//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Project Atc 500r forward kick

--
    how much would you chagr to build one or atleast machine the gears?
    ATC500AF

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Golightly View Post
    Jeff, I'm looking through your pictures better, when I first read it, I thought you were going to be using set screws and some weld to hold that gear onto the CR500 kickershaft, but the caption under your one picture leads me to believe that you simple turned down a kick starter knuckle that had the correct splines in it, to fit the ID of the gear? Am I understanding that right? That is infact the very idea I had been thinking of to myself on how to do that. How did you address the clamp/tightening bolt that held it tight against the shaft? Is it tight enough to run without that? Fantastic that it can infact be done
    That is exactly what i did Billy. I took the cr kicker shaft out of the motor and took all the parts off of it. Then took the stock cr knuckle and just put it on where it usually goes, that is after i trimmed it up a bit, then threw the whole kicker shaft in the lathe with the bolt and washer that normally hold it on. Its the easiest way to hold it.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
    just how hard are these things to kick? since everyone seems to be going with that decomp.
    Im a big guy and dont have any trouble kicking it over. But with the kicker now being 1.5 to 2 inches shorter than the cr 500 kicker and a different gear ratio,.....im not sure how bad its going to be.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
    just how hard are these things to kick? since everyone seems to be going with that decomp.
    I have heard KX's are the worst. I never even bothered to try mine without the compression release but I only weigh 145 lbs. The dude I bought it from was 200+ lbs and told me he had snapped 2 kickers before. I guess the KX's are known for that. After I got the jug back I fired the thing up no problem.

I tried to kick over my buddy's KTM380EXC and couldn't get that thing running.

2 of the guys we ride with ride LT500's and they either have it down to a science or they just aren't that hard to kick over because they fire right up.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

hondawasaki is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    I have heard KX's are the worst.
    There tough stock (60hp), just think what 105hp will be like!!

Looks like a great start Jeff!! I'll be watching for update pics!!

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by hondawasaki View Post
    There tough stock (60hp), just think what 105hp will be like!!

Looks like a great start Jeff!! I'll be watching for update pics!!
    Hondawasaki, why don't you just get the titanium insert for your leg ahead of time. That way you won't have to wait until it breaks!
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Well i didnt get as far as i thought i would yesterday, but i did get the pillows for the bearings mostly made. Im going to make these de-tachable from the frame with a couple of 1/4 inch plates that will be welded to the frame. Today ill finish up the pillows, (mill off the square corners on the front). And make the plates.

--
    Heres a sketch of what im thinking for plates to mount to the frame, i think one for each side will work fine, but ill make 4 of them in case it needs to have one on both sides of the bearing, like a sandwich.

--

--
    If you want to do this but want to keep the gearing one to one, you will have to do it a different way, there is only about 3/16 gap from the shaft to the back of the motor with the way i have mine set up. Ive thought up a way of running a smaller rear gear while still using a shaft all the way across the frame like this but its kind of difficult to explain on the computer and will require a couple other parts on top of what ive already had to make.

--
    That is awesome, Jeff.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Nice work so far Jeff. How do you plan on attaching the kickstart lever to the new shaft? It doesn't look like the new shaft protrudes beyond the right side bearing carrier enough to get a lever on there. Do you plan on cutting some splines on the new shaft?

D'oh! Disregard the above questions. I just reread your first post, and I see that you plan on welding on the splined end of a 250R kickstarter shaft. That ought to solve both the stubby shaft & lack of splines problems.
    Last edited by Red Rider; 01-18-2009 at 03:34 PM.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Thanks for the good comments guys. I think its going to work great!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 200x newby View Post
    how much would you chagr to build one or atleast machine the gears?
    For you, $2000

--
    Well i more or less finished the bearing holders, ive been kinda lazy lately and havent done much with this, but soon enough everything will be welded up.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //