//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Converting a Dirtbike to Fat Cat/Bigwheel?

Atc GuY is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

Question Converting a Dirtbike to Fat Cat/Bigwheel?

Has anyone seen or done this ever? Seems as though a person could replace a swing-arm and forks on a dirtbike and you'd be in business. I already know that you have to move the chain out to match the sprocket. Axle for rear could be made out of a Honda 185 front axle (trike) with a sprocket welded to it. And a little brainstorming with my lathe, mill and tube bender it may be able to be done.
    Any ideas?

Ryan. is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    yes, many people have done this, search it
    1997 Yamaha YZ250

1985 Honda ATC350X

1989 Honda XR100R

Quote Originally Posted by SWIGIN View Post
    a wise old racer told me years ago you just hold it wide open till you see god.......then shift

GreenBoy is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Check out this Link Big Wheeler
    The builder of the XT 600 BW had his own website with more detailed pics, but I couldn't find the link right now.
    TF ´03
    TF ´04
    TF ´05
    TF ´06

US Trip ´08
    US Trip ´09
    US Trip ´10
    US Trip ´11
    US Trip ´12
    US Trip ´13

US Trip ´16 yet to come

--
    So I'm looking to do this on a xr200 (mid 80"s) I don't have the bike (I have a 2001 xr200r) would 250r forks/fender fit on this machine? ( or with spacers ) I want to do it to a dirt bike because it already has all the plastic, and the styling I like. It sort-of looks like this:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3D1%26hl%3Den

--
    Anyone? Any more pics?

--

CR500R Sand Bike

OK here are some photo's of my current project. Sorry they are a bit blurry but I had to use my phone's camera.

1997 CR500R Sand Bike.
    Front tire 27x9x12 AMS Whip Snake
    Rear Tire 27x12x12 AMS Aerospeed

Swingarm and Tripple Clamps are done. Currently building jackshaft and rear hub.

Think of it as a Fat Cat on steriods!

--
    tjsb1 Your pics aren't working for me, Is it just my computer

--
    Not sure, they work on my computer. Anyone else having issues with the photo's?

I am going to be on the road for work for about a week. I will try to post new pic's when I return.

--
    Work for me. Looks nice so far!

--
    OK, Road trip is done. I am back on my project FA"s"T CAT FCR500R.

Sprockets for jackshaft are due to arrive any day. Once I get the jackshaft and adjuster completed then this should fast track and be on the sand in a few weeks.

I decided to build this project as I always wanted to see what a High Performance Fat Cat or BW would be like. I have never enjoyed riding a dirt bike in the sand, but back in the 80's I played with a BW at the dunes and it was a blast. Couldn't run with my Tri-z or even my 200X so I stayed on the three wheelers. But the bug was created and through the years I have often thought of "what if".

Recently I moved to Oregon and have access to sand dunes so my interest was peeked. I still have a couple three wheelers but my riding preference changed back to two tires several years ago. I decided it was time to build my dream bike so thus I began this quest. I had a CR500R that was used for my snow bike. It didn't have the wheel sets anymore so it was perfect for the project. The CR boast over60+HP and 230lbs wet so it made the choice easy.

I will update as I can and should have better photos by next week.

--
    TSJB1, you have 2 SICK bikes, lemme tell you that.

Where did you get the track for your snow CR? That looks awesome, have you compared it with a Snowhawk in terms of speed and maneuverability? I know that a CVT is probably better for snow than a manual, but that's still a damn cool machine!

WaimakRydah is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    It can be done there were kits that could convert trike to fat cats here is a pic of a 250R with one of these kits I dont know who owns the bike
    1985 Honda ATC200S
    1994 Kawasaki Eliminator EL250

--
    Quote Originally Posted by tjsb1 View Post
    OK here are some photo's of my current project. Sorry they are a bit blurry but I had to use my phone's camera.

1997 CR500R Sand Bike.
    Front tire 27x9x12 AMS Whip Snake
    Rear Tire 27x12x12 AMS Aerospeed

Swingarm and Tripple Clamps are done. Currently building jackshaft and rear hub.

Think of it as a Fat Cat on steriods!

How is the build going ??? I have the same bug, thinkin' about doing something to my KLR. It would be a TW 200 killer . Keep us up to date with how it is going, looking really good ..

Ryan. is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    seems like a cr500 set up like that would be a little akward to rise.. but thats just me
    1997 Yamaha YZ250

1985 Honda ATC350X

1989 Honda XR100R

Quote Originally Posted by SWIGIN View Post
    a wise old racer told me years ago you just hold it wide open till you see god.......then shift

edog is offline I'm like an Original Gangsta...but a post whore instead. The day begins with 3WW
    --
    I wanna see a vid of that snow bike!!!!!!!!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //