//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Pro Tec 175 Beginning

--

Pro Tec 175 Beginning

Well, I had some time today so I stripped the rear axle, premix tank and exhaust from the old 175 and started fitting the Pro Tec Suspension kit. You have to remove the axle adjuster, grind the nut down attached to the frame for the bolt that holds the axle adjuster and open the hole up to 7/16". The 7/16" drill bit is a little too big for my drill so I'm going to have to buy one of those bit with the stepped down shank tomorrow morning. I'm not cleaning it up too much as this is the trial fitting and once things are fit and finalized, then I will clean it up and reassemble it. I've got a couple pictures and some pics of the nos parts I've been collecting. The pitures of the frame are kind of dark since it's late and back in my garage. The first pictures is of the trike before removing anything for the suspension kit. The second picture is of the top shock mount bolted in place. The third picture shows the axle and adjuster and oil tank unbolted. The final picture is one of my Pro Tec suspension kits.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tmpphpnGEhgI.jpg   tmpphpyjI90O.jpg   tmpphpGgGPTS.jpg   tmpphpjyK4up.jpg  

--
    veal, is the upper shock mount part of the kit? any frame mods to install this?

--
    Here are some of my nos parts that will be going on the 175. An aftermarket skid plate. An aftermarket headlight cage. Some more of the nos parts I've been collecting with more on the way. Last but not least is the nos Bassani for the 175! The 175 Bassani is different than the 125 model. The 125 Bassani comes with an adapter for the cylinder and is smaller than the 175. The 175 Bassani goes onto the existing exhaust outlet for the 175 and uses the stock attachment spring. There still is alot of bits I need to get. Anyone with nos or really cherry rear fenders and gas tank cover??? Anyone know of a source for nos rear fenders or gas tank cover??? Any info would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tmpphp1q3Uqq.jpg   tmpphpaeKmsF.jpg   tmpphpAmCyqn.jpg   tmpphpCGkDon.jpg  

--
    Zilla, the upper shock mount is part of the kit. The only mods I'm seeing is the removal of nut that is used to hold the axle adjuster in place, it must be ground flat. Also the holes for the bolt for the axle adjuster have to be opened up to 7/16". Also there is a brace between the sides of the lower rear part of the frame and they need to be cut off and ground smooth so it can clear the swingarm. Other than that, everything bolts on into existing bolt holes. The upper shock mount uses the grabbar holes and a hole in the rear of the frame for the airbox.

--
    thanks man, guess i'll be on the hunt for a suspension kit. nice little collection of goodies u got there.

--
    The collection of goodies and suspension kits grows. 3rd suspension kit thanks to a board member and more goodies on their way too.

--
    Here is a page from a magazine article that details what all comes in the Pro Tec suspension kit. The first kit I picked up was missing some pieces, so now that I have a more complete kit, I'm trying to copy the pieces I'm missing. A slow process. Luckily the guys where I work have been really good in helping me make the bits. Now my hold up is the guy that does the aluminum welding is out for awhile so it has kind of put a halt in the process. Work only has aluminum so thick, so I was kind of forced to use what we have there which means that 2 pieces have to be tigged up to make up the thickness the aluminum is lacking. Also, I've been trying how to figure out how to bend the lever for the rear brakes. The lever is kind of tricky as it has multiple bends and I don't think I can do it in the metal break at work. And the lever is really 3 pieces that are bent seperately and then welded together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pro tec.jpg  

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Man, that is sweet! I've never heard of such a thing. I'm curious to see how it comes out.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    There are 2 or 3 here on the boards already. If you do a search, you'll see pictures of one that is pretty nice.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Vealmonkey View Post
    There are 2 or 3 here on the boards already. If you do a search, you'll see pictures of one that is pretty nice.
    I think I saw the one you were referring to, and it is nice! I thought it was gonna look goofy with the axle moved back, but it looks dam good! I like these trikes alot. I've never seen one in person or ridden one, but they sound like alotta fun. Two-stroke, auto? 5 speeds? Maybe i'll come across one someday.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Well, I've just managed to purchase a 1979 mx175 yamaha, so it might not be a 5 speed auto for too long. I have to pick the mx175 up this weekend. Now if I could just get ahold of those dirtwheels articles on the "project 175" I might be in business.
    Last edited by Vealmonkey; 07-28-2008 at 08:52 PM.

edog is offline I'm like an Original Gangsta...but a post whore instead. The day begins with 3WW
    --
    I like that Bassani pipe!!!!!!

--
    I was working on the frame today. I cut away the rear frame stiffener between the rear frame rails to clear the swingarm and was drilling out my holes for the swinger bolt. The swingarm I'm using uses a 1/2" swinger bolt instead of the regular 7/16" swinger bolt. I got one hole drilled easy enough, but the drill bit seemed dull on the second hole. Wish I had one of those drill doctors!
    Also got a nice box in the mail today. First there were 2, now there are 3!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tmpphpL3COd1.jpg   tmpphpS76Xjg.jpg  

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Vealmonkey View Post
    I was working on the frame today. I cut away the rear frame stiffener between the rear frame rails to clear the swingarm and was drilling out my holes for the swinger bolt. The swingarm I'm using uses a 1/2" swinger bolt instead of the regular 7/16" swinger bolt. I got one hole drilled easy enough, but the drill bit seemed dull on the second hole. Wish I had one of those drill doctors!
    Also got a nice box in the mail today. First there were 2, now there are 3!
    BTW, the drill doctor is the balls! I love the thing.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Okay, a little more progress. Pictures of the cut out rear frame stiffener and the swingarm mounted in place. Looks like I will have to grind out bar for the adjustment of the rear axle bearing carrier but it will be no biggie. I might not even have to do it because I haven't mounted the shock yet and not
    100% sure of my clearance, but I will probably grind it out anyway. I will have to find somewhere that rebuilds bilstein shocks too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tmpphpwbHKnu.jpg   tmpphp6QSZje.jpg  

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //