//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 86 tecate project with new kx 250 2006 engine

alexandros is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

86 tecate project with new kx 250 2006 engine

Hello!
    I'm in the start of this project..
    I'm buying thinks for this restoration from last september!
    I desided to use a new engine because i was bored of repearing all the time the old one!
    Last time I ride the tecate the frond sporcket left and broke the gear shaft and damage the frame...
    I don't know if someone has allready done this project but I thing it's possible

alexandros is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    And some fotos...
    The first one is how my tecate was before the restoration
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03255.JPG   DSC00004.JPG   DSC00074.JPG   DSC00071.JPG   DSC00070.JPG  

--
    damn nice. gonna have to keep us updated on this. if it works maybe thats the route i will go, is with the newer style kx motor. good build!
    1985 KXT 250 Tecate - kx cylinder, kx ignition, bassani headpipe, answer silencer, v-force reeds, 38mm airstyker carb, +2 franks swinger, raptor rear shock.

1996 YSF240 Blaster - maxxed out!!!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "HOLY SH-T, what a ride!"

--
    Looks like a really nice start to a great project, i can't wait to see more once it starts to come together...
    86 350X
    85 350X daily rider
    LC 250R
    85 T3
    86 T3 roller
    85 250sx beater

--
    Very cool. Should be fast!

joe_f7 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    that's awesome. keep us updated on all he mods you have to do to get the new motor in. did you get all new ignition as well? how about the wireing harness?
    1986 Kawasaki KXT 250 tecate
    ported, FMF pipe, DG silencer, boysen stage II reeds, 39mm keihin PWK, T4 thumb throttle and front master

--
    when i purchased the motor from ebay all electronic were included so I didn't worry about it.
    Once the seller didn't sell worldwide I buyed through a friend in America that send it direct to an international shipping company. I buyed november but I finally got it in my hands before one week!!!!
    In the box there were no electronics! I don't know if its the seller fault or someone stole them in the process but now I can't do anything.
    So now I have to find them in the ebay.
    Someone told me ( from kxrider.com forum) that I can use also from a 2003-2005 engine with no problem but the part numbers don't match!

--
    Some more pictures..
    I have to make new frond and upper motor mounts!
    The lower mount should normally fit to the second hole of the frame but in mine there isn't!!
    I dont know why the previous owner did that.
    The exhaust slips over the exhaust port unlike the older bikes which slipped into the port, so Monday I will order a new fmf pipe for a kx 250 05-07 engine.
    Here I would like your advice!
    Witch one to buy? the fatty or the gnarly? What do you think will be the best for the engine and for the trike?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00067.JPG   DSC00068.JPG   DSC00062.JPG   DSC00063.JPG   DSC00065.JPG  

--
    That motor is super clean, too bad about the electrics..... Looks like it drops in pretty well, with just a few mods. Can't wait to see the outcome!!

As for the pipe, I think I'd hope to buy a pipe that takes over where the stock powerplant drops off. 2 strokes have terrible low end but those new 4 strokes seem to have a great range throughout the power. I'd read up on what the dirtbike guys like for that motor and use the same pipe on the ATC.

Nice build!!
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Looking great man, keep it up.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by alexandros View Post
    so Monday I will order a new fmf pipe for a kx 250 05-07 engine.
    Here I would like your advice!
    Witch one to buy? the fatty or the gnarly? What do you think will be the best for the engine and for the trike?

the gnarly will give you much more tractable low end
    Charlie Don't Trike

85' ATC 350X
    85' ATC 250SX
    85' YTM 225DX (sweetie)
    84' ATC 200 auto X
    85' ATC 70
    85' YT 60

My Partz Auctions

--
    This is a nice project. The kx motors go into the tecate with minimal mods. I like the idea of starting with a fresh 2006 engine, most of the used tecate parts out there are pretty old and tired.
    4 Strokes are NOT the wave of the future!

--
    i was gonna ask about the lower mount in the first set of pics, noticed there was only one hole instead of 2 like on mine. did the previous owner try stuffing something else in there like a 500 or smething maybe? looks to be a rather simple swap, the motor mounts arent that hard to fab up. a couple of spacers maybe on the swinger bolt? i think i know what i am doing with my 86 t3, seriously cool!
    1985 KXT 250 Tecate - kx cylinder, kx ignition, bassani headpipe, answer silencer, v-force reeds, 38mm airstyker carb, +2 franks swinger, raptor rear shock.

1996 YSF240 Blaster - maxxed out!!!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "HOLY SH-T, what a ride!"

--
    Good luck Alexandros

Great project and good photos. Let us know how you are going.

Will help out with answers where we can.

Best thread I've read in a while. Looks like a later model KX motor is the way to go.
    My toys 85 KXT250A2, 85 ATC250R, 85 Tri-z 250, 06 LT-R450, 04 YFZ450S, 07 125 typhoon x 3, 06 FPV GT.

--
    Looks great! Glad someone is doing this.
    My Feedback 85 TECATE 500 08 Honda 450R

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //