//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Removing rear bearings from an aluminum carrier

--
    Hey guys, just how hot do you need to get the bearing carrier? Ive been sitting on the garage floor holding a blowtorch to the bearing carrier for my '85 Z for probably 15 or 20 minutes, and checking surface temp with a digital thermometer. Its up to 350 deg. F and I can hear grease boiling inside but the damn bearing wont budge no matter how hard I smash it into a block of wood. Do I just keep going? I dont want to damage anything

Micahdogg is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    If you put heat to it for too long, you have probably heated the steel bearing up to where it has expanded with the aluminum carrier. I think a minute is plenty long to heat it up. You want the aluminum to expand, which will happen fairly quickly, but not the bearing inside.

I would let the whole thing cool back down and try again. This time just get it hot enough to where you can't touch it. You don't need 350 degrees, but just "hot."
    (if you click this stuff, you will see pictures of this stuff)
    2001 Indian Scout
    2011 KTM 250SX
    1986 ATC250R
    1989 Thunderbird SuperCoupe
    2006 F150 Crew

--
    that didnt work

Quote Originally Posted by Micahdogg View Post
    If you put heat to it for too long, you have probably heated the steel bearing up to where it has expanded with the aluminum carrier. I think a minute is plenty long to heat it up. You want the aluminum to expand, which will happen fairly quickly, but not the bearing inside.

I would let the whole thing cool back down and try again. This time just get it hot enough to where you can't touch it. You don't need 350 degrees, but just "hot."

Micahdogg is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Maybe she just extra stubborn? Prepare for war.
    2001 Indian Scout
    2011 KTM 250SX
    1986 ATC250R
    2006 F150 Crew

Mosh is offline I'm the one with all the 2 stroke around here! The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Uhh?
    Tri-Z does not have an aluminum carrier. They are steel.
    I have never needed to heat a carrier to remove or install bearings.

Not to sound mean, but maybe you are misunderstanding the procedure to replace these?
    If so, I recomend you take the carrier to the machione shop and pay 30$ to have it done before something gets damaged.
    Here is where my long useless list of stuff nobody cares about should go...

Proudly NOT a member of

"Team on the Teat"

--
    That explains a lot. On the honda carriers this works like a charm, but if you are expanding a steel carrier and steel bearing at a similar rate, it's not doing much.
    2001 Indian Scout
    2011 KTM 250SX
    1986 ATC250R
    2006 F150 Crew

arlaunch is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I got one of those tusk bearing pulling collet sets. And it works like a charm.

Front hub bearings and engine case bearings. All the stuff.

Easy, professional and not that expensive.

1984 Honda Big Red ATC 200ES (Emma)
    1985 Honda 200X ATC (Pretty Boy)
    1985 Honda 250R ATC (Dr. Fast)
    1985 Honda 250R ATC ( 77 )
    1985 Honda 250R ATC (Baller)
    1986 Honda 350X ATC (Go Go Girl)

Feed Back: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-arlaunch

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //