//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: crazy idea for a shop class project

--

crazy idea for a shop class project

now, i recently aqquired a 1987 honda cr80 dirtbike...i'm not gonna lie, its a fun little bike to ride. BUT, i've always been fond of 3 wheelers, and i've come also got a swingarm, which i believe is from a 200X. I've got some pictures, so maybe someone could help me identify it. I've also got the 3 wheeler shock, but i doubt it'd fit on that little bike without some hacking, which i'm trying to avoid. Getting triple clamps to put a 3 wheeler tire out front is gonna be the hardest part, i'm not exactly an expert machinist. Once i get it into my shop class and get it torn apart, it'll be easier to see exactly what to do. I've looked around at some other dirtbike conversions (cr125 and 250) but i was wondering if anyone has converted a cr80 specifically? any help is muchly appreciated!!!

now lets see if i can remember how to put up pictures...its been awhile!

--
    well i guess i gotta use photobucket.... sorry bout the hugeness

Last edited by G-Ram; 12-08-2007 at 07:45 PM.

--
    Im in the process of doing somthing similar...Im using a 1982 CR80 though. For the triples, I used a lower one from an 86 200x, and a top one and forks from an 83-85 200x. I had to modify the bearing races on the frame, and some of the races/spacers on the triples, but I made it fit. I dont know if this would work for yours, 87 is liquid cooled right? Im not sure if the triples would clear the radiators.

I havent figured out what Im going to do for the swinger yet, I know for a fact that Im gonna have to use at least the part of the swinger that bolts to the frame due to how mines mounted. Ill end up cutting it and welding it with another swinger, but Im still looking for the perfect quad to use a rear end out of. Im thinking about using a rear end out of a 230cc+ chinese quad, it would be about the perfect fit.

Seat and rear fenders, I dont know what I will use. Im gonna go with probably 18" rear tires and find a smaller front rim that fits a 200x hub, or at least a smaller tire. I plan on using mine for ice racing if I ever get it done. I have a thread on my build you could search for, like I said Im still not finished, but it should help you get started or at least some ideas on what you would like to do.

HTH!!

-Nick
    1988 Chevy Silverado 5.9L Cummins : 1986 ATC250R : 2012 Polaris RZR 570 :

98% of Americans say 'OH $#!T!!' before going into a ditch on an icy road. The other 2% are Alaskans, and they say 'Here, hold my beer and watch this!!'

--
    thanks alot man...btw are my pictures working? my internet has been on the fritz so i don't know if it just won't load them for me or if i didn't do it right...

--
    Im pretty sure, was it Jason Hall? Built his son an 80 that looked like a little 250R. That thing ripped! AND looked really cool.

I dont know if it was a conversion or what, all I know is that thing was fast, and COOL!
    My feedback: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-ATC-Eric

Survivor! TF: 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13 Sandpuppies: 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 16, 17, 18 Imperial Invasion 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20

Everything Big Bore on FaceBook

--
    Yeah it was Jason Hall who built it, but it was a CR60. Pretty hot lookin bike. He has a picture of it on the second page of my cr80 thread.

G-Ram, I cant see the pictures,, can anyone else??

-Nick

98% of Americans say 'OH $#!T!!' before going into a ditch on an icy road. The other 2% are Alaskans, and they say 'Here, hold my beer and watch this!!'

--
    hmmm...i'll try to fix em

--
    Pics work now,,,and yeah thats all 200x stuff, 83-85.

-Nick

--
    ohhh ok, i was unsure of what gen. of X the swinger came from. thanks a bunch
    here's a couple pictures of the bike

i did some measuring, the 3 wheeler swinger is about 2 inches shorter (approximately) but from what i can tell, is about the same width where it mounts up. i'm hoping that making a custom lower link to lower the back end will even out the shorter length. now for the front end, could i not just use triple clamps from a 3 wheeler, but the fork tubes from the dirtbike? or should i try and find a complete front end? leading or trailing axle?

--
    If you are going to use a 3 wheeler triple, I would just use the forks that came with it. They would probably have better legnth to match the rear end being lowered, easier to use an axle with, and it would support the bike better then dirtbike forks. I would keep it trailing because that bike will turn out longer then you realize, and it heps to turn the wheel around to lose some legnth. I would watch the triples against that radiator though, they may not clear it. To give you an idea, I have 200x triples on mine, and the right side of the tank on yours is the same as mine, and the triples will touch it, but I havent welded steering stops on yet.

I would check that swinger width closer, I think mine was really close to fitting, but it would require running with out the end seals. Also, the motor on mine mounts as part of the swinger, so I would check that first.

-Nick

--
    wow nice lil 80 - i dont think i could do it to the bike-

--
    the only question i have is how are you going to adjust the chain tension with that 200x swinger? i think you would be better off going with a swinger from and 86-87 200x or a 350x or a 85-86 250r swinger since they have an adjustable carrier and thats waht you need. that 83-85 200x swinger wont work unleed you modify the frame where it bolts up with a slider for it to be adjusted back and forth.
    ATC500AF

--
    those are some good points...i totally forgot about the motor mounting with the swingarm bolt. Guess i'm just gonna have to dig around and see if i can't find another dirtbike and 3 wheeler swinger with an adjustable carrier.

by the way, how do you adjust the chain tension on a 83-85 X if it doesn't have an adjustable carrier?

--
    The 83-85 200x has the adjustment in the frame. Kinda a goofy setup actually.

Yeah man, that li' 80 is in too nice a shape. That thing would clean up really nice with a little elbo grease. Why don't you clean it up and sell it and put the money into your project.
    And that's the rest of the story. ~ Paul Harvey

"Yes its broken, but does that really surprise you?."
    "What happened? What does it look like happened?!?!"

--
    yeah, it is in pretty good shape. I'll see if i can't find anything a little more suitable to my project.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //