//ArrowChat Code

Thread: phazer 480 blew up

dooner17 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

phazer 480 blew up

Last night sled started losing all power and overheated. Plugs were completely white it was running extremely lean. Let it cool done and it ran good for a few minutes then lost all compression on one cylinder. Carbs were clean, fuel pump working good, Air filter not plugged. Looks as if the cylinder is warped a bit. Any idead what might have caused it. Maybe a bad head gasket. Its an 85 phazer 485.
    200s
    KLT160

nate b is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    is it all stock? stock jetting, airbox ect. if so it's either a clogged jet or bad gas. gotta really watch the *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* gas they have out nowadays with a 2-stroke, alot of it has alcohol and other oxengenates and crap in it. wich will make you run lean. was the fan working?
    and how were you riding it? wide open on a lake or breaking a trail for a long time, or just riding on groomed trails?
    could have lost a crank seal, base gasket, intake gasket, who knows.
    proper maintenence, jetting and good fuel is the key for a reliable sled.
    85 atc 250r;
    PSI porting & head mods
    fmf pipe & silencer
    boysen rad valve & reeds
    38mm air stryker

--
    Possibly a charge of water, fan belt, or even oil pump failure was common for these.

dooner17 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    oil pumps ripped out, mixed gas, head gasket on that side was an old copper head gasket off a 1980 yz250 i had thats worked perfect for 2 years. both cylinders were lean, base gasket sounds like an idea. piston is fine cylinders scored a bit and looks like it might be warped. i cleaned the carbs again. i just dont want to fix it and still have it run lean and same situation.
    200s
    KLT160

tbirdscott is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    If its the PTO side that went check the front motor mount on that side, they like to crack and tear a hole in the cases.

Scott

leokendall is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    them engines are famous for blowing the pistons, high reving engine, and something about how the fan blows air. i never had a phazer, but i have heard so many storys about them poppin a piston. Mix your gas heavy with these engines.
    1984 Honda Big Red

--
    Old ass thread but I will offer my insight. My family has owned a 1990 since 1998. Mostly just a backup sled if somebody comes over that doesn't have their own. My brother blew it up soon after we bought it because a piece of corn stalk went into the fan housing and broke the blades off the fan. He didn't realize it and kept riding and it cooked a piston. We replaced that piston and having been riding it ever since with no ill effects. It's the sled that won't die! lol

Rob

--

phazer 480 blowen up...

you need to do the carb mod.....you need to take your carbs off, take them apart,remove the nozzle from the carb body and you will see a small hole in one side..drill this hole all the way threw..this will take away your lean problem..it works!!!i raced one on the ice annd never had a problem...thanks.

--
    I sold the sled last winter. The crank seals were toast, needed a new cylinder and two new pistons. Glad I got rid of it when i did. Now its been sitting in the mud at my buddies place for 6 months.
    200s
    KLT160

--
    Poor Phazer

Rob

Twilight is offline Check my feedback before buying from me Roostin Away
    --
    A phazer runs my buggy. Over 1000 miles on the engine and no problems except ware and tare.

Mine runs in the desert, mud, sand and everything but snow. How the hell did you kill yours!? lol

--
    Blew mine up last winter it was a piece of anyways, i got 250$ for it
    3 wheelaholic

ATC200/CR480 custom

1984 atc250r near mint

wr450f trike on the way

Trizinger for my sons

--
    wow i cant beleve a phazer blewing a piston i have a 1990 phazer 2 and i got it when it had 4200 miles on it for 600 dollors and now it has 6500 miles on it and runs just as good itl do allmost 95 on the lake its the most reliable sled i ever bought other then my elan you cant kill a phazer and tommorow im going to pick up a 92 phazer long track with 5600 miles on it ive seen phazers with over 16000 miles on them with out a rebuild mabey some are just set up wrong
    trikes
    1983 honda atc 200
    soon to be 1986 kawi tecate 3

4 wheelers

black and red 1990 suzuki quadrunner 230E with minor mods

sleds
    o jeeze were do i start
    1967 ski-doo oly 250cc
    1971 mercury 250-E
    1974 arctic cat panther 340
    2-1976 arctic cat jags
    1980 arctic cat lynx