//ArrowChat Code
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Project Atc 500r forward kick

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Love it...I've got to build one of those for my 500!

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Lookin good Jethro.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Well, didnt work out so well, the jackshaft ended up bending right where the splined end was welded on under the load of starting it.
    I think this will work great only if a decomp is used, its just too much piston to be throwing around with no comp release for my forward kick contraption.

--
    Jeff, is that just plain old cold rolled steel welded to those hardened splines?? I'm surprised it didn't snap.......

We gotta find you a splined shaft made from tool steel. May need a center bearing being that it will be a shorter shaft (not sure if you even have the room to do that) but thats just me thinking aloud......

You may even find a (correctly) splined longer countershaft or main shaft out of something.

I bet those splines are the same as my 87 200X kickers but they'r too short to do anything with.

Any idea how many splines there are and the OD??
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    hey, you need to get it heat treated.
    one cylinder is not enough!!

--
    x2

Heat it red hot and throw it in the dirtiest oil you can find (used diesel engine oil = better). The carbon and other impurities like nitrogen, phosphor in the oil is what you're after to case harden it. You could also throw it in urine or stick it through a body like they did with swords...

--
    Regardless, if he used cold rolled everyday steel, then it will never mate properly. You CANNOT heat treat 2 different steels the same way; I think he needs air hardening or oil hardening shaft material or a shaft from something that fits which is why I'd like to have the spline count and O.D.

It seems his bent right at the weld or somewhere between the 2 bearings.
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

bcredneck is offline I can fit a square peg in a round hole. Just give me a hammer and duct tape! Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by BGP View Post
    x2

Heat it red hot and throw it in the dirtiest oil you can find (used diesel engine oil = better). The carbon and other impurities like nitrogen, phosphor in the oil is what you're after to case harden it. You could also throw it in urine or stick it through a body like they did with swords...
    this totaly works when i make gun parts i do this because i live in canada and hunt its a pain to find parts for any guns most stores dont sell small parts so we make them from normal steel keep them red hot for at least 5 min and dipp in used motor oil and repeat 3 times the oil you use cant have water in it or it wont work properly the water makes a steam barrier and the steel will be brittle the blacker the oil the more carbon the better it works

--
    The stock is high carbon, not cold rolled. I think its because its welded right at the most vulnerable place, being so close to the bearing, and on the wrong side of the bearing.
    A one piece shaft would prob be much better, but im thinking its gonna fail somewhere else after.
    Theres just too much strain there, it needs a decomp, otherwise i will just be battling problem after problem.
    If i put a decomp on it, im sure if i straighten out the shaft i have, it will work fine.

--
    So did you ever get that jack shaft to work ?
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

B S is offline New to the board Arm chair racerNew to the board
    --
    i see it working if your able to use a pre made shaft then make a extension on the end of it with a set screw instead of wwelding it

make sense?

i could make a diagram ?

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //