//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dirt Bike to 3 Wheeler conversion

--

Dirt Bike to 3 Wheeler conversion

Is it possible to take a dirt bike and convert it into a 3 wheeler by putting an atv swingarm and axel on the back?

--
    It's being done by someone right now, but it's not easy. http://3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=73779
    It's more than just putting the swingarm on and calling it done. You have to change the front end too, since the stock dirtbike front end would sit too high. What type of dirtbike were you thinking of doing it to?
    [b]'83 200X-
    White/Blue:
    The 2 stroke 200X
    Vids:http://youtube.com/watch?v=HwDqUVM9jOo

--
    I work at a motorcycle dealership and they have a couple used kawasaki's, a 92' 250 and a 86' 250. I didn't know if a swingarm would bolt right up or if it would need modification.
    Last edited by auslentfer; 12-11-2007 at 11:28 PM.

--
    hey, they aren't hard to do if you have access to a lot of parts. engines are the reason most atv's are scrapped.
    one cylinder is not enough!!

--
    It will most likely need modification. You would probably need to use half of the dirt bike swinger and half of the atv swinger. Theres another one that somebodys making on here that did exactly that, I'll try to find it for you in a minute.

EDIT: Here it is http://3wheelerworldforums.com/showt...highlight=125R
    [b]'83 200X-
    White/Blue:
    The 2 stroke 200X
    Vids:http://youtube.com/watch?v=HwDqUVM9jOo

KASEY is offline weee weeee weeeeeeeeeee ! ! ! The day begins with 3WW
    --
    its alot of work,,, to do it right,,, if you want something that handles right ,,or you can just golt some stuff together and call it a trike,,,,heres one

--
    Quote Originally Posted by auslentfer View Post
    I work at a motorcycle dealership and they have a couple used kawasaki's, a 92' 300 and a 86' 250. I didn't know if a swingarm would bolt right up or if it would need modification.
    The tecate swingarm will go right on the '86 KX ... But I have mocked up a trike front and rear-end on a '85 kx250 frame I had and it wasnt pretty... The forks had way too much rake, there was very little gound cleance under the engine.. The footpegs were too far back... The subframe and seat was way too tall, And I suspect that even after a custom one was built it still would not have been right... You are best off to get a trike frame and adapt some of the dirtbike parts to fit...
    Last edited by cr480r; 12-09-2007 at 07:45 PM.
    2-stroke lover

--
    Dam West coast guys..... Your bikes always look good, just one year in the East beats the heck outta everything....

Anyhoot, yeah lots of guys do it. Some do it well and some just do it. To be done right it takes time, money and patience. If it was easy we'd all be doing it.

But, it always fun to watch the build regardless of the outcome.
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

300rman is offline My other user 3WW ID was Nitebiker07. Teaching quads a lesson
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by KASEY View Post
    its alot of work,,, to do it right,,, if you want something that handles right ,,or you can just golt some stuff together and call it a trike,,,,heres one
    you need to do what that other guy didand put an R motor in that thing.........that would kick ass!

--
    THATS WHY THERE RED CARS AND BLUE CARS,,, everyone has a different ideas.... if i wanted it to be fast i would have dropped a punched out cr 125 motor in it,,,

--
    I can vouch for what Kasey said as well. Its very difficult to make a bike conversion handle correctly. But honesty I think its also alot of fun to work on a project like this. you might not have the nicest looking bike or the best handling but at least you can say its your own creation.

Just think maybe someday in 80 years someone will pickup a custom bike who's builder is long gone and say, wow, someone put alot of work in this thing.

And that's the rest of the story. ~ Paul Harvey

"Yes its broken, but does that really surprise you?."
    "What happened? What does it look like happened?!?!"

--
    Kasey, what front hub, rim, and tire did you use on yours? Im trying to find a smaller one for the front of my conversion, a 200x rim/tire is way too big. Thanks

-Nick
    1988 Chevy Silverado 5.9L Cummins : 1986 ATC250R : 2012 Polaris RZR 570 :

98% of Americans say 'OH $#!T!!' before going into a ditch on an icy road. The other 2% are Alaskans, and they say 'Here, hold my beer and watch this!!'

--
    in 2002 when i built my 500 there were hundreds of opinions on why it was a bad idea,,,,,,, BUT not one built machine on the boards to compare with,, so i stayed with a 250r chassis,,, i knew the handling would be good and i would not have to build one off suspension, i focused on getting the motor in right , ,, its been 5 years and its still going strong,,, with a 6+ swingarm and a revalved rear shock irs a fantastic dune trike,,, hillshooting, rim riding,,70 mph passes through the whoops it rocks!!! here is a pict of both, at glamis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N7moEmDSKk
    Last edited by KASEY; 12-10-2007 at 01:09 AM.

--
    All you your builds are always awesome Kasey, i only hope that some of my stuff will aspire to be a well put together as your bikes.
    And that's the rest of the story. ~ Paul Harvey

"Yes its broken, but does that really surprise you?."
    "What happened? What does it look like happened?!?!"

--
    Anything is possible with parts, tools and an imagination! What bike are you considering using? Its all the little things that take time, and a lot of it is trial and error. I have a thread in the mad scientist lair called cr-atc125r.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //