//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 85 ATC250R compared to 86 ATC250R

--
    Ok, I just uploaded 26 picture and don't know if that would be considered a hijacking to post that many on here so I'll throw up a couple some are old scans from where I started, some are crappy cell phone picks and the last will be what I have to work with. I got new fork seals and oem boots waiting for me to do some work.

the beginning

A gift, Thanks Dave

first time

what I have to work with today.

--
    You have some work ahead of you ....

Getting back to the 85 86 comparisons
    I have been doing some more "testing" And there is a HUGE difference in the tire performance between the 85 and 86. The stock Dunlops on the 85 suck compared to the Ohtsu Pro Vectors or P/V on the 86.

The Dunlops tend to roll rather than slide like the Ohtsu's. I switched tires on the bikes to see if it was the bike itself and the Dunlops rolled in the corners rather than sliding like the Ohtsu's
    By rolling I mean they want to roll the bike over.
    If you compare the two tires side by side it is easy to see why. The Ohtsu's have a much flatter profile and larger contact area with the ground.
    Conclusions :
    Do not restore your 85 with the original Dunlops. Go with the Ohtsu P/V's . The difference is black and white

--
    Quote Originally Posted by whyzee View Post
    Do not restore your 85 with the original Dunlops. Go with the Ohtsu P/V's . The difference is black and white
    Good to know, I thought they both came with the Ohtus tires. I figured the Dunlops were around as a replacement. Where can you find the Ohtus tires? What about the front tire far as performance? Good God, I just checked my old dry rotted 85 front tire it is a Dunlop. Guess you do learn something new every day. After reading this thread I may just restore it as an 86. Heck, I'd like to restore them both but I don't have that kinda of money to play with right now especially seeing how I need to track down an 86 engine.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by TrikesRule_FOOL View Post
    Good to know, I thought they both came with the Ohtus tires. I figured the Dunlops were around as a replacement. Where can you find the Ohtus tires? What about the front tire far as performance? Good God, I just checked my old dry rotted 85 front tire it is a Dunlop. Guess you do learn something new every day. After reading this thread I may just restore it as an 86. Heck, I'd like to restore them both but I don't have that kinda of money to play with right now especially seeing how I need to track down an 86 engine.
    You cannot tell the difference between the front tires. The dunlops actually look a little bit more aggressive,but maybe my 86 Pro vector had a tiny bit more wear on it.
    Yes the 86 is definitly more comfortable of a ride. The 85 is a screaming machine, ready for racing motocross right out of the box, it just rips, but it tires you out quicker. Welcome aboard, you will be hooked for life on these bikes they will blow your mind on how quick they are and how fast you can turn them ( and how easy you can get hurt on them)
    They are alive with power

--
    thats awsome review whyzee now i definetly cant ride with you till i have the tri-z ready!!
    2- 85 Tri-Z's black and Yellow
    2- 85 250SX's
    1- 85 200X
    3-ATC 70's
    2- 85 tri-zinger's who needs some parts

--
    Blog Entries
    You can't get Ohtsu tires anymore. They are no longer being made. Just get something aftermarket like holeshots. They're better anyway.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dammit! View Post
    You can't get Ohtsu tires anymore. They are no longer being made. Just get something aftermarket like holeshots. They're better anyway.
    dam it , you know better than that. You can still buy the Ohtsu P/V's all day long on ebay same tire same profile as oem w/o the spelling. But I agree a flatter tire like holeshots are beter anyway yet you loose the factory new look instantly. Depends what you want

--
    Quote Originally Posted by whyzee View Post
    dam it , you know better than that. You can still buy the Ohtsu P/V's all day long on ebay same tire same profile as oem w/o the spelling. But I agree a flatter tire like holeshots are beter anyway yet you loose the factory new look instantly. Depends what you want
    I haven't seen them. Guess maybe I should do a search with email alerts. I actually love the bandit xc's I have for trail riding. They slide sweet. I'm thinking restore the 85 frame roller as an original museum piece and just keep riding my current set up for now.

--
    Blog Entries
    Ohtsu tires are no longer being made. You might find some old stock on ebay sometimes but they are definitely out of production.

--
    are these the larger ones they used on the Baja races?

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chap...ted**Edited*53

--
    Blog Entries
    No. Those are stock 350x tires (and I'd be surprised if they really have those in stock). The tires they used in Baja racing were the stock 200x tires (22 inch tires on 8 inch rims). I can't remember the actual model number of those though.

--
    The 85 flywheel weighs about 60 grams less than the 86 on ones. The heavier flywheel was added in 86 to help out with the added weight of the quad.
    4 Strokes are NOT the wave of the future!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dammit! View Post
    Ohtsu tires are no longer being made. You might find some old stock on ebay sometimes but they are definitely out of production.
    Correct!
    I just sold my last set ( had 6 sets) of the P/V 3 weeks ago . I know somebody who has ALOT of them....ahem,....adam...ahem

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Razors View Post
    The 85 flywheel weighs about 60 grams less than the 86 on ones. The heavier flywheel was added in 86 to help out with the added weight of the quad.
    that makes a difference for sure.

Marty is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    I agree with you that the 85 feels more of a race bike with more power but at Glamis it"s a different comparison the 86 with it lacking power feels more comfortable with it"s progressive front suspension and that thicker seat. But don"t get me wrong I love my 85 wouldn't trade it for the world it will smoke my 86from start to finish. Both trikes are almost the same reeds, piston size, gearing, but my 85 with that ESR blows the 86 away.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //