//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: leak from CDI cover??

rebel33382 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

leak from CDI cover??

Took the old Big Red out for a day of hard core riding. It got swamped a couple times, put a new plug and it fired right up. It still runs great,smokes blue some, but now its dripping oil from the bottom of the CDI cover. So I took it off and everything is clean in there excpet at the very bottom this is a little hole where oil is leaking from. What does this indicate?? Bad valve stem?? Rings??

I have an 83 185s that looks identical (engine wise) to my 200ES Big Red. Could I swap cylinder heads out right if I needed to???
    Thanks
    1984 200ES first Shaft driven big red with reverse!
    85 Big Red 250ES with a rebuilt top end!

--
    Isn't it the pulse generator that bolts up midway on the left of the motor??

If this is anything like the 200X motors with the same setup, beneath that cover and behind the pieces that make it up, there is an oil seal that goes bad.....

I could be way off, but hey, nobody else responded
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    I do believe DC is correct . Its the same as the first gen 200x set up. Now as far as the smoke, how bad did you sink it
    82 200e
    85 250es
    86 250r

Trike fest 08,09,10,11,12,13,15 and counting
    Coal creek 09,10
    Invasion 2011 , Trikes ridden in 13 diff states and counting

--
    Is it the one behind the spark advancer?? Its 15x25x7 according to the microfiche

--
    there's a seal inside the CDI that seals the oil in, and then there's a seal where the cdi cover mates to the head along with a O-ring. they coudl be worn, but since your blowing smoke, I'm thinking more likley your getting crankcase pressure due to piston ring blowby and the extra pressure caused the leaking. you can repalce the seals, but the issue is going to happen agian. only way to resovle it is going ot do a top end rebuild most likley is my thoughts.

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

--
    ok folks, In the process of removing the engine to do a top end rebuild!!!! I am down to the last bolt(engine-frame) the one at the very bottom, its being stubborn, will put impact on it tomorrow. Heres the deal...the manual does not say how to remove the driveshaft, there is no reference to it. Do I just remove the allen head bolts??? Does the engine have to fully come out to remove valve cover/cylinderhead??? Is there anyway to sneak it the valve cover off?/!!???

--
    no you do not have to take the engine out of the frame.
    loosen the bottm bolts and let it drop down the 1/2. that tiny bit will give you the needed space to work on it.
    for an inframe top end i found it easiest to go in this order.

• take the entire cdi assembly, then the cdi housing to where you see the cam and timming chain
    • disconnect the any other wires and hoses to the engine itself
    • take the intake and carb off
    • take the exhaust off
    • loosen the timing chain tensioner bolt
    • Take the valve caps off first.
    • Take the top end nuts off (4 -10mm and 4-12mm if they are factory)
    • Take the side timing guide bolt off. it's the bolt that was next to the cdi hole
    • Take the 2 bolt sholding the timing gear to the cam off and pull the timing gear forward to get it off it's little lip perch and onto the shaft of the cam
    • take the valve cover off. you may have to wiggle it and twist to get it off.
    • take the from screw out in the center of the rocker peice and remove that plate, then push the rocker pins out and remove the rockers
    • remove the cam and rear bearing leave the timming gear and gently let it slide down. leavin the gear allows you something more to hold on to for later when installing.
    • remove the head
    • remove the otehr timing guide
    • remove the 4 studes. (use 2 nuts as a jam nut to keep from damaging the studs)
    • remove jug and piston

your now ready to clean everything up, replace gaskets and reassemble in the same order.
    good luck man! it's not too hard, but it took me a bit to get a specific order down pat to where i can do a top end w/o removing the motor assemble at all. it's much easier this way as there's no chain or shaft to have to remove and redo later.

good luck and keep posted on details!

--
    ok oscarmeyer (which I saw the weiner mobile last week) will try to get that valve cover off!! More details to come.............

--
    take pics of each step!!!!

good luck man! it's not hard, just takes time and thought. reassemly is te biggest pita, bit it's still ok. there's always 1 stud that wants to be a pain.

--
    I cannot get the valve adjustment covers off, they are just rounding off, I have been soaking them with PB Blaster. I think I will have to put the air chisel on them. i do have an extra set off the 83 185s I picked up the other day

--
    any ideas how to get these little valve adjustment covers off?, they are pretty much rounded off now from a pipe wrecnh??

--
    the chipping gun got them off, just pulled the studs out and removed jug and piston, going to bring it to machine shop in a few hours and see what they say about boring/honing

--
    yea you can use a larger pipe wrench and potu the head valvecover in a vice to get them off. jsut make sure you use a lot of rags and put wood between the cover and the vice jaws. when wrenchign them off, make sure you only grab the cap not the cover sides.

--
    oops missed the 2nd post where you got it appaort. did my steps help ya?

--
    yes they helped. This is getting out of control, Have a chance to buy another 200es that smokes, like mine did, but has great plastic and forks, which mine does not. I brought the jug and cylinder head and piston to the machine shop. They did a vacuum check on the vlaves and said they were good, they jug was mic'd(micrometered) and it was ok, they put it on a honing machine that honed it with oil, not a dry type.(like on a drill.) Then they checked the piston and said it had "shrunk" and was no good, all scuffed up on the sides. So I am going to order an ebay piston kit, gasket set, and uni filter. Unless someone has a better source of pistons

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //