//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 03 blaster issues!?

gizmo_22 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

03 blaster issues!?

Well i picked up a project blaster the other day for a good price, the bike is pretty beat but hey it was cheap lol. Anyway i'm having some issues with it, for one the bike will start and somewhat idle with the choke full on but as soon as the choke is turned off the bike wants to rev to the moon. Someone installed a twist throttle on it and i'm assuming the tors has been removed, although i don't trust the guys mechanical ability... the other main issue im having is the clutch does nothing. It came with a spare clutch basket and the rod that goes through the clutch doesn't look the same. Heres 2 pics to show what i mean.... The one thats on the motor all it does is spin, it wont come out of the engine at all... makes me wonder what they have in there....

here's an overall shot of the blaster

here's a shot of the clutch and the mess i need to figure out

Here's pics of both sides of the carb, does it look normal?

Oh and my lovely crack i need to fix in the frame

Anyone have any suggestions? And yes i need to clean the carb too....

--
    wow! the rev to the moon means mostly one thing INTAKE LEAK, so that awesome red sealer around the reed cage? Take that out and clean all that up and put the right gaskets back in! the toors should only have the wires that were suposed to be connected to it hooked together thats all. Cant help you on the clutch I havnt been into the blasters clutch sytem yet, wich is something I need to do to my fiance's blasty

--
    well the rod definately isnt right. the one in the first pic with the pressure plate/boss is the correct outer rod. there should eb two rods actually. one on the inside of the clutch, then a bb sized bearing ball, then the one in the pic. the one in the pic is how you adjust the clutch. the nut thingy on the end slides into the inside of the pressure plate/ boss, and you use a phillips head to adjust the tension of it. you can get new rods and the bb ball fairly cheap. as for the carb, well its definately got the tors removed from the top and definately looks as if it could use a good cleaning. there could possibly be an air leak in the intake. judging from the amount of rtv silicone around the reed cage and intake areas. best bet would be to clean the whole area up. go get yourself some new gaskets for the reedcage and inatke boot, and check your reeds while at it. do you know if the carb is jetted right? pick yourself up some jets while getting yourself the new gaskets and clutch push rods. looks to be the stock carb, just someone put a tors eliminator kit on it with a twist throttle, or they just removed it all together and slapped adifferent cap on the carb. if i can grab some pics off mine i will.
    1985 KXT 250 Tecate - kx cylinder, kx ignition, bassani headpipe, answer silencer, v-force reeds, 38mm airstyker carb, +2 franks swinger, raptor rear shock.

1996 YSF240 Blaster - maxxed out!!!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "HOLY SH-T, what a ride!"

gizmo_22 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Ya i managed to find the blaster manual to download... so thats helping some. The rtv around the carb and reeds was my tempory solution to the gaskets not being there, was just doing that for trouble shooting... I am planning on getting the proper gaskets when i get it running right. When i remove the clutch basket should the pushrod for the clutch just pull out? it looks as tho it should looking at the manual however the one thats currently in the bike wont move at all... also i pulled the stator cover off to check things out and oil started dripping out so im assuming i have a crank seal gone bad? Is that something that can be changed without splitting the case's? Im new to the 2 stroke thing with bikes... usually just wrench on my trikes...

--
    well got the pushrod outta the motor, it was in there good... whoever last did a clutch job on it forgot to put the ball bearing in between the rods and they were almost welded together... but i have that squared away, going to change the crank seals and filler up with fluids and see how it works oh and scooterroo some pics would be great
    Last edited by gizmo_22; 09-02-2008 at 12:07 AM.

--
    Oh a quick update, Turns out it had bad crank seals, when i took the flywheel cover off i noticed a nice bit of gear oil come out so i had the local dealer order in some parts and pull the flywheel since i dont have a puller... changed out the crank seals, put her back together and it runs not too bad, it wont idle for anything because theres no idle screw on the carb and its got a twist throttle on it, But the little thing hauls pretty good for a 200. Now i just need brakes.

--
    brakes are good!! lol.
    1985 KXT 250 Tecate - kx cylinder, kx ignition, bassani headpipe, answer silencer, v-force reeds, 38mm airstyker carb, +2 franks swinger, raptor rear shock.

1996 YSF240 Blaster - maxxed out!!!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "HOLY SH-T, what a ride!"

--
    Oh god, silicone sealant. That shows you how amazing this guy is at mechanical work. Basically, that whole engine looks to me like someone worked on it with a Leatherman tool and a "duct tape fixes everything" mentality, that is to say, not really caring enough to put money and care into it. Look at all the junk on it, grime, loose wires... my StarLite 250 snowmobile that I got for FREE looked better than that after I got done with it, everything was clean and the wires were all in place.

Definetely spend some time and clean that thing up, figure out what wires go where and either clip them, seal them, do something. AND GET THAT RED SILICONE OUT OF THERE

EDIT: I was too busy ranting to notice that you had fixed the dang thing already, but still, those wires and the random other junk needs to go.

EDIT EDIT: Also, just browsed through the pics again and I have to tell you, the one nerf bar really makes the machine look spiffy. I guess the guy needed the other one...

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //