//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: My '83 ATC250R Build Up!!!

--
    very cool, love the fact you ride it, break it, fix it and ride again

ForeverThreeWhe is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Thanx guys for the kind words. Yeah i think its nice to have a good looking fooler but youve gotta ride them. I ride mine as often as i can and i like to ride it hard too. Here's some vids of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLRXQj4cNwo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O40K-hkEIXo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2sp2m20QKg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLXyv8r9ApI

--
    Nice trike there. Please get flags for riding in the dunes. I can't tell ya how many times I have almost front ended people riding without them.

--
    Is that new carrier from ebay by any chance? Perhaps a Boss? If so, i was doing some work on someones air cooler and ran into that problem, and the friggin thing was .008 oversize. Piece of crap, so i stuffed the original back in and called it a day.
    Last edited by jeffatc250r; 07-01-2009 at 09:28 PM.

--

parts

hey threewheeler arent parts expensive down under?your ride looks great you and pop do good work.
    1985 ATC 250R
    . Team Red Trike

ForeverThreeWhe is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Yeah ive got a flag, i should use it more often its just not that busy on our dunes. Never the less i should have a flag on. Im not sure if that carrier is a Boss as i didnt get it off ebay, it was a mongrel to fit. It was insanely tight. I spent half the afternoon sanding it down, its soft metal but not so soft that it was easy to sand. I got it off a mate down here who imports parts. Here's he's site... http://www.atcheaven.com/
    Parts are fairly hard to get down here. More so than expensive but still expensive none the less. The trike owes me over AUS$4000 so far but ive enjoyed spending every cent and after riding it i realise why i keep spending money on it.
    Thanx for the nice comments guys mostly appreciated.

Brad200X is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    You already know what I think of your R, Ben. BTW those lights were a great idea! You'll have to give us a ride report on those!
    Rides I own:
    '85 200X(old smokey)
    '81 ATC250R(Bassani pipe, Wiseco piston, Vesrah rod, and AMS offset rims)
    '84 KXT250 Red(the new money pit!)
    '96 KX125(FMF pipe, Boyesen reeds, One Industries graphic kit, etc.)
    '85 KX125(vintage racer. Technically it was a practice bike)
    '78 DT400(the lone Yamaha)

--
    I am in the process of trying to swap the 83 tank and shrouds for the 85/86 tank and shrouds. This is a pretty big job and im not even sure if it will work. So far ive realised that the 83/84 exhaust will not work with the later model tank as the 85/86 tank sits lower and hits the exhaust so i may have to buy a later model exhaust. Then theres the fact the later model exhaust may not fit my 83 frame and even if it does will it clear the fins on the head and will it line up with the 82 exhaust flange on the head? Im going to have to borrow an 85/86 exhaust and see. To make this work im going to have to get Dad to make up brackets as im no welder and he does a pretty tidy job when it comes to that sort of thing. Also there seems to be very little room for handlebar clearence on the top of the tank.
    The parts i'll be using (except for that rear fender)

The tank. (its not even close.)

Mocked up. (i wont be using that 83 seat)

Mocked up. (with 85 seat)

Testing full lock.

All lined up.

--
    I fitted the 85 seat to the nicer 85 fender, the one i was using before as i'll be using it again and put the 83 brackets back on it. I had to bolt the seat and bracket seperatly as the 85 seat doesnt line up with the 83 brackets. No big deal, the seat is made for that fender so the holes where already there and i bolted the brackets to the holes i had drilled for the 83 seat. Then i tightly mocked it all up and noticed this is where the tank ends up sitting.....
    These are all the plastics and the seat i intend on using.

It sits far too high and looks rediculous.

This is with the front of the tank lowered. This is where i want it to sit.

If i lower the front of the tank, i get this problem.

One thing that is going in my favour is the frame mount for the tank and the tank bracket line up.

250rJamie has been nice enough to let me borrow an 85 exhaust to use for mock up. If it fits with the tank like that im going to go ahead and mount it all like that! Dads going to make a bracket that will go from the frame mount and bolt to the tank bracket, then we are going to somehow bend/move the front of the seat pan down at the front and possibly pop rivet or bolt a peice of metal to it to reshape it in that position then re-foam and re-cover it.! Dunno yet, i'll have to see. I'll keep you all posted.

--
    It looks great. I do like the look of the 85-86 plastics and seat on there. Definitely updates the look.
    Rides:
    1986 ATC250R (sectional pipe and Klemm Research silencer)
    1986 ATC250R (Desert Bike, WAX-ON seat, Dual Cibie lights, Steering Stabilizer)
    1979 ATC110 (Bandito frame and forks, Turbo wheels, disc braked)
    1982 ATC70 (Lifan manual 125)
    1987 LT80 (piped, widened)

My feedback thread
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ack-for-dcreel

RIP Trace.. Godspeed.

--
    I borrowed an '85 exhaust off 250RJamie about a week ago and i've had a go at fitting it and this is as far as i've got. It's not a great fit, it sticks out too far to the right and the flange is bigger on the '85 exhaust so im not going to use it. The only way i can see it working now is to get a custom exhaust made to fit it so im at a standstill at the moment.

--
    I thought i'd update this a little and let you all know whats happening. This was it last time i took it out.

This is it now after blowing a head gasket.

I have just spent over $1000 on parts for it and im still looking for a lot more "goodies" for it!!! Not a single bolt is gonna be left untouched. Its a long way off but its gonna be worth it. This is gonna look sick! Im not gonna say too much although i will say its gonna be Blue as ive got a brand new complete set of Blue Maier fenders for it. They're being shipped as we speak and should be here any day now. This will defiantely be the last time i build it.

These arrived from the U.S thanx to Mike From Long Island! I also got a polished stator cover from his aswell. Big thanx Mike! Your a champion mate!!!

Im expecting a few more packages from America real soon too!

Do any of you remember seeing these on Ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/85-86...Q5fAccessories

They arrived today! Big thanx to RID3R on here. Went right out of his way to make sure i was hooked up with these. Cheers mate your a deadset legend!!!

Shame about the underside of the front fender!

The pics dont do the colour justice either. They look awesome!!!

--

250r

i know that is gonna look sick mate.you and pop do good work.that color scheme is rockin.
    1985 ATC 250R
    . Team Red Trike

--

--
    Quote Originally Posted by harryredtrike View Post
    i know that is gonna look sick mate.you and pop do good work.that color scheme is rockin.
    Thanx mate for acknowledging my Dad, he puts a LOT of effort into my trike for me and it wouldnt be half what it is/is going to be if it wasnt for him.

The polished covers i got from Mike are rediculous too. They are show quality and he practicaly GAVE them to me!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //