//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Pro Tec 175 Beginning

--
    lookin good man.

83ATC185S is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    pretty sweet, I have a little tri moto in my back yard I should see if i can get it running!

--
    Your Makign Me Wish I Had Onelol On Wait I Think I Gave It To Gazoo
    ok here goes, 85 atc70,2 84 atc70's 83 alt50,83 atc110 , 70 us 90 parot green, 85/86 350x garage queen, stock rider 85 350x, project 85 350x 85 250r drag bike, 2 85 250sx's, alt185, , scat tracker?99blaster,85 250r rider,85 250r ice racer project ,93 kx500,99 xr200r, 91 dr250s ,89 lt500 quadzilla,88 lt250quadracer, 88 trx250r race full on race quad,, 01 yamahakodiak400, kawaki kd100,lt50 for my doughters,93 300ex, 230 quadsport, lt185, lt250 quadrunner,84200s, is that enough?

--
    I just went up to PA and picked this up, less than $400. Tries to run, needs carb cleaned and oil changed and air filter. What do you guys think, a transplant for the pro tec project? Except for a dent in the gas tank, a couple small tears in the seat and the missing airbox assembly, a nice bike. A tough choice. I'll probably at least get it running as the bike before I transfer over at least. Imagine a suspension yt175 with clutch and kick starter. And the kicker on this thing is short so I don't think it will be much of a clearance problem. Wheel spacers will be a must and at least the rear fenders come off easy enough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tmpphpIMfSaS.jpg   tmpphplhAp0U.jpg   tmpphpZtHgF9.jpg   tmpphp6c2V3a.jpg   tmpphpnGjXvc.jpg  

--
    wow!!! hard to find old bikes that nice around here. that would be a tough decision. the yt would be awesome with that engine but if your an old bike fan it would be hard to justify tearin that apart. on the flip side veal, prolly be the baddest yt around!!!

--
    Nice score Pat! I was just thinking(before I came across this thread) about the kickstarter clearance, & I searched for a pro tec pic to see how much farther back the swing arm puts the wheels, and here's your thread! Wow, it's finally happening! So do you think the combination of wheel spacers & swing arm length will work? I was also wondering how different the MX pipe is than the YT/Bassani pipe(s)? Way to go, man.

--
    Well, It's been awhile since I've been working on the 175. I managed to finally take the last of my vacation days, so I've had some time to work on the 175. I started by removing the engine from the mx175 which wasn't too miserable. The worst part is that it's kind of tight in the garage, but I'll be making some room. I then removed the engine from the yt175. Then I installed the mx175 engine into the yt175, it just bolts right in. 2 things I noticed. I will have to fabricate some kind of bracket so the rear brake cable will have a place to be mounted since that mounting was part of the yt175 engine case. Also, the mx175 does not have a vacuum fitting to operate the fuel pump of the yt175, so I will probably have to drill and tap the cylinder for that. It appears the spigot on the front of the yt175 cylinder will bolt onto the mx175 cylinder so that should be no problem. I have all the shifter fittings and shift rod that are nos, so I put them on the mx175 and they fit real nice, but they are a real pain in the but to try and set. The electrics on the mx175 plug right into the yt175 wiring harness with all the colors matching properly so it looks like that should be no problem. I have a real nice mx175 carb that needs a new choke knob, but it is carb mounted so I will probably not be using the stock choke cable which should be nice since I don't want to be using the stock for set up. I'm not using the 2 stroke injection and will be premixing my fuel so I'm not mounting the 2 stroke oil tank or the level sensors for the tank. I'm not sure if I'll be using the stock twist throttle for the mx175 or the thumb throttle, but I do have a nice nos yt175 thumb throttle assembly. I'll try and get a couple pictures and I'll try and get the rear suspension all mounted up too. I have 2 nice nos rear grab bars and all the stuff except the lens for the rear tail light, but I'm not sure if I'll be running that or not. I'm not sure if the honda triple tree stem is the same as a yt 125/175 stem, but I'll be finding that out real soon too as I wanted to put an aftermarket front end on the yt. I still have the nos bassani exhaust and I'll be looking into getting one of my bilstein shocks rebuilt for the yt too. Once I get it all put together and see what works and what I want to change or modify, then I'll probably tear it back down and see about stripping and powdercoating the frame. It looks alot different with that mx175 engine in there though. Pictues tomorrow at the latest, maybe in an hour or so, but excuse the mess.

--
    A few quick pictures. It's not real pretty since it's just the trial fitting to see if everything will fit together and what needs to be modified. You'll see the yt engine sitting on the floor beside the frame. The mx175 engine is in the trike. Notice the kicker on the right side of the engine and notice the clutch cable on the left side of the engine. Looks like I'll be needing a longer clutch cable too. More goodies for the search. I'll work on the rear suspension tomorrow and try and transfer the spigot from the yt175 engine to the mx175 engine and remount the bassani exhaust. It should be a nice little progress day tomorrow too. Hope you like the pics. Don't mind the mess.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tmpphp9fWZuv.jpg   tmpphpbUBd0H.jpg   tmpphpOP46ei.jpg   tmpphpoRGivK.jpg   tmpphpQAItZq.jpg   tmpphpYa18jG.jpg  

fatcat is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    you should modify the yt engine to fit that dirtbike.. i think it would move on pretty good in that frame and be a fun play toy lol... that bike looks to nice not to do something with.. Other then that nice build man!!
    My rides

MINT 1986 bw 200

--
    I thought about putting the yt engine in the mx175, but who wants an auto shift, pull start dirtbike? The yt engine probably needs a new piston or at least honed and rings. I'll take offers on the mx dirtbike and the yt engine! LOL

fatcat is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    hey rokon made a pull start fully auto dirt bike and it sold... my fatcat was auto shift and it was fun as hell to ride in mud and wheelie
    My rides

MINT 1986 bw 200

--
    It would work I'm sure. It would just look different. I like shifting and clutching though. That's why I have a bw200. Kickstart, clutch and shift. And for a little something extra, I put a tri z front end on it. Now I have a front disc and a little more rake. Looks different though and a real blast to ride.

--
    That thing is going to be sweet it makes me want to build one
    1982 Yamaha YT125 tri-moto - Boyesen power reeds, YT175 front suspension, Headlight guard.
    1982 Yamaha YT175 tri-moto - Running but ugly
    1984 Yamaha YT 60 tri-zinger - Boyesen power reeds

My feedback.
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ght=old-yellow
    My album
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=98

--
    Well, I have an extra suspension or 2 for you if you want one. I got the rear axle set in place today. I had to do some grinding on the bearing carrier so it would fit. I've been learning as I go since there are no instructions anywhere that I know of. I still have to do some grinding on the frame to make sure the frame will clear the disc brake and the rear sprocket. I'll get some pics shortly. I was taking a little break during and after having some dinner. I need to source some longer bolts that hold the bearing carrier to the rear swingarm and I do believe they are fine thread, but I seem to have misplaced my stock bolts...imagine that. Also I need to pick up 1 nicer rear hub and the wheel nuts and the main axle nut and washer too. I guess I'll be running an ad in the classifieds. I might relist my nos 110 engine too. I'm off to get some pictures.

--
    Here are a couple pics of todays progress. The axle assembly in the frame. The clearance of the disc brake to the frame, still need some more grinding to allow full movement of the disc on the axle. The clearance of the sprocket side to the frame, need some major grinding there too. Also pics of the pieces still left to be installed, the brake arm and the brake and the extensions for the brake actuator. I have to check my local bolt place, but I don't think they have any fine thread metric. I hope I'm wrong. Then I'll be working on mounting the rear brake cable and making some new brackets. The front end work should be starting soon also. I really hope to having this trike look like an old school racer like in the 3 wheeling magazine article. Hope you like the pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tmpphpaPbh3p.jpg   tmpphpnP118P.jpg   tmpphpp8X8Sl.jpg   tmpphpUZ4cI8.jpg   tmpphp1giZmN.jpg   tmpphp3nzdwf.jpg  

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //