//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Converting a Dirtbike to Fat Cat/Bigwheel?

--
    Build has been put on hold due to some issues unrelated to the bike. I had to order sprockets for the jackshaft and it took nearly two months to get them. By the time I did get them I was buried in another project (it sucks having a job).

Anyway, I hope to be back it sooon and hope to get the engine reassembled in the next couple of weeks.

As for video of the snow bike, go to www.snoxcycle.com and they have a link. I am not involved with the project anymore as I sold my patent to Snoxcycle. The pictures of the KTM and Yamaha TTR 90 as well as the SSR 125 are bikes I built. I don't have any video to the CR running on the snow but it was alot of fun.

--
    Wow how did I miss this thread? I have always wanted to do something similiar with a CR500, just never had the time or resources to do so. Awesome project tjsb1! Keeps the updates coming. I have a cr500 and this is making me want to get busy.
    4 Strokes are NOT the wave of the future!

--
    I say go for it. The sole purpose for my CR500 project is sand. You could easily find all terrian tires for the project as well, but for this bike and where I live I wanted the ultimate dune bike.

There are lots of options depending on your needs and wants. I choose to use 27x9x12 and 27x12x12 tires for my project to keep tire diameters the same as the CR500 tires. For wheels and hubs I bought some used Tri-z fronts and will modify one of the hubs for rear drive.

A couple suggestion I might make for someone wanting to do this build but doesn't have alot of fabrication equipment is use Honda hubs and wheels (11") from a 200x, 350x, or 250r, as they are very easy to find on ebay and Douglas still makes replacements. It limits tire choices as the largest I found was 25" OD, but they are out there. Also you could get a swingarm and hub from Missile (there are a few threads that have his contact info) and adapt versus cut/chop/add/fab/weld like I did. That would save lots of time and effort, just limit tire sizes.

Triple clamps, Axles, Jackshaft, Hubs, Wheels, Tires, and Subframe mods, just to name a few are what you must figure out. An air cooled bike might be easier as well so you don't need to worry about clearance for the wider triple clamps.

Good luck if you decide to jump in and I will gladly help with info if I can. I think the best place to start is decide what you want the finished project to be, and then build according to your needs.

--
    I know this is a old thread, but did you ever finish the build? Any pictures? I have been toying with the idea of a Fatcat Honda CRF450X .
    I Like the idea of an electric start sand bike.

David...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by wrightracing View Post
    I know this is a old thread, but did you ever finish the build? Any pictures? I have been toying with the idea of a Fatcat Honda CRF450X .
    I Like the idea of an electric start sand bike.

David...
    Did you ever finish your project and get it running. I would like to see pictures.
    WELL for my project I went the scrambler route. I am going withe the 2000 Honda XR650L
    as my base bike for the big wheel conversion. The other change I am doing is to give it a vintage
    Scrambler 70's look. I have picked up a ATC250R front hub and disk brakes, a rear BW200 hub and swingarm
    That I am going to modify to bolt up to the XR frame. I am going to put CRF450R FORKS on a custom triple clamp
    For it. Here is a concept picture I am working towards. This is not mine
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	honda-xr650l-1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	261129

Doink is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Here's what a Suzuki DR350 conversion looks like:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	104627715_1106591119726333_1433371371902405724_n.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	263287
    "If it were easy, everyone would be doing it."
    1987 Yamaha BW350 (dealer find, never oiled or gassed)
    1990 Suzuki DR350 Fat Cat/ Big Wheel conversion
    2011 Suzuki KingQuad

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //