//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 350X Frame gusseting and reinforcing, Another one

--
    EMRON is very tough. WE use it on snowplows. Its tough.

Powder it in some super mirror red and it will be beautiful.

--
    Nice work D/C! Hey tanks, the place i get my frames powdered is in belchertown MA at K@K atv. If i recall correctly its 200 bux for standard colors if the thing is already sand blasted and 300 for candy colors. there number is 413-687-9087

--
    Thanks Jeff, I'll keep that in mind if I can get those kind of funds together to do it
    My rides, 1985 ATC 350X, With legit Lamborghini Countach paint,2003 Harley Davidson FXDL Dyna Low Rider,customised the way I like it! 1997 GMC Sierra is gone, primary mode of transportation, 2008 Toyota Yaris!

Check out my build thread of my 350X
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?95389-Tank-s-1985-350X-build-is-FINALLY-all-done!-)
    Screw giving away the Harley, It's payed for!!

--
    Thank you Jeff!!

And thanks Roy for making more work feel appreciated!!

Until you take a good look at the 350X frame, you don't realize how many flaws and weak areas/poor welding there actually is....... That 350X thumper is one heavy engine that relies immensely on that frame to give it a strong backbone.......
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post

And thanks Roy for making more work feel appreciated!!
    Any time bud, always a pleasure to do business with ya
    My rides, 1985 ATC 350X, With legit Lamborghini Countach paint,2003 Harley Davidson FXDL Dyna Low Rider,customised the way I like it! 1997 GMC Sierra is gone, primary mode of transportation, 2008 Toyota Yaris!

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?95389-Tank-s-1985-350X-build-is-FINALLY-all-done!-)

--
    So..... I called up TANK a few weeks back and asked him to bring the frame back to me. I just couldn't let him paint it without reinforcing the seat post area in the back of the frame.

I had previously ignored it because the 1985 frame he had bought, was perfect in that area but after I did all that work to the "known" failure points, I just couldn't let him spend the money to paint or PC the frame without working on that area.

I had a few thoughts myself - In front of that area that fails, I was planning on fabricating up some custom .125 flat plate that would contour to that area and Mig weld it all the way around. Then I wondered if I should build up the area where the grommet for the seat posts goes in also.

Anyhow, after all my own thoughts I sent a PM to Mr ATC (Bill) and asked him what he had done in the past. He sent me a picture and explained he felt it should be almost all the way forwards so I ran with that.

The plates I had cut out of cardboard that I was going to weld in front of that area prone to cracking may have very well done the same thing, but Tank and I had enough time and money into this that I just decided to do what Bill suggested.

I had to heat up and bend the support rod, I used the Oxy/acet and a wire brush to get the paint off too.

It's 5/16ths solid rod and I welded it all along the weak points and also o either side of the frame rails.

This should take care of mostly ALL the 350X frame failures. I think people misinterpret the 350X frame to be weak. It's not any different than any of the other models, other than the 3509X motor is one huge and heavy powerplant and the ATC itself for it's purpose, is quite heavy.

Anyhow, it's done now and I look forward to seeing it in paint or powder this summer :
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    dc I know you've said before you rarely take on work for just purely money...but after my frame makes its way to jason...would you be willing to gusset it.

I'll save some money and I'll pay you well for your time.
    Feedback thread: http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/s...ad.php?t=78535

Patiently waiting..

--
    Here is somewhat of an update on the whole project... I have been acquiring some new parts.. Although I have a complete running 350X that I just initially planned on just swapping all the parts over, from frame, to frame. I couldn't pass on some of the new stuff I got... I got another engine, .020 over, new wiring harness, and some other odds and ends. I now know what you mean DC when you say that the 350X engine is freakin heavy!!! holy mother of god!!! My hernia thanks the weight of it .. As far as the frame is concerned, I will not take the cheap way out, just to get it done. With all the time invested in it, I want it to be rite.. By no means is the finished product gonna be a show piece but, It will be a dependable, more than sturdy enough daily rider Did I ever mention DC That,, You Da Man!!?????

--
    Eh.. It seems like everytime I wash my bike I discover new cracks. (my 86 frame was gusseted before I did my rebuild.) Last time out I noticed it's starting to crack again around both holes in the seat latch area. Now just todAy I notice the mount for the back motor mount right above the sprocket is starting to crack as well. Not sure what to do now. Guess I'll just keep on having it spot welded as I discover more and more. Wish I could afford one of those new chromoloy frames some of you guys are talking about having made.

--
    i upgraded to the 86 frame and had an extra bead ran down my motor mount...looks like one hell of a job you are doing
    current rides
    82' ATC110
    85' ATC310R
    85' ATC250R
    85' ATC250ES
    16' brute force 750

--
    Looks like awesome work, man.

This may sound like a dumb question but do both side need reinforced or is it just the right side is weak?

Also, would you be willing to make some gussets and sell them to me so i can reinforce mine? No problem if you don't want to take on the job. just thought i'd ask.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy View Post
    Looks like awesome work, man.

This may sound like a dumb question but do both side need reinforced or is it just the right side is weak?

Also, would you be willing to make some gussets and sell them to me so i can reinforce mine? No problem if you don't want to take on the job. just thought i'd ask.

I copied them on paper and I can either mail them to you or fax them to you or anyone else. All you need is 1/8th steel plate. But, you guys will have to figure out what you want to do for the left side, I used tubing I have but I have very little left. You can see what I did in this post.

You don't have to go nuts on the right side, just the plain 1/8 steel plate.

Cade - We'll have to see how things go. When I'm working I'm too busy for projects like that. It really was a ton of work.

I can cut up the plates for any of you guys and you would have to custom fit them just a bit. I just like to try to do things reasonable yet not take up allot of my time that I could be building and fixing my own stuff.

--
    Steve's frame shop, steve speaking, how may we help you?

--
    ^ LOL.... If only I had a full shop at my services

I sent you an email....

--
    I'll take a set of plates if you don't mine banging some out. Price and paypal?

If worst comes to worst, I can weld them on there and it'll just take a couple of hours to clean it up later with a grinder... Gorilla weld HO!
    Feedback thread: http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/s...ad.php?t=78535

Patiently waiting..

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //