//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The curious case of Jim's SX - How to save a Trike

--
    Quote Originally Posted by honda250sx View Post
    Currently trying to build a tool to get that nut off that hold in the pinion shaft. I cant find my tool
    Is there a tool? This is the spot that I am stuck at with my friends sx. I was hoping that I could wedge the pinion enough with a rag that I could back the nut off with the inpact gun, that has worked before on other parts but it was a no-go on this.
    1984 Yamaha YT 60 Tri Zinger(current project)
    1983 Yamaha YTM 200 (rear suspension kit)..... long term project
    2004 BMW R1150R
    1972 Honda CT 70
    2007 Lifan 110

--
    I thought he was talking about the big nut that seats the front pinion bearing??

But, if it's the pinion nut that won't come off, I'd halfass reassemble the diff and get a penny between the gears - wedged in the direction of loosening the pinion nut....
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Straight outta the CNC suckafools!!!

44mm HEX, 4140 pre heat treated. 1" hole in the center to clear the shaft. FCK with me NOT differentials...

--
    Bing, Bang, Boom...DONE!

Send that to GKING and polish it UP!

Suckafools
    Nate

The Myth, The MAN, The Legend
    R.I.P HRR

Quote Originally Posted by honda250sx View Post
    Fact: Dr. Death is Bob from Enzyte.

--
    Uhmm, CNC huh??? So that means you blew out a few RIGHT!!
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Yes but...GOLD BULLION will be required in TRADE...no wampam belts

--
    I love being able to make my own stuff. This worked like a charm.

--
    looks great bro!

--
    I'm no machinest but I do have a welder and a grinder so after a trip to the hardware store and $9 my buddy Joe (slow200s here) made this in about 15 minutes. It works great with a pipe wrench on the end.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0023.JPG  
    2004 BMW R1150R
    1972 Honda CT 70
    2007 Lifan 110

--
    Now you have true improvision skills. Nice work FOX!

How is the needle bearing on the end of the pinion? Is the pinion shaft journal shot or grooved at all? That seems to be the weak spot of these differentials.

--
    Both bearings were shot but the diff. case is still good. We are lucky and there aren't any grooves in it, although removing that needle bearing was the hardest part of the job. We ended up pressing it out through that small hole using a 6mm bolt and the bench vise.
    2004 BMW R1150R
    1972 Honda CT 70
    2007 Lifan 110

--
    Ahh for that lil prick I have blind bearing puller and slide .

--
    I saw that it has slots for the slide but I don't have jaws small enough to get in there. I really should get a nice blind bearing puller kit, I keep coming acrost these bearings that take some creative measures to get out. That is one of those tools I don't think about until I need to use it though.
    2004 BMW R1150R
    1972 Honda CT 70
    2007 Lifan 110

--
    Well after a little tinkering tonight. I got the pinion shaft out. My tool worked FLAWLESSLY. The pinion shaft itself did not want to come out easily. So I tossed the differential in my powdercoat oven on 250 degrees for 20 minutes. Pulled it out of the oven and the pinion shaft practically fell out. Little heat goes along way.

The pinion end needle bearing is a MF'ER. Luckily I have a trick set of metric blind bearing pullers. Again, came out like butter.

Steve you figured the pinion would be junk. Boy were we wrong. She's MINT. Couldn't believe my eyes!

And as always. I was busy tapping all the holes. Tomorrow...Sandblast and Powdercoat...Install bearings, seals, and bolt this thing back together. It will be damn near new.

Stay tuned!
    Last edited by honda250sx; 06-23-2011 at 03:06 PM.

--
    Spent sometime glassbeading a ton of stuff for Jim's trike. The differential turned out very nice. Jim also picked up some MINT pegs.

Got it powdercoated as well in some super mirror black. Came out looking very nice as always. Retapped all the holes. Had the ALLBALLS kit in the freezer over night. After the powdercoat cooled to room temp. I put the bearings in. I use an electric heat gun to heat the differential back up nicely. Remove the bearings from the freezer and they simply drop into the differential cases.

The pinion shaft is done just the opposite. You want the shrink the shaft and enlarge the bearing. So the shaft went in the freezer and the bearing went in the toaster oven in the shop for 200 degrees @ 20 minutes. Got the shaft out of the freezer and installed the shim that goes on the shaft, pulled the bearing out of the oven and dropped it on the shaft. DONE.

When installing the pinion shaft w/bearing installed into the differential case again I used the same priciples. The completed shaft as an assembly went back into the freezer. Again I used the electric heat gun to bring the differential case up to temp. and expand it just a hair. After an hour or so of freezing the shaft, i removed it from the freezer and merely dropped it into place.

I then installed the pinion bearing retaining nut and fitted it up in the vise to torque it properly. I need to champher the ID hole of my tool so that I can weld a socket in there nicely. Just so happens that a 15/16th socket fits snuggley in the hole thats needed for clearing the pinion shaft/driveshaft gear.

Last edited by honda250sx; 06-23-2011 at 03:07 PM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //