//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Removing rear bearings from an aluminum carrier

--
    Blog Entries

Removing rear bearings from an aluminum carrier

I used to drive myself crazy with the "knock the bearings out with a and punch" method. On a 250r for example, there's not a lot of play in that center collar so there's not much of a lip to get the punch on. I had a set that just didn't want to come out so I took it to the shop, ready to gladly pay someone a few bucks to save me the headache.

When I got there and explained what I was trying to do, the shop owner showed me an old school trick instead of charging me to do it. I've used this trick twice now and it worked perfectly both times.

First remove the bearing carrier from the swingarm.

Next, get a 2x4 ready.

Heat up the brake side of the carrier with a torch (I used a simple propane torch). You might hear a pop or two. This is the aluminum expanding and actually detaching from the bearing.

Once it's sufficiently heated, grab the carrier with a gloved hand, turn it over and slam it down on the 2x4 with a fair amount of force. If it's heated up enough, once or twice will usually do the trick.

Slamming it down after heating will allow the brake side bearing to easily move down to be flush with the edge of the carrier. This gives you plenty of space to get the punch in there and knock it the rest of the way out (it will come out extremely easy at that point).

Once the brake side is off, heat up the sprocket side and knock it out with a punch. This side will be a little more difficult. The area around it is much thicker so it will not expand as much. With the other bearing and the collar removed however, it's a hundred times easier than the old "beat on it until it comes out" method.
    Last edited by Dammit!; 04-07-2009 at 07:54 PM.

Russell 350X is offline Testicles between my toes at the devils backbone Teaching quads a lesson
    --
    I have the same battle everytime I do these. Good thread!!
    TF 07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14!
    Raffa's IceFest 08, 09, 10,11,13!

SAY IT!!!!!BUD LIGHTS AND RED LIGHTS!!!!!!

--
    I like that way. I usually heat the center of the carrier, you will hear some pops. Once the grease in the carrier starts ouizing out, a tap with a and punch will take it out easy. Next time I will bang it against a piece of wood. Also, I usually have the bearings in the freezer and once I get the old ones out, remove the bearings from the freezer and "drop" them in while the carrier is expanded. Saves some work.

--
    Great little trick. I actually have a puller I use that is supposed to be used to pull the bearings out of an auto trans case in a car but that method of yours sounds like the hot set up. Its probably especially good if you want to take the bearings out without destroying them. I have a set of good bearings in a T3 carrier and I'd like to glassbead the carrier but I didn't want to wreck the bearings taking them out. I'll give this method a try.

John
    1985 Eddie Sanders ATC330r
    1986 Monstecate
    1984 ATC70 (awaiting 125cc transplant)
    1984 ATC125M
    1986 GSXR 750 - Keepin' it old school!
    1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4 plow machine
    1999 Arctic Cat Thundercat 1000 (lake lizard)
    1996 Arctic Cat Jag 440 L/C (ditch banger)

Micahdogg is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Glad I read this...I'll be trying it in a few days.
    (if you click this stuff, you will see pictures of this stuff)
    2001 Indian Scout
    2011 KTM 250SX
    1986 ATC250R
    1989 Thunderbird SuperCoupe
    2006 F150 Crew

--
    sorry for the silly question, looked in my manual to try to find out which piece is the bearing carrier, can't figure it out. Which item in this diagram is the carrier?

Thanks

--
    The 200x don't have a removable bearing carrier. The bearing carrier is welded to the swingarm. But it is not a problem to change the bearing. Just use a long drift (punch) and a . Use a socket to seat the new bearing into the «carrier».

1984 Yamaha YTM-225DX
    1985 Tri-Z 1985 Tecate 1984 Tri-Zinger and 1986 ATC250R projects
    Yamaha 3-wheeler owners club Join now!
    Official 3WW Yamaha 3-wheeler owners group
    Québec 3-wheeler riders group

--

Works!!!

So last night I put this method to the test on my TRI-Z. All I can say is that it worked great. They slid right on out like butta. Thanks for the tip.
    Stiles

--
    your the man. I just did this 10 minuets ago and I was reluctant but all the pounding with was getting me no where. Heating it worked really well. Thanks for the tip.

Note. Watch the hot grease flinging onto your arms while pounding.
    Last edited by Bob225; 10-11-2009 at 08:22 AM.

Micahdogg is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    2nd that. As a follow up to my post above, I did try it and it worked really well heating up the carrier.
    (if you click this stuff, you will see pictures of this stuff)
    2001 Indian Scout
    2011 KTM 250SX
    1986 ATC250R
    1989 Thunderbird SuperCoupe
    2006 F150 Crew

--
    ive always used heat to expand the carrier,i also use a propane torch,dont want to much heat,i.e. make it cherry red.then when setting the new bearings,i always use wood.i have a nice piece of hard wood the exact diameter of the bearings,cut from a branch.
    1985 ATC 250R
    . Team Red Trike

--
    I have a oven in my shop I use and it works great! The good thing about the oven is it is a contorlled heat.Some times I have to do up to 6 at a time I just put them in all at once at 400 degrees and in 15 min or so there ready.I use this for installling them also.After they cool I clean the housing and center tube usually running some emery cloth in the housing.Put a lite coat of grease on the outrer surface of the center tube.Reheat the carrier, drop one side in flip it over using a big socket or whatevery to hold the bearing in and then drop the center tube in and the other bearing. And heads up use a pair of welding gloves if you like your hands!!!!!

--
    Oven mitts work well too, just don't let your wife or girlfriend catch you.

John
    1985 Eddie Sanders ATC330r
    1986 Monstecate
    1984 ATC70 (awaiting 125cc transplant)
    1984 ATC125M
    1986 GSXR 750 - Keepin' it old school!
    1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4 plow machine
    1999 Arctic Cat Thundercat 1000 (lake lizard)
    1996 Arctic Cat Jag 440 L/C (ditch banger)

--
    Dude, Doug you are like a genie. I got 2 wishes left. You just saved me so much cursing and throwing of tools. My shop tools and walls thank you!
    RPFLU member and co-owner.
    Hardtails is all we do.
    #NOLINK
    #MAKEHARDTAILSGREATAGAIN
    #SUSPENDTHIS

--
    Great idea i will be trying it this weekend!!
    1985 250r-LED Performance 4mm Stroker motor
    1978 ATC70 w/ Piranha 140cc
    1972 - K1 - CT70 w/lifan 125cc
    2017 YZ 250x- Braap

Youtube channel = http://www.youtube.com/user/ter5678/videos

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //