//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 250R basket case..my new project

edog is offline I'm like an Original Gangsta...but a post whore instead. The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Restore it and ride it.Just don't beat the chit out of it and take care of it.

--
    I see your in PA, was that the one that was on the Pittsburgh Craigslist? Definately a good start to a nice trike.

--
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edog View Post
    Restore it and ride it.Just don't beat the chit out of it and take care of it.
    I say restore AND beat the chit out of it.

bp739 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtface View Post
    I see your in PA, was that the one that was on the Pittsburgh Craigslist? Definately a good start to a nice trike.
    Yep...it was on the Pittsburgh Craigslist.....but heres the whole story....

About 2 months ago my buddy was out working and stumbles across a three wheeler sittin in a guys front yard. He immediately calls me and tells me about a red trike that has 250 printed on the seat. My first question ....is there an R after the 250 and are the wheels gold?....to which he replies...yep! Twenty minutes later I'm at the guys house...I knock on the door but no one's home,,,so I leave my name and phone number on a note to call me if he wants to sell the R.

Two months pass and I've given up on the R....I was doing my daily craigslist check when i see "85 Honda ATC..liquid cooled, fresh motor........ " So I know there's only ONE liquid cooled ATC....I called the guy up, asked where he lived...and it's the same 250R...I explained to him about me leaving the note on his door...and he knew exactly who I was. I went the next morning , met him and picked it up after work that night...

I'm gonna restore it to ride...just like my other two, I actually ride my 350X all the time...I ride the 350x hard but I NEVER beat it...this one will be the same.I actually tooik the 350X to WV this year and rode it at the Hattfield McCoy trails for a day instead of my KFX700.. ..see the pics below...its actually dirty

The seats gonna stay like it is..this is the first one I wont have to send to the Mosh's to get restored.....I'm gonna use Maier plastic,,,OEM is just to hard to find and costs way to much for me. I'll get repro decals from Harlan and get her as close to original as I can....or at least reasonably close.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HatfieldMcCoy2008005.jpg   HatfieldMcCoy2008012.jpg   HatfieldMcCoy2008009.jpg   HatfieldMcCoy2008027.jpg   HatfieldMcCoy2008067.jpg  
    Last edited by bp739; 09-27-2008 at 03:54 PM.
    85' YAMAHA TRI-Z

85'
    HONDA ATC 250R
    85' HONDA ATC 350X
    86' HONDA ATC 200X

05' KAWASAKI KFX 700

--
    That was a great deal, I have one here that I paid more for, but it was in about the same condition. Low hours, but when it was rode it was rode hard. I see yours still has the rear skid plate which is usually gone, the front sprocket guard mounts aren't broken and it looks like it might still have the original fork boots, to me this means it is probably a low hour machine. I "restore" mine the same as you, not NOS perfect, But nice clean and tight. If you are up by my place, stop in and I'll show you my collection. Make it nice like the other two.

edog is offline I'm like an Original Gangsta...but a post whore instead. The day begins with 3WW
    --
    The OEM plastics aren't that hard to find. You just don't want to spend $280 on the rear fender. I only paid $320 for mine shipped. You can still get the headlight bezel, rad shrouds, front fender from Honda still. The rear fender can be found on ebay new. I bought mine from Chaplin Kawasaki on ebay.

Very nice 350X by the way!!!

Have you ever rode a Water Pumper R ????
    Last edited by edog; 09-27-2008 at 04:50 PM.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a basket case a machine that you buy and it comes all apart? Like, with all the parts thrown in bins, or baskets? I know, I'm a jerk- just had to say it.

By the condition of those rear tires, I'd guess Chuck Norris was riding that thing at some point- (sorry)

Nice score though!
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    bp739, Any updated pictures? If your like me you have to work on it whether the money is there or not. If you have a parts list, Pm it to me I have some stuff laying around. Will help a fellow PA triker if I can.

--
    That is a nice foundation Brant!

It isn't all that much worse than mine when I got it.
    Yours still has a good left side case,with the sprocket cover and bolts still intact,and not busted.
    That swinger bolt, if it is not wanting to come out, take the nut off the right side, tip the trike on its side, and drown it with PB Blaster for a few days and let it run down in the bolt and swingarm. Then spin it with a impact wrench, and then use a air with a punch bit. Mine came right out unharmed that way, and it was siezed so bad, that the suspension wouldnt release after you compressed it.
    Other than cosmetics, it looks really good.
    You are gonna love this one!
    1981 ATC 70
    1978 ATC 90
    1985 ATC 250R
    1993 modded Banshee."Sounds like an Indy car on crack"

www.cosmicquads.com

--
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtface View Post
    bp739, Any updated pictures? If your like me you have to work on it whether the money is there or not. If you have a parts list, Pm it to me I have some stuff laying around. Will help a fellow PA triker if I can.
    Sorry bud, no updated pics yet.....she's gonna have to sit for a while, Ive got a lot of home improvement projects going at the moment....The good new's is that I've got the money in the bank to build my brand new 16'x24' workshop in the back yard...so the 250r will be the first project to come out of the new shop . I've just got to finish all the other home improvements first...(keep the wife happy = more trikes for me)

I'll definitely take you up on the parts offer....let me get a list together...Thanks a bunch.
    Last edited by bp739; 10-05-2008 at 01:49 PM.
    85' YAMAHA TRI-Z

85'
    HONDA ATC 250R
    85' HONDA ATC 350X
    86' HONDA ATC 200X

05' KAWASAKI KFX 700

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.moshman View Post
    That is a nice foundation Brant!

It isn't all that much worse than mine when I got it.
    Yours still has a good left side case,with the sprocket cover and bolts still intact,and not busted.
    That swinger bolt, if it is not wanting to come out, take the nut off the right side, tip the trike on its side, and drown it with PB Blaster for a few days and let it run down in the bolt and swingarm. Then spin it with a impact wrench, and then use a air with a punch bit. Mine came right out unharmed that way, and it was siezed so bad, that the suspension wouldnt release after you compressed it.
    Other than cosmetics, it looks really good.
    You are gonna love this one!

Thanks Tammy its good to hear from you, I think I'm more excited about this trike than either of the other two.....I love my 350x ... but everyone I talk to tells me that the R is a completely different animal...
    Thanks for the info about the swing arm bolt...thats a good piece of info. This trike is really not in bad shape...your right its mostly cosmetic stuff....I'm hoping to get my new shop built before the snow starts flyin...then I'll have all winter to restore the 250R.....should be fun
    85' YAMAHA TRI-Z

85'
    HONDA ATC 250R
    85' HONDA ATC 350X
    86' HONDA ATC 200X

05' KAWASAKI KFX 700

--
    Nice base to start with!

My definition of a basket case usually includes a motor completely taken apart and thrown in a box and of course, missing all the valuable and rare parts .
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Yeah Yamada,I was wondering about that right rear tire too lol!!???
    Nice R BP,wish I could find one in that good of shape!

--
    Dont know if this has anything to do with it but that is the side of the axle with the bend in it....maybe caused the tire to wear funny.......
    85' YAMAHA TRI-Z

85'
    HONDA ATC 250R
    85' HONDA ATC 350X
    86' HONDA ATC 200X

05' KAWASAKI KFX 700

--
    good score now ive gotta get one

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //