//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My latest invention-Helmet camera footage on YOUTUBE, check it out!

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries

My latest invention-Helmet camera footage on YOUTUBE, check it out!

So as some of you know, I've been thinking/planning on a new project bike. Haven't had near the time to work on it lately like I'd like to, but I've gotten this far.

The project is of course, the rolling insane asylum that will be my 500R drag bike motor in an 85 250R chassis setup for flat track racing. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, its already been well established I am nuts. Save the calls to the mental ward, even they have given up all hope for me.

Those familiar with the 500R conversions using the 250R frames know that there has to be mods to the bottom of the frame rails to make the engine cradle fit better. Theres obviously several different ways (all well debated, BTW) but the fact of the matter is you gotta work on it. Anymore, when I look at projects, or problems, I attempt to find the most effective way to use my time. Less time I have to use on other stupid *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* gives me more opportunities to focus on whatever I'm doing, its just more productivity for me. So... as the frame was sitting on my steel table, with the 500R motor looking in it, all I could imagine was having to pull the motor in and out of the frame a hundred different times, trying to turn the frame over and prop it up to cut out the frame rails, do any kind of welding, grinding etc being a total pain in the ass. So, I thought to myself, "I need a way where I can hold this thing pretty much full assembled, at a decent height, and have the ability to turn it or move it into whatever position I need at that moment..." And this is what I've come up with.

The 250R frame, if the sub frame is level the back bone is at a 25 degree angle, so it had to be mounted at that same angle for it to set fairly level. Mine is sagging slightly at the moment, but I'm pretty sure if I just run some weld beads up the backside of the square tubing it'll pull it back up some. You'd be surprised how good weld is for doing stuff like that, straightening (or warping) material back. The orange face plate is actually from an engine stand (you can see the remains of it under the table in a picture or two I think), and its got holes drilled all the way around it, I think theres 8. So the frame can be rotated, and locked, into 8 different positions. The face plate is held to the frame with 2 bushings that fit down into the steering neck (bearing races removed) with a large piece of all thread stock, and 2 pieces of angle iron holding it all together. It does, unfortunately, twist a little side to side when you go to hold the frame side ways, so I'm liable to add another support brace to a bolt mount on the frame or perhaps another piece of plate to act as a wedge so it can't twist any in the bushings. The whole outfit, even though it isn't even welded all that well right now (haha, my stick welding is near pathetic) its pretty sturdy. I was standing out on the end of the sub frame, it did flex a little bit but not a whole lot. I'm pretty confident you could have pretty much an entire 250R suspended in the air like this minus the front end and not have any problems once everything is hooked together all the way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010097 (Large).JPG   P1010101 (Large).JPG   P1010102 (Large).JPG   P1010103 (Large).JPG   P1010107 (Large).JPG   P1010116 (Large).JPG  

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Heres the last pictures. I haven't even got to really use it yet, the 500 motor is just sitting in there, but I can already tell its gonna be SUPER nice for working on stuff. Especially when it comes time to weld in the new bottom frame rail tubes, and making the pipe.

Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention, that you could, if you modified the old engine stand, make the entire thing completely portable. It was just to low for my taste when using the roll around engine stand, but it wouldn't be hard at all to make a whole new roller stand or just add some height to an existing one. I just mounted it to my table cause its ultra beefy, and pretty much in the center of my work space. Vice is handy, press, lathe, mill, welder, torch, band saw, pipe bender, etc all within about 10-15ft.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010118 (Large).JPG   P1010126 (Large).JPG  

edog is offline I'm like an Original Gangsta...but a post whore instead. The day begins with 3WW
    --
    OMG you missed your meds.

Good luck on your new project.

--

what are you doing with the 500 roller?
    "Instruction manuals are nothing more than another man's opinion."
    - Chick McGee

-1985 250sx
    - 1986 atc310R drag bike
    - 1981 110 chopper.
    - 1985 350X 3+1 durablue axle, uni filter
    - 1985/6 350x
    - 2-84 atc250r's and 1 83
    - 2002 trx400ex
    - 1985 atc 250r
    -1985 atc70 WTB PARTS
    - 1985 tecate

MADE IT THROUGH TRIKEFEST 04, 05, 06, 07, and 08, cant wait til 09!!

--
    Blog Entries
    Remaining in my arsenal for when I can afford another more worked over motor

--

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Golightly View Post
    Remaining in my arsenal for when I can afford another more worked over motor

lol thats what i figured. I wanna do a cr500 conversion pretty bad but i need the $$$$$$ to buy a cr500 donor, i have most if not all the 250r parts i'd need.
    "Instruction manuals are nothing more than another man's opinion."
    - Chick McGee

-1985 250sx
    - 1986 atc310R drag bike
    - 1981 110 chopper.
    - 1985 350X 3+1 durablue axle, uni filter
    - 1985/6 350x
    - 2-84 atc250r's and 1 83
    - 2002 trx400ex
    - 1985 atc 250r
    -1985 atc70 WTB PARTS
    - 1985 tecate

MADE IT THROUGH TRIKEFEST 04, 05, 06, 07, and 08, cant wait til 09!!

--
    Blog Entries
    I'm actually figuring, that after I get done using the drag motor for mockup I might put it back in the drag bike chassis and try and find a later model, slightly tamer motor to go in the ATC frame. I'm not sure though, I can't wussify it to much

--
    Blog Entries
    who messed up the shop and put everything away??!!

good idea billy ..perfict for the trike fabber!

--
    Sweet, glad to see you went with the 500 for the flat tracker...
    Tionesta Trikes ATC 450R
    86 250R
    86 Tecate-3
    83 ATC 70
    85 Big Red
    81 KLT 200
    85 250SX
    Tricky Dicks Cagiva WMX 200 sold
    Trikefest survivor 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
    My feedback: http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/s...dback+eric250r

--
    As usual billy thats just tits. I wonder if you could do something similar with an engine block stand. Hmmm...
    And that's the rest of the story. ~ Paul Harvey

"Yes its broken, but does that really surprise you?."
    "What happened? What does it look like happened?!?!"

--
    umm...it...is...a "engine block stand"
    Proud owner of a "cornfed" polaris 500 scrambler. . . 4X4
    Coming soon Ninja/mojave/dune buggy, three wheeler

Visit www.tecateconnection.com for tecate info and to find out whats going on in the tecate world!

--
    Still planning on a cr125/200x conversion?
    1997 Kawasaki Bayou 220
    2004 Yamaha YFZ450
    1985 Honda 250ES
    1982 Honda 185s For Sale

--
    Blog Entries
    Stripped the flat tracker down, sitting in the stand now. This is more like how I envisioned it when I was thinking up the way to hold it. More as I get to it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jan14_0012.jpg   Jan14_0013.jpg   Jan14_0014.jpg  

--
    Blog Entries

Well here it is. Hacked off the bottom frame rails, and made some more adjustments. This frame stand has been an absolute God-send, being able to just hold the thing upside down like this has been extremely nice.

So after removing the bottom frame rails, here is the first problem I encountered:

I can't remember the exact measurement off hand, but the distance between the swingarm pivot and this bottom cross member where the suspension linkage mount is, is considerably less then the point from the rear motor mount to the bottom of the 500 motor. I have room in this picture, cause the head is off the motor and the head stud is resting on the headstay mount on the frame. So its WAAAY tall in the frame. I have for the time being now heated and "mushed" this area of the frame in a little, but when I plan on doing is actually grinding out half of that tube, or however much I need, and then welding a piece of flat sheet metal across it so its like a D shape. That should give me all the room I need there.

--
    Looking good billy. I bet it will make a good drag racer too if the way the 250 hooked up on the drag strip is any indicator.
    And that's the rest of the story. ~ Paul Harvey

"Yes its broken, but does that really surprise you?."
    "What happened? What does it look like happened?!?!"

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //