//ArrowChat Code
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum 450r 3 wheeler.

--
    is there an issue with starting it with the rear plastics being so close to the kick start??

--
    I used a YZ125 kicker, and It clears the fenders without a problem. You have to use your heal on the kicker, but once you get used to It It's great.

I built the YTZ 450 for Derrick Adams with his Input. We built It to fit him, everything was put exactly where he wanted It.

83 ATC 60-R Cr60 converted with Zinger parts.
    83 ATC 70.
    83 Tri zinger
    ATC 85-R Cr85 engine on shortened 86-R frame.
    ATC450AF
    86 310-R Drag racer
    440 snowmobile powered custom built.
    87 Cr 500 Converted to Drag racer

--
    Jason you have some bad azz skills, you should write up a parts list and spec sheet on this build and post it, this would be something I would build, AWSOME job dude.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by muddobber View Post
    Jason you have some bad azz skills, you should write up a parts list and spec sheet on this build and post it, this would be something I would build, AWSOME job dude.
    Thanks for the compliment on the 450. Not sure what to say about a spec release, I have and will give out info to people who want to and have built similar 3 wheelers.

83 ATC 70.
    83 Tri zinger
    ATC450AF
    86 310-R Drag racer

audioworks04 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Im with Jason, this is not something for anyone to take on. It requires lots and lots of time and patience along with some equipment that most dont have access to. Jason was a huge help with my af build and I am sure would be glad to guide other in, as would I. But once again not a project just anyone.

2005 CRF450R Alum Frame build done, switching to inverts.
    86 trx250r fmf fatty fmf q k&n v force reeds gold valve rear shock with eibach spring.
    86 atc250r stock sand only
    88 NX250 mint rainy day
    85 kawi js550 stand up basicly stock
    87 kawi js550 scary fast for a stand up

--
    This machine could be done much easier. I love how mine turned out, and built it just how (I) wanted it to feel. Since this was built a lot has been learned. Bike conversions are getting easier as newer parts get easier to find. I will be building another Aluminum framed bike soon. As soon as I finish a couple other projects, I will get started. The next one will take half the time and not require any frame mods.

83 ATC 70.
    83 Tri zinger
    ATC450AF
    86 310-R Drag racer

--
    Jason what is your opinion on steel framed units vs alum? how would rate the abuse and general neglect one frame would see?

Twisting, bending, jumps, stress that kinda info. Im curious about this. I love my 450 but hate the weight
    RPFLU member and co-owner.
    Hardtails is all we do.
    #NOLINK
    #MAKEHARDTAILSGREATAGAIN
    #SUSPENDTHIS

xrider is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hall View Post
    This machine could be done much easier. I love how mine turned out, and built it just how (I) wanted it to feel. Since this was built a lot has been learned. Bike conversions are getting easier as newer parts get easier to find. I will be building another Aluminum framed bike soon. As soon as I finish a couple other projects, I will get started. The next one will take half the time and not require any frame mods.
    You got my attention with aluminum frame with no modifications. That's the route I will likely go next as well. Looking forward to seeing the build Jason!

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    The later model 450s (2005 and up?) have less rake than the earlier years, right?

--
    The rake angle is steeper on the 05 and up CRF, but that is not that important. As long as the rear suspension is setup correctly, that is where the rake angle is set. What will make these conversions easier is the fact that the YFZ450 rear end can be fitted to the bike frame Rather easy. All of the bolt diameters for the linkage and Swingarm are the correct size stock. The YFZ linkage is basically a modern more compact design that was engineered to be used on a shorter ATV Swingarm. So another words IMO the YFZ linkage and shock is pretty much a better choice than a old school CR500 link. The 500 link was designed for a Longer dirtbike Swingarm. The YFZ shock is also VERY close to the same length as the dirtbike shock. The only real mod to the frame would be tabs to mount the subframe. I will be building a simple bolt on subframe that will be much easier than modifying a stock TRX450 unit.

83 ATC 70.
    83 Tri zinger
    ATC450AF
    86 310-R Drag racer

--
    Josh, I don't see a problem with the frame holding up. I built my original aluminum framed bike and have not had a problem. The sides of the frame are honeycomb on the inside, and are extremely strong. As far as weight, I would bet a stock steel dirtbike frame would be just as light as the aluminum frame. The aluminum frame might even be heavier as it takes more aluminum to maintain flexability and strength. I just love aluminum lol.. So that is why I built mine. It was modern, and the aluminum looks Cool lol..

83 ATC 70.
    83 Tri zinger
    ATC450AF
    86 310-R Drag racer

--
    The whole TRX conversion is heavy. The engine is bigger, the wiring harness is bigger, the frame is heavier, etc.
    We've made lots of headway on bike conversions. We are constantly looking at suspensions, shocks, linkages and swing arms.
    Last edited by Derrick Adams; 10-10-2013 at 08:05 PM.
    2007 YAMAHA YTZ450 went to a great home RIP Sam

--
    Jason and Derrick - I would bet that the Aluminum bike conversion trikes weight at least 30 - 40 pounds less than a steel conversion (and that is being conservative). Alot of that weight I know is from the heavier TRX motor. I know what Josh is saying though. When I pick up the rear of Jason's CRF conversion it feels so feather light compared to my TRX conversion. It's all in what you are used to I guess. I feel more comfortable on a Big Red in the woods than I do on say a much much lighter 200X.

That being said, other than jumping (comment intended for the Canadian Squirrel) would not the heavier bike be better for traction (we all know that MX races get very muddy from time to time) and possibly cornering? Cornering could be debatable, but more weight over the front end = better grip in the turns. Just saying........... Not saying any one is better than any other, as in my opinion, Jason Hall's CRF conversion is the best trike on the planet, hands down! (only thing that would make it better would be Electric Start )

But lets face it - we are talking trikes here, not quads and bikes. The majority of us are not doing 100' triples - cornering IMHO means the most in modern day trike racing! Timmy200 has spoken!
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

--
    Funny I remember on a rainy day at the end of July him talking about that trike.Don't think I can post up a lot of the color full words he used.Did say it is a animal though.

--
    Timmy200, you bring up a couple good points.. It's no secret that a 3 wheeler can use a bit more weight up front. That is a big reason why I Don't lighten up my triple clamp kits. I don't think the weight of the clamps helps a real lot with cornering, as it does when the bike is flying when jumped. When Derrick and I built his Tri-Z 450 we made his clamps out of steel, just to add weight to the front of the bike.. IMO with the added weight up front, one Canadian Squirrel can accelerate up the face of the jump harder and would have that added weight to help keep the front end from flying to hi.. As for cornering, the wheelbase is part of the secret to that, along with body English and front tire choice. Honestly in the mud I would rather ride a 2 stroke, just because the 450's (especially the Hondas) make a lot of tire spinning torque through out the entire RPM range. So in the mud, the 450 will sit and spin, and the 2 stroke will spinn, but has forward motion because of less torque, less weight, and Quick revving Old fationed HP. Also the 450's just LOVE to stall in the mud because if the rear brakes lock the wheels for a micro second the engine is dead with little chance of bump starting the hi compression beast..

Also Timmy200, my 450 now has had electric start as of about 2 weeks after this years dune trip. I plucked the 02 CRF450R engine, installed the top end of that engine onto the top of a FRESH 05 CRF450X bottom end. There were a couple small things that needed to be modded, but overall it was a pretty simple swap. So now the Ol girl has electric start Woo Hoo.
    Last edited by Jason Hall; 10-11-2013 at 12:56 PM.

83 ATC 70.
    83 Tri zinger
    ATC450AF
    86 310-R Drag racer

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //