//ArrowChat Code
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 350X Frame gusseting and reinforcing, Another one

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Veal/DC, there is a thread in the feedback forum regarding the search process. Please check it out and give me your thoughts. This release we're on now, 4.02 was suppose to have been a major improvement in search results. If you guys are still having issues I need your help to track them down.

--
    I took my 350 frame in about 2 weeks ago and just got it back. i took it to a local bike shop that builds custom bikes. i am not too thrilled with the end product, because this frame didn't have one crack in it. i guess what i wanted done didn't get passed to the guy that did the work on it properly. instead of laying a bead under the seat area, he welded in a cross bar right in front of the damn airbox mount. i am not sure if the box will fit now. he removed the piece that holds the cdi box on(where should i mount the CDI now?) and the welds look like crap and they didn't even clean them up. i am afraid to take it back when i figure out that the airbox doesn't fit.

wish i would have ate the shipping cost and sent it to the man, himself!

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    That does suck to hear, but you have to use people who know what they're doing. If you hadn't already seen what these guys can do, and not even in general- I mean specifically, why would you give it to them? Just because they can build a rattle-trap Harley it doesn't mean they know the first thing to do with a Japanese bike, never mind an ATV.

You should have sent it to Dirtcrasher. It's a tough lesson, but a lesson learned nonetheless.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    i have seen some of their builds/work and thats why i took it too them and not some joe down the street that claims he can weld. all well, hopefully i can get it cleaned up and looking better myself.

--
    I'd like to see the pics!

Mig welds RARELY need grinding down. I don't grind any of the welds on the gusseted frames.......

They either can't set the machine or used an arc welder, I would have said WTF right then and there; "YOU TOOK MY CDI MOUNT OFF!!!!!!!"

I've got 2 in the shop now to get going on.
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    I picked up a spare frame for my 350x which already has a hairline crack around left motor mount (85) The spare frame I want to use is broke all the way around the left mount (85 too) an also has a dent and a busted spot underneath the motor close to the front mount. Prolly from a hard bottom out? Anyways I need to build this thing strong because im 6'4" 220lb and I dont want to have to keep repairing every year or so. What is the first step to start gusseting? Is there anyway to measure to see if the frame is squared up before welding the broken spots first? I was planning on fixing this frame first then swapping everything onto it from my bike this winter then fixing my original frame too for a extra. If anyone can show me a list of steps to help me get rolling i'd appreciate it. I'd love to be able to do as much of this build myself not to save on cash but to learn for farther on down the road for future 350x i might aquire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails atc 003.jpg   atc 004.jpg   atc 006.jpg  
    Last edited by swampthang; 09-13-2010 at 10:47 AM.
    "I'm Kind Of Like The Turtle Man Of 3Wheelers."

1986 Honda 350X
    1985 Honda 250R
    1985 Honda 200X

--
    Ouch, It looks to me that the frame has been cracked for quite a while, before it went clean through.. You can tell by the rust on the edges of the crack.. The frame in this thread is mine. It has held up to alot of abuse and some descent jumps as well...Well over a year and a half of abuse, and going strong...
    My rides, 1985 ATC 350X, With legit Lamborghini Countach paint,2003 Harley Davidson FXDL Dyna Low Rider,customised the way I like it! 1997 GMC Sierra is gone, primary mode of transportation, 2008 Toyota Yaris!

Check out my build thread of my 350X
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?95389-Tank-s-1985-350X-build-is-FINALLY-all-done!-)
    Screw giving away the Harley, It's payed for!!

--
    Man, why were these things so breakable? It seems like EVERY frame has some degree of cracking/breaks in it....

Here's my contribution to the list of 'bad' frames:

Look at the left side mount/bolt guide.....it's gone! The left side had been wrapped, lots of bad repairs on this, and then more cracks. Generally when the weakest part or link or something is strengthened, the next weakest becomes more prone to breaking. DC seems to have all of those spots covered in his gussets.....good thing too as I'm a pretty heavy guy.

By the way, this frame's swingarm bolt holes were giant ovals, the rear mount was a paper thin washer welded to it, the seat grommet area was broken on both sides, and several other things.....Luckily I found a pair of decent frames the next week. Sucks I had to drive all over New England to get them, but I got em.

--
    Ryan, I got CO2 gas and started working on your plates today. I found the new designed plates I made up, might add a couple more under the engins, just gotta check the drain plug

Also bought an angle plate for my mill to make getting broken studs out a bit easier and certainly held more rigid.....

We'll get you hooked up

Keep an eye out for .125 plain steel for all these plates.......
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

WilliamJ is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Man, why were these things so breakable? It seems like EVERY frame has some degree of cracking/breaks in it....
    I am pretty sure part of the reason is because of the high volume MIG welding process. It looks really average and MIG welding needs to be very carefully controlled to prevent embrittlement of the parent metal. Basically no pre-heating takes place and cooling occurs too rapidly.

The other reason is probably that the tubes and joints are too slender for the purpose.

I have built quite a few race car chassis in tubular steel. Both in mild steel using nickel bronze welding and Reynolds HT tubing using TIG welding. These things are immensely strong, you almost never get a weld or braze break in normal use if the chassis is designed right. Frequently in heavy collisions the tubes bend but the joints don't break. The downside is they cost a lot to make.

When you repair your trike frame it might help to use nickel bronze. It allows a little flexing and it's easy to do - you just need to make sure the metal is really clean (same as all welding) and you don't overheat the weld and make the nickel bronze boil.

If you can get it, TIG welding is the best of all but not many people have access to one or someone who knows how to use it.

Bill
    Custodian of:-
    85 Tri Z - need rear plastics to go with Mosh seat cover
    83 200x - engine being rebuilt but lodging with a friend
    85 250r - also lodging with a friend until I have a new shed
    ....and a different kind of Z

--
    ^ I was all for a 3500$ TIG welder and then the economy hit a wall, so Mig it is

I'm pretty confident in my welds.....

--
    The honda frames are pretty thin, which I really think is the biggest culprit. They could have used thicker material, but it's more a cost factor. I don't think honda or many makers, think about their machines lasting 20 years or more. Honda was known for stamped steel frames and thin tubing and such. Some of thier newer machines are beefiier and some are not. I've seem some newer quads and bikes that have total crap frames. I've seen some old race machines with not much better. If you would see how some of the Tigers are put together it's pretty amazing. I can see why people are building machines ike the TPC450 and another 450 frame at HRE. Makes me want to have a custom frame for the 350x built in at least mild steel. It would be a whole lot stronger than stock. And if you wanted to go really crazy, chromoly. And the stock frames are so thin, I'm sure dirtcrasher practiced on a trashed frame or 2 to get the welds just right so there wouldn't be any burn through which I'm sure happened during practice welding on an old crappy frame. So it's a real tightrope walk for the guys who repair and reinforce these frames. Not for the novice welder at all. Thick wall mild steel or chromoly would be way more forgiving. And when I say mild steel, I'm talking DOM of course. A custom frame would never be exactly like stock, but who cares.
    Nicholson 500x (Project)
    Nicholson 185s
    Nicholson 110 (That takes an atc70 tank)
    Ascott 500 head/350x (Project)
    Homebuilt Racer Chromoly Suspension 110 (Ragin Runt)
    PK Racing Suspension 70
    A+ Inc Suspension 70
    AWS Aluminum 90 frame
    Hi Performance ATC Suspension frame rd350
    Hi Performance ATC Suspension frame 90

--
    ^ It is very mild and I try to get deep penetration, yet no burn trough. Thing is, some areas will burn trough easy and others can take more amperage...... Lots of the lower tubes have got water filled and the tubing is thinner in some spots, I have to be careful but a mig makes it very easy to fill in, just tap, cool, tap, coool, tap, cool and it's filled again

Thin tubing and small stamped out gussets make for easy assembly. The tubing I used for the heaqdlight guards broke 2 benders so I know it was .020 or so thicker than the bender liked.

Tooling costs go up when you make massive bends like the suspended 70's with 2" tubing bent 90 degrees down.....

RYAN - I'm doing yours as we speak, got some done last night; Find one for VM will ya!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 101_0555.jpg   101_0556.jpg   101_0557.jpg  

--
    Thanks DC. I have that other one I had brought down (the 86??? Opposite year as the one I dropped off for gussets) but never got a PM back from him about it.

camoweasel is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Dirtcrasher,

This a great post. I have a 1985 frame that hasn't seen much abuse until I recently purchased it. I checked for cracks, and so far I've been lucky not to find any. I'm going to be making a trip to some dunes in Florida, and I'm petrified that I will too crack the frame. I'm really hesitant about stripping my frame down to nothing though. I'm afraid, I won't be able to get it back together right. If I pull the engine and airbox, will there be enough room to weld in gussets to prevent that crack in the left side by the engine mount? From the pictures, it looks like there are those 6 triangle gussets going around both sides of the rear frame? In the future I may plan to powdercoat it, but for now, I will jsut the gussts over with red paint. I appreciate your advise or anyone else who has done this as well.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //