//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Atc 500r forward kick

--

Project Atc 500r forward kick

Well after seeing a picture of prohemi500's atc 500r with a forward kick setup, i decided that i would also like to have one. My 500 has always been a pain to start. Its not that i cant kick it over, i think its that i cant kick it over fast enough. The pig would always start easily by pop starting which leads me to believe the motor just wasnt turning over fast enough. So im running a slightly larger gear behind the motor with hopes this will cure things. If it's too hard to kick over like this, there is always the decompression setup i could install. We will see.
    The gears are tranny gears from a ratted out trx 250 utility 2x4 quad from the mid 80's. I had to do some machine work to them and it wasnt too fun even with carbide inserts, but i limped through it. I took the kick shaft out of the cr motor and attached the knuckle to the end of it and turned it down to fit the other gear over it. The shaft will ride on two koyo sealed bearings that will be attached to two pillow blocks that will be mounted to the frame. Hopefully i will have the pillows done today. A little welding and some set screws to hold the back gear to the shaft, and i also have to cut the splined end off of a 250r kick shaft and weld it to my new shaft that goes behind the motor and i should be done! Running this shaft means that i lost my original shock bottle mount, i had to put on a trx250r shock assy that has a longer hose and run it to the subframe like on the trx models. The shaft isnt any lower than the chain guard that originally went below the stock bottle mount, so no worries about the chain hitting it.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Nice job Jeff, that looks pissa!

What kind of compression release you got? I got one installed for my 500. Wasn't cheap but works good.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Heres the rear gear with a collar fitted to it. I still have to drill it and put set screws in it to hold it to the shaft and weld the collar to it.

--
    Heres another shot of the rear gear.

--
    Heres the turned down kicker knuckle with the new gear fitted to it that goes on the cr kick shaft on the motor.

--
    Left side of the bike, after i get everything in its final place ill trim the shaft back.

--
    thanx for posting this!!! HEY BILLY!!!!

--
    Do you have a link to the build of your frame? I am currently working on a frame for a 500 and I have been looking at all the ways you guys fabricated your frames to come up with the best way I can build mine.
    1985 500R "Wally"
    1985 ATC250R All stock but the rims.....Hit me up if you got some gold rims!!
    2006 Yamaha Banshee SE
    2006 Suzuki Z400
    2002 KTM 125SX
    Kawasaki SX 550 Standup

--
    Fabio- I dont actually have a de-comp yet and dont plan on getting one unless i really have to. You get that done from that guy on e-bay for 200 bux?

Sandslinger- Im somewhat computer retarded and dont know how to post links, do a search and you will find it, its called New start to the 500 project and is on the second page, or maybe someone can make a link for you.

--
    From one Jeff to another. Us Jeff's have to stick together ya know.

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/s...rt+500+project
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    [QUOTE=jeffatc250r;696329]Fabio- I dont actually have a de-comp yet and dont plan on getting one unless i really have to. You get that done from that guy on e-bay for 200 bux?

QUOTE]

Ya, he used to be on Ebay. I don't think he is anymore. Accu-Fab is the company. The guy did a great job and there's no way I would've been able to kick this thing over before but he took forever. After about 4 months I was calling there 2 times a day. I didn't get my jug back for 6 months. This will also allow me to run a Tecate length kicker so it doesn't hit my fenders. I had a Tecate kicker lever machined to fit the KX500 kicker base (thanks Dickiedog).
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Hmmm,

SOMEBODY's got demselves a lathe!!

Nice stuff Jeff!! Looking great and supporting that jack shaft all the way to the left side is perfect!
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Awesome, fantastic Job there. I think this will be the next mod that is done on my 500R

--
    just how hard are these things to kick? since everyone seems to be going with that decomp.
    Feedback thread: http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/s...ad.php?t=78535

Patiently waiting..

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Jeff, I'm looking through your pictures better, when I first read it, I thought you were going to be using set screws and some weld to hold that gear onto the CR500 kickershaft, but the caption under your one picture leads me to believe that you simple turned down a kick starter knuckle that had the correct splines in it, to fit the ID of the gear? Am I understanding that right? That is infact the very idea I had been thinking of to myself on how to do that. How did you address the clamp/tightening bolt that held it tight against the shaft? Is it tight enough to run without that? Fantastic that it can infact be done

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //