//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: kx500 powered Tecate, with ATC250R rear suspension

hondawasaki is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

kx500 powered Tecate, with ATC250R rear suspension

Hey Everyone.......Can't believe I'm lucky enough to have found a forum for trike lunatics like myself!!!

Like the title says, I'm currently building a KX500 powered '86 T3 with ATC250R rear suspension......Why you ask? because the Kaw shock linkage gets in the way of the KX500 airfilter. (purists relax, the tecate was a pile, and the 250R frame, shock, and swinger was bought off E-bay!)

This will be the second tecate 500 I have had. Parts list:

1-1986 T3 tecate with broken rear subframe and seized engine
    1-1992 KX500
    1-1986 ATC250R frame, shock, and swinger
    1-set of NOS tecate plastic and graphics I have collected for the past 10 years

I wish I had some pics available, you guys will love it.

Let me know if you have any ideas, or critiques. I'll post up some pics later this weekend.

........Hondawasaki

--
    sounds like a rocket gonna be a drag trike or just insane garage queen? jk look forward to seeing it will keep e-dogs blood flowing!!
    2- 85 Tri-Z's black and Yellow
    2- 85 250SX's
    1- 85 200X
    3-ATC 70's
    2- 85 tri-zinger's who needs some parts

hondawasaki is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I'ts mainly being built to shut a buddy with a 4 stroke quad up......I predict going by pumping out so much sand that I rip the visor off his helmet!

After that she'll most likely be a garage queen. It's hard to let something like this go after all the time that gets invested.

...Hondawasaki

--

Cool

Wooooooeeeee Nelly, you found the place and damnittohell I won't be the fastest T3 on the boards when you finish with yours.

Keep us posted on your build, with pics of course.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the greatest little trike place in the ether.

Chris
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>2007 Yamaha Raptor 700R>>>Cross Country Racer<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

www.myspace.com/bluelionracing

Support my 2009 sponsor:

For all your ATV suspension needs.

--
    sounds like a fun bike!!! post up some pics
    83 ATC70
    85 ATC70
    85 200x vintage racer
    86 500r
    Lots of parts

My 500R

--
    I'd like to see some pics, which frame are you using? Sounds the R frame to me.

I have one of those (65 r) in about the same shape collecting dust as well...
    86 350X
    85 350X daily rider
    LC 250R
    85 T3
    86 T3 roller
    85 250sx beater

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ccdhowell View Post
    Wooooooeeeee Nelly, you found the place and damnittohell I won't be the fastest T3 on the boards when you finish with yours.

Keep us posted on your build, with pics of course.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the greatest little trike place in the ether.

Chris
    Thanks for the welcome, I'm excited to have found this place! I didn't make it to the shop this weekend (had to help a buddy move). So no pics untill monday.

You still may have the fastest T3, my frame welds may brake while clicking 5th gear on sand mountain...........I have visions of it looking like the space shuttle crashing into the face of comp hill.........

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 200x Basket View Post
    sounds like a fun bike!!! post up some pics
    'll post some pics on monday! Hey I might have the 250r mounts and rubbers you need, It was all on the frame I'm hacking up, and I plan on chucking it when I'm done!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by i58829 View Post
    I'd like to see some pics, which frame are you using? Sounds the R frame to me.

I have one of those (65 r) in about the same shape collecting dust as well...
    The main T3 frame is an '86, the ATC frame is also an '86. It's a major hermaphrodite!! I'll post some pics soon.....I have some on my camera phone, but can't seem to get them to my PC.

--

Cool

sounds like a fun project. glad to hear of another 86 tecate kickin around. I need to get mine out of storage someday. still got the seized engine? I might be interested in your leftovers if ya still got em. figured I would at least say hi to another utah triker!

--
    From everything I've seen and read the KX5 motor is a easy fit for the 86/87 T3 frame. Get a clamp on air filter and use the Tecate carb boot on the KX500 motor and your in business.

Not telling you how to do it, just offering my opinion.
    My Feedback 85 TECATE 500 08 Honda 450R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreenMachine View Post
    From everything I've seen and read the KX5 motor is a easy fit for the 86/87 T3 frame. Get a clamp on air filter and use the Tecate carb boot on the KX500 motor and your in business.

Not telling you how to do it, just offering my opinion.
    It is a fairly easy fit, but there is only about 2 1/2 inches between the shock linkage and the carb. This will be the 2nd 500 T3 I/ve built, and the shock linkage has always been the big hurdle. you end up having such a small air filter that it clogs very easily, and is extremely exposed. The tight air filter clearances are the reason for such a large project. It is much nicer to have the linkage below the swingarm, makes for a much cleaner setup.......Pics tomarrow!!!

--
    here is some quick pics I promised.....

...Hondawasaki
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1893.JPG   DSCN1895.JPG   DSCN1897.JPG   DSCN1896.JPG   DSCN1898.JPG  

--
    Very cool. Why didn't you go with the 250R's rear axle/carrier instead of the flawed Tecate design? Your 1992 KX500 cylinder looks just like the 1988 KX500 cylinder I have here in my closet.

Other then that, hell yeah!
    My Feedback 85 TECATE 500 08 Honda 450R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreenMachine View Post
    Very cool. Why didn't you go with the 250R's rear axle/carrier instead of the flawed Tecate design? Your 1992 KX500 cylinder looks just like the 1988 KX500 cylinder I have here in my closet.

Other then that, hell yeah!
    The main reason, is that is all I had. There is still time, I have a 250R carrier, but no axle, hubs, sproket carrier, or brakes. This is the least expensive way I could come up with finishing this project. Stranger, the hubs are '84 tecate too, the '86 I bought had champion swinger, with an '84 rear axle.....kinda weird.

...Hondawasaki

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //