//ArrowChat Code

Thread: pull start rope won't retract

--

pull start rope won't retract

83 200s engine my pull start won't retract, and i want to ride. Any way to fix it without taking it apart? I have no where to do it as there is about 2 ft of snow on the ground and there's no dry places to work with small parts near me. I think it will retract eventually because m dad described that he got it stuck out a bit then tried to work it back in and it was going a little bit at a time then he eventually got it out too far and now it will not retract. HELP!!!!

fatcat is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    try tapping the outside of th housing with a ?
    My rides

MINT 1986 bw 200

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    try tapping the outside of th housing with a ?
    tried it a little bit already, didn't want to swing too hard though...

--
    Try heating it up with a heat gun a little and taping it. Alex
    1982 Yamaha YT125 tri-moto - Boyesen power reeds, YT175 front suspension, Headlight guard.
    1982 Yamaha YT175 tri-moto - Running but ugly
    1984 Yamaha YT 60 tri-zinger - Boyesen power reeds

My feedback.
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ght=old-yellow
    My album
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=98

--
    The spring on the inside probably became unhooked, it will most likely need taken apart. Its like 4 or 5 bolts that will need taken out with an 8mm socket and rachet with an extension, and then the recoil comes off. You can rebuild it in your house if you have to, all you'll need for tools is a screwdriver or something to remove a clip, and maybe a pair of pliers and maybe a knife.

Also if you've never been inside a recoil before Howdy has a great thread on rebuilding them if you search for it. Knowing how to fix a recoil is a great skill to have with these old trikes.
    current rides:
    05' 400ex
    02' yz85
    84' 200es big red
    84' 200s with tlr200 engine project (almost done)
    84' atc 110
    83' 225dx with 340cc kohler sled engine

--
    Well if you cant really work on the pullcord case right away and want to go for a run you could just take it off and wrap a rope arpund the side of the motor where the pullcordcase goes. or you could wrap the cord sticking out somwhere out opf the way on the bike and bumpstart it if you wish
    1998 F150 reg cab
    Elan Ski-doo resto mod
    2012 Brute force 650
    98 ranger street truck project

All my rigs are Loud and proud

http://bikepics.com/members/mitchell-gosse/

1984ATC200S is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    it could just be froze, mine does it when its below 10 degrees (Celsius), once it warms up it does fine. so try the heat gun.
    1984 200s
    1984 big red
    1980 Kawasaki Invader 340 liquid
    1993 GMC sierra, 4.3L automatic
    1990 Chev Scottsdale -parts
    1989 Chev wrangler 4.3L 5 speed- parts
    Chevs are for parts GMC's are for driving

--
    either the coil is off and not retracting or the teeth are some how stuck open try forcing the rope in with pliers or something

Howdy is offline Putting Priorities in Order, Busier than ever. Catch me if you can
    --
    Do the right thing and pull the pullstarter off and repair it. Might just take a little thawing and then some drying out. It might require the pullstarter may need taken apart and repaired. No matter what if you don't find the problem and fix it, then you will probbaly continue to have problems with it as time goes by.

I explained a easy way to repair the pullstarters a couple years ago and have posted a couple links to the reply. Do a forum search for that info. It might take a first timer about 30-45 minutes to fix it. I showed it can be removed, taken apart, re-assembled, and re-installed in under 10 minutes for people that have done a couple.
    Howdy

--
    Anybody know where this thread is? ^^^^^^

I've searched.

Thx

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //