//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Strongest year for the honda CR500?

Scooter77 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    The 84's aircooled engine is the is the most untamed, hard hitting engine of all the years. 87 is spose to be the best year of all as far as balance goes. I own a 89 and it has more than enough power for anyones needs. i will say though if you ride in your yard or anything like that....dont expect to have grass cause these things roost with the smallest twist of the throttle. Also Cr500 riders could be a good source for info but they have stupid rules to say the least. like the one about not posting unless you already own a complete Cr500. If you do go there...just act like you own one or they will give you the cold shoulder.

--
    I had an 85 and really, they are all beast, but the 85 and a few other years had too potent of a power delivery and I learned from the pro's to on occassion drag the rear brake for tricky traction situations, that tamed it down, went thru rear brake pads quicker though.

--
    I know this is an incredibly old thread, but I have a question for y'all. I traded a co-worker some A/C work for a 1985 CR500 trike conversion. I have decided to just put the engine into a spare 85 ATC250R frame. I am not a fan of how skinny the CR frame is, how small the tank is, as well as how small the foot pegs are (among other things).

My question is, does anyone on here have pictures of the Leager's trike kit? I have a +4 conversion swingarm to go with the CR frame (the frame has also been modified with a better rake angle on the forks). I want to sell whatever I am able to so I can put the $ towards an engine rebuild and time/materials necessary to modify the ATC frame for the 500. The only thing I am missing from the CR is the +2 axle that the previous owner can't locate. I'm hoping this generates some interest either on here or through friends of friends. :-) Thanks in advance.

--
    Do you have any pics of you bike frame? I know a guy that is going to be out your way next month
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    Quote Originally Posted by big specht View Post
    Do you have any pics of you bike frame? I know a guy that is going to be out your way next month
    I can post pics of all parts I am wanting to part with after the 2nd of January. I leave for New Year's vacation tomorrow morning early and get back late on the 2nd. Everything will be first come, first served. I hope we all can help each other with our projects! Thanks in advance.

--
    Okay everyone. Everything has finally settled down for the new year. I have a long weekend starting tonight, so I will make sure to get some pics posted of everything I am willing to part with from the CR500 trike. I am actually considering that custom chromoly frame I have seen pics of floating around on here. So, anything that I can put towards that will help. Otherwise, I have a spare '85 ATC frame lying around that my fabricator friend can make a new cradle for. Cheaper and faster for sure. My main issue with this project is that it has the classic water pump/right side case corrosion that I have to either fix or replace. That'll be my first move. Hope a few of you can make use of some of these parts! Have a good Friday.

--
    Alright everyone. Here's the list so far:
    85 CR500R: Tank, Maier Shrouds (no cracks), Airbox with intake boot, Full Leagers CR500 trike conversion subframe with +4" swingarm and bearing carrier, original CR500R frame with adjusted rake for better handling, Radiators.

I also have a complete pair of 350X forks. There is a bit of rust on them between where the triple clamps attach. I have pictures of everything, but you will have to PM me for them. I don't have permission to post them on here yet.

--
    I agree the 84 has a super radical powerband its uncontrollable to an extent. Toward the late 80s into the 90's they changed the port timing to tame the powerband a little but they are still fast as hell. i had a few 480's an air cooled 500 a 86 500 and ive rode a bunch of others.
    I prefer the kawasaki kx500 powervalve. With the powervalve you have more low end and its a smoother transition into the high side of the powerband. the powervalve kx 500 is a really smooth bike and i much preferred it over the cr. thats just my opinion though. As far as sheer power Ive never felt a faster bike than the suzuki rm 500 4 speed i have. that thing just insane and when you got off you would be shaking from the adrenaline rushing through your body. its a wonderful sensation

--
    I have the stock 500R rear shock too. I may try to use it on the trike, but I haven't looked at it yet to see if it's at all possible. If any of you on here have some insight into that, I would appreciate it.

I also have 2 1985 stock swingarms for the 250R. Both are in excellent working condition and are still gold with decals. Would need to be stripped and painted to be showroom quality, but they could be installed and ran with no issues whatsoever. One unit has the rear carrier, the other does not.

I have yet to decide on prices for anything, as I need to do some research to see what it's all worth. I want it to be fair for everyone (including myself). This $ will go into repairing my 85 R, registering both my 85 and 86 R's, as well as getting started on the 500.

Pics available through email upon request.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedbngr18 View Post
    I have the stock 500R rear shock too. I may try to use it on the trike, but I haven't looked at it yet to see if it's at all possible. If any of you on here have some insight into that, I would appreciate it.

I also have 2 1985 stock swingarms for the 250R. Both are in excellent working condition and are still gold with decals. Would need to be stripped and painted to be showroom quality, but they could be installed and ran with no issues whatsoever. One unit has the rear carrier, the other does not.

I have yet to decide on prices for anything, as I need to do some research to see what it's all worth. I want it to be fair for everyone (including myself). This $ will go into repairing my 85 R, registering both my 85 and 86 R's, as well as getting started on the 500.

Pics available through email upon request.
    Price and pictures in the post please. Forum rules.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

6bt is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    85-86 were the short rod motors...they even kinda sound like 125ish...quick to rev. 87 was supposed to be the compromise between older and newer. My 92 cr500 feels pretty mellow. My 01 kx500 feels stronger, with a harder hit.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //