//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Start of the 2006 KLX450r has begun! UPDATED W/ PICS GOT MOTOR

--

The Start of the 2006 KLX450r has begun! UPDATED W/ PICS GOT MOTOR

Well after some help from you guys with deciding what motor to use I have decided to go with a KFX450r Engine as my powerplant. I was think about a KFX400 or a KX500 but you guys were right, just do the 450 engine.

The Trike will be a 1986 Tecate. I plan on doing a Green, Black, and Chrome/ polished aluminum look and color scheme. I plan on running a headlight.

For suspension I plan on puttting on a set of 2005 KX250 Front Inverted Forks with a custom triple tree. I am also looking at different swingarm options, I may just go with a standard Tecate swingarm but am looking at other possible swingarms like the yfz450, Trx450r, KFX450 swingarms as the aftermarket will be easier to get. I paln on doing around a 5-6 inched extended swingarm with a +2 axle.

As for the powerplant I will be adding a little more power with a port & polish and some minimal work for now but once all done may add more. I also plan on making a custom Dual exhaust. I know there is no performance gain here but its louder and it looks cool.

I plan to spend $3,500-$5,000 between bike parts and machining. I know some good connections to get good deals on machining and I will be doing all my own polishing. I am expecting this project to take me until the end of May to where I can test it out on the dunes and then tour the coast with it and my custom 250r.

Any suggestions you guys have let me know. I will be posting pics as I go and will be explaining what I am doing as I go. I am plonning on doing many more projects like this over the next years that includes the 84-85 Tecate, 350x, 200x and the 83-84 250r and the Tri-Z.

Tyler
    Last edited by 250rmanfmf; 02-04-2010 at 11:25 PM.
    85 ATC 250r -Under Construction
    86 TRX250r
    05 KFX400
    02 400EX

--
    Sounds like an awesome project man I can't wait to see some picks!
    ADMIRIN' BOOBS AND BLASTIN' NEWBS

--
    Glad to hear it also, looking very forward to this project.
    Tionesta Trikes ATC 450R
    86 250R
    86 Tecate-3
    83 ATC 70
    85 Big Red
    81 KLT 200
    85 250SX
    Tricky Dicks Cagiva WMX 200 sold
    Trikefest survivor 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
    My feedback: http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/s...dback+eric250r

--
    What a way to start off the New Year! Good luck with the build and I'll be a following it for sure

I do agree on your choice of another swing arm to help with the aftermarket. Tecates are becoming more rare each day so since you are going with a nice trick build I recommend stick with something like an aluminum off the new 450's. A +5 or +6 swinger will be nice, I have one on my 250r and love it, but might shrink just a tad to a +4 for more fun

--

also

Hopefully I can make my deadline for this project because I am having a Huge problem of not even being able to find a engine. I guess I will have to be paitent. also I am looking foward to the elect start and Reverse

Tyler
    86 TRX250r
    05 KFX400
    02 400EX

--
    ehh,, the EFI might not like the custom pipe set up too much, there finicky as it is, i find, even with a yosh pipe, a powercommander would be your best bang for the buck, But i personally like the 400 motor, Dead reliable, Almost impossible to kill, put out a good amount of power,,,,and who needs reverse on a trike??...IMO
    1985 Tri-Z-

Quote Originally Posted by mywifeknowseverything
    Just hit the Freakin Gas and Hold on!!!!!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by My trike Sucks View Post
    ehh,, the EFI might not like the custom pipe set up too much, there finicky as it is, i find, even with a yosh pipe, a powercommander would be your best bang for the buck, But i personally like the 400 motor, Dead reliable, Almost impossible to kill, put out a good amount of power,,,,and who needs reverse on a trike??...IMO
    I would use a stock KX450F dirt bike engine...
    2-stroke lover

--
    sounds neet...i would buy the parts 1st and see if the idea really plays out...sounds like you have a ton of work ahead of you.

--

re

Went to the dealer and measured the motor, looks like it will fit no problem. Yea the fuel injector stuff is a challenge but I have a connection on a guy that tunes and works on the new fuel injected quads. I looked at the KX450f engine and its not a bad engine (kickstart, Carbureted) but the 450r motor puts out a little more power. But worst case snarrow I will do the kx450f if I cant find a kxf450r. A brand new motor is 2200 bucks.

Tyler
    86 TRX250r
    05 KFX400
    02 400EX

--

re

after doing some more measuring looks like I will have two challenges. the first is that these new 4-strokes are tall engines. The 450 measured out at 17 1/2 inches tall. Which means that I have to cut out the neck support that the stock engines head would bolt to and where the cdi would mount. I would have to resupport that somehow. Luckley I know a good metal faber and a good welder. And the other motor mounts can be made to fit. the only other issue is back where the swingarm pivot bolt is cause the width of the motor mount on the engine is 4" where the stock Tecate engine was only 3 3/4. So looks like I need to find a different shock setup.

As far as a swingarm goes its been tough. So far nothing will fit, everything too wide. The frame will except a swingarm thats 7 3/4 wide, Everything I have found has been 8 1/2 and bigger (trx450, yfz450, Raptor, 250r, KFX400, KFX450, LTz400). I would like to see what width a Banshee or a Blaster swingarm is, so if any of you can get a measurement of the width of the swingarm where the pivot bolt bolts to that would be great. Otherwise I am stuck with using a T-Swingarm. What about a T4 swingarm???

Still lots of R & D to do but everyday I am figuring stuff out.

Tyler
    86 TRX250r
    05 KFX400
    02 400EX

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 250rmanfmf View Post
    What about a T4 swingarm???
    The T4 swingarm is too wide also...

Which means that I have to cut out the neck support that the stock engines head would bolt to and where the cdi would mount. I would have to resupport that somehow. Tyler
    Is the engine going to clear the fuel tank?
    2-stroke lover

--
    after doing some more measuring looks like I will have two challenges. the first is that these new 4-strokes are tall engines. The 450 measured out at 17 1/2 inches tall. Which means that I have to cut out the neck support that the stock engines head would bolt to and where the cdi would mount. I would have to resupport that somehow. Luckley I know a good metal faber and a good welder. And the other motor mounts can be made to fit. the only other issue is back where the swingarm pivot bolt is cause the width of the motor mount on the engine is 4" where the stock Tecate engine was only 3 3/4. So looks like I need to find a different shock setup.

As far as a swingarm goes its been tough. So far nothing will fit, everything too wide. The frame will except a swingarm thats 7 3/4 wide, Everything I have found has been 8 1/2 and bigger (trx450, yfz450, Raptor, 250r, KFX400, KFX450, LTz400). I would like to see what width a Banshee or a Blaster swingarm is, so if any of you can get a measurement of the width of the swingarm where the pivot bolt bolts to that would be great. Otherwise I am stuck with using a T-Swingarm. What about a T4 swingarm???

Still lots of R & D to do but everyday I am figuring stuff out.

Tyler

Thats why they call it a project! i would go with a new swing arm from a new quad. yes you may have to widen the frame a little bit or take some width out of the new swinger but in the long run your better off. if you need some ideas look at the 450rr thread started by 250rfan. he had lots of fabrication involved but in the end(near end) it was worth the extra time to cut, weld, widen, extend, and stretch to get the new parts to fit. i would aslo go with the kx450f, carbs are better and last longer in the end. EFI= short term gain long term loss. and you would have to worry about mounting the box and all that. just my .02 though.
    ATC500AF

--

o hea

O hea, I do need to check clearance for tank. I might have to lower the frame llike 250rfan did or mod the tank. But like you guys said, its a project and its going to take some custumizing. I will continue to work on the swingarm setup too, I just need to find some more parts and keep trying stuff

as for the kx450f engine I am considering it if I can find one. If anyone knows where I can get either a kxf450 or a kx450f engine please let me know

Thanks
    Tyler
    86 TRX250r
    05 KFX400
    02 400EX

--
    What about a custom swingarm designed using modern quad bearing carrier. That is what I'm considering for my T3. There are swingarm builders who say they build swingarms for any ATV.
    My toys 85 KXT250A2, 85 ATC250R, 85 Tri-z 250, 06 LT-R450, 04 YFZ450S, 07 125 typhoon x 3, 06 FPV GT.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by OZQUAD44 View Post
    What about a custom swingarm designed using modern quad bearing carrier. That is what I'm considering for my T3. There are swingarm builders who say they build swingarms for any ATV.
    that what i had done...hreatv.com built me a 300ex style swingarm to fit in a 84 200x...it turned out freaking nice !

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //