming onto the track like you would in a practice. Typically used in MX, flat track, TT.

LCQ (Last Chance qualifier): Similar to a heat race, but in instances where it is necessary only the first place finisher of this race will advance to the main event. Typically used in MX, Flat Track, and TT only when there are more riders in a class then the track can handle at one time for a main event.

Main event: The last race of the event, normally the most important one. Depending on the venue you may be scored exclusively on how you finish in the main event or with a combination the outcome in your heat(s) AND main event.

--
    Here are several more

TT: type of track Turns left and right with a jump or hill somewhere in the track. Many times ran on the infield of an oval track.

Class C: Type of tire your limited to, Hoosier, American racer, basicaly a flattrack tire only, is allowed on the track

Open traction: typicaly a dirt track rather than clay will run open traction. Knobbies or class C's are ok for open traction

Holeshot: who comes out first directly after the start.

When i think of more i will put them up

--
    Know what tt stands for? Tourist Trophy.. theres my nugget for the day...
    1997 Kawasaki Bayou 220
    2004 Yamaha YFZ450
    1985 Honda 250ES
    1982 Honda 185s For Sale

--
    Spray: The use of Nitrous on your ragg

Ragg: Your bike haha

--
    driffting: the process of a controled slide through the ac of a curve

donut: making circles in the dirt!

J-turn: quick 180 turn, most commonly refered to as the "state patrole"

Triple B! is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

new to this stuff =D

I have sometimes heard the term ' tossed around on websites and in conversation....

Is it the same as an air cooler? if not what it is exactly?

--
    Its a term sometimes used for air cooled Honda 250r's.
    Current rides
    83 185s
    06 Rancher ES
    95 Ford F150 4X4
    2000 Ford Explorer Sport

--
    Here is a racing term I particularity like:
    "Get Off"

I went into the turn to hot and had a pretty bad get off.

that means being ejected from the seat in lots of different ways - sometimes even on purpose - example:

"I was climbing devils backbone and my trike started to flip over backwards - I had a pretty clean get off"

No perverted-ness on this term, please guys!
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

--
    Just thought of another one. (this is typical with the quads)

Over hooked- Behing hooked up too much. Not allowing any slide or give. Typicaly if your over hooked your bike rides like your running on asphault Wheeling out of the turns. Hard to steer but getting maximum traction.

--
    Blog Entries
    Fanning: or fanning the clutch..

pulling in the clutch ever so slightly, to make the clutch slip in a corner, to keep your bike in the powerband and or on the pipe..

On the pipe:
    when you bike is at 3/4-full throttle in high Revs, continuing to make power.

--
    Yard sale = usually involves 2 or more machines getting together typically in the first turn of an out door MX track, resulting in a left over pile of parts. In most cases, parts can be purchased later for pennies on the dollar.

Garage sale = same as above, but in an indoor track.
    Last edited by Mrs.Mosh; 04-13-2009 at 09:22 PM.
    1981 ATC 70
    1978 ATC 90
    1985 ATC 250R
    1993 modded Banshee."Sounds like an Indy car on crack"

www.cosmicquads.com

--
    Here is another one....

Moto-Ho = Typically can be found littering the track in a mini skirt, because they are unaware of the difference between a clutch lever and a tire. Can most often be seen text messaging. Also, these are the ones their mothers told them they better marry rich.
    Will take your wallet, if you do not pay close attention.
    1981 ATC 70
    1978 ATC 90
    1985 ATC 250R
    1993 modded Banshee."Sounds like an Indy car on crack"

www.cosmicquads.com

--
    Track-Rat= young kids at the races found scrounging for posters stickers and the corporate banner

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //