//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ATC185s conversion to T3 type swinger

--

Cool ATC185s conversion to T3 type swinger

-I'm converting a 185s to a racer by adding a Tecate type swinger. As you know, the 185s had NO rear suspension, so I will basically be reworking the whole back half of the trike. I will be using the stock axle and carrier for now...will maybe change it later. As you know, the 185s and BRs adjusted the chain by pivoting the whole axle carrier. I will use this same setup. So if you are familiar with the earlier T3s, they still used this old setup...My swinger will look similar. I have purchased a nitrogen shock off of a yamaha crotchrocket- R6 I think. It is too stiff I know but I think I can compensate that by using extreme linkage geometry. I will be using rectangular tubing for the swingarm. I am using wristpins out of an automotive engine as bushings (about 5/8 ID). These should have optimum wear characteristics. I don't know if I can even drill them for zerks though? Another thing I have been kicking around with my shock linkage is making it adjustable. Why not put a turnbuckle in the middle of the rear connecting link? This way I can change shock height and ultimately change ride height, you know go from motocross to ice racing in a few minutes. Any way I have been putting off chopping my frame because this is my daily driver. I want to get everything figured out and then just do the project all at once. I decided I need some rear suspension after bending 2 axles, cracking a wheel and bending another. I do some way too extreme stuff for a ridgid axle trike. I'm lookin' at buyin' a Tecate but until then this will be a neat project. Any input is much appreciated! thanks.

A few questions:

-I am always bottoming out my forks. I installed heavier springs and different valving by TerryKit. What will putting synthetic Shelbourne 80w gear oil in my forks hurt? It will definately stiffen them up. I am currently running 10w-30w.

-Also I read a thread on hydroforming and am kicking around the idea of making an exhaust with a small expansion chamber (kind of like FMF powerbomb) here's link http://i.timeinc.net/mx/content/imag...rotopipesm.jpg this is an FMF prototype for 4stroke mx bikes

-Also any input on the adjustable shock linkage would be appreciated.
    Last edited by ATC185R; 12-16-2007 at 03:41 PM.

runaway is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    helloi
    if you want you could look for my 185s project i put a 200x rear on mine i wouldnt advise doing it my way. here are some photos that i found on ebay if i had to do it again i would do it this way. hope these help if you need more info pm me i will give it .

hey if you decide to go this route please post your dimension's and all measurements for the rest of the board.

--
    Ya, I've seen conversions like this before. I appreciate the pics. I think I want to build something with more travel though, something that will take more abuse. My rear end should look similar to an R or an X when I'm done.

--
    hello
    no prob,heres wat i wound up with.

--
    Sweet...The reason I'm goin' to keep the original axle carrier is so I don't have to add the 200x style chain tensioner like you did. It looked like a pain in the ars to notch the frame to accomodate the room to make your swinger bolt adjustable fore and aft. Seems like it would weaken it a lot too.

--
    hello
    its welded up pretty good i still need to add some gussets to the chain adjustment area. why dont you just get a light alumi one from a four wheeler as long as it adjusts from the rear. it sure would be alot easier to make the mount and you shouldnt have to cut the back bone of your frame. you could mount it up like the guy did in the pictures i posted earlier.

--

CalFab I think

Heres what I am plannin' on using as a pattern. Aftermarket swinger for an early Tecate. This should be fun as hell to fab. I'm gonna enjoy it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 679b_1.jpg   6727_1.jpg   6884_1.jpg  
    Trikes: US90, ATC110, ATC185, ATC185S, ATC200E, ATC200X, Piped/Ported/Pissed Off '83 Airfooler, 465X project

Bikes: YZ450F, CRF450R, XR500R, 2 YZ465s, CR250R

--
    Looks like a factory 86/7 Tecate swingarm
    My toys 85 KXT250A2, 85 ATC250R, 85 Tri-z 250, 06 LT-R450, 04 YFZ450S, 07 125 typhoon x 3, 06 FPV GT.

--
    wouldnt a 200x chassis swap be easier?

boy i thought i was i nuts for putting a 300ex rear end on a 200x.

--
    ya a chasis swap would be easier. I already have too much time and money invested in the front end of this trike and figured I might as well go all out on the rear end. Unless somebody has a cheap 200x roller and then I could make an auto-x. That would be sweet I guess then I could sell my current trike as a 185 roller with extremely good front forks
    Trikes: US90, ATC110, ATC185, ATC185S, ATC200E, ATC200X, Piped/Ported/Pissed Off '83 Airfooler, 465X project

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC185R View Post
    Heres what I am plannin' on using as a pattern. Aftermarket swinger for an early Tecate. This should be fun as hell to fab. I'm gonna enjoy it
    aftermarket swinger? stock 86/7 swinger looks like to me.
    1985 KXT 250 Tecate - kx cylinder, kx ignition, bassani headpipe, answer silencer, v-force reeds, 38mm airstyker carb, +2 franks swinger, raptor rear shock.

1996 YSF240 Blaster - maxxed out!!!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "HOLY SH-T, what a ride!"

--
    atc185r, what have you done with the front end? You have me curious now.

--

TerryKit

Old school TerryKit valving and heavier one-piece springs. I run heavier oil and they perform about the same or better than a 200x. A little less travel though If you do your research. TerryKit was big on the ATC racing scene in the early 80s. I scored these out of SoCal

--
    So you are making the rear long travel and keeping 185 forks on the front?
    2-stroke lover

--
    Ya I know....I should convert the thing to an auto-x and do it complete, but I have the resources of a good shop and all the parts bought already and I really love to fab. And also I was kinda wantin' to keep the 185 forks to make it old school so people can tell it's a conversion and not just another 200x. Like I said, they almost perform as well as an x's anyway, so why not make somethin' unique?

Hey if anyone knows the effects off adding a turnbuckle in the middle of the back shock link I would appreciate it. Is this a good idea? I want to be able to change ride height easily.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //