//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: My '83 ATC250R Build Up!!!

ForeverThreeWhe is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

My '83 ATC250R Build Up!!!

G'day guys, my names Ben, (ForeverThreeWheels) i ride an '83 250R. I ride it as often as i can with my good mate Jamie who also rides an '83 250R at Stockton Dunes Australia. This is my trike. I have heaps and heaps of pics of this build but there is far too many to post so i'll just put up the main ones where the work done is most noticable. 99% of the work on this was done by me and Dad as Dad is really good at anything he turns his hand to and to keep the cost down. It was a good learning experience too. Dont pay any attention to the dates on any of these pics either as it is usually wrong. Cheers.

6th of July '06
    This is it the night i bought it after spending hours cleaning it. This is what i got for $850. An '83 ATC 250R with an '82 ATC 250R engine. It was rough and broken in every way and nothing really worked but it went.......sort of!

After spending a few more hundred on it i mounted later model fenders as it had none, new grips, handlebar pad etc and Dad made the lighting for it. It was quite ridable and reliable.

Last edited by ForeverThreeWhe; 07-27-2009 at 09:00 AM.

ForeverThreeWhe is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    There is a long stretch of farm road near my place so i decided it was time to see what it could do. In top gear at full throttle the piston let go. Thats whats left of the skirt on top of the piston.

It was only going to be a top end rebuild but me and Dad just kept pulling it apart as there was just so much that needed fixing properly.

Trying to get the rear sprocket off was nearly as hard as taking the swingarm bolt out.

The exhaust me and a mate welded.

The frame i sprayed in undercoat from an aerosol can.

I painted the frame Nissan Pulsar Fiji Blue that i had mixed into an aerosol can for me.

The new piston in and the engine awaiting paint.

The engine i painted from a can.

All the little bits and pieces were hung on Mums clothes line and painted.

The front end coming together.

Rear guards and seat all cleaned up. The seat and mounts are from an '83 but the guard is 85/86.

Engine mounted in frame.

She's a roller. This is the worst shed ever to work in. That was all the room there is. It was full of junk.

How sweet is it!!!

--
    Cooling down after heat nip seizing it.

To overcome the heat seizing we had the bore honed a little and installed new crank seals in the bottom end. To do this the cases had to be split. We had the cases split and this job done professionally as we had never split an engine before. Also put in a new bottom end bearing.

The bike stripped down AGAIN!!!

The engine split and in pieces AGAIN!!!

All back together AGAIN, this time with new tyres too.

I dont have any photos of it but it was around this time i sunk my trike in a river. Yes, sunk it in a river. I tried water skipping and i forgot the river bed had just been dredged and it was deeper than i thought. I had to ring Dad on my mates mobile as mine was water logged to come and tow it out. Dad was real proud of me that day! Incase you were wondering, the back wheels float, nothing else does though. Me and Dad spent the next few days flushing the tank, fuel lines, carby and engine to get all the water out.

Here it is at the beach.

It needed a clutch cable and some new fork boots but the more i thought about pulling it apart the more i thought about all the upgrades i wanted for it and i had the $ at the time so Dad went and saw Ric at ATC Heaven http://www.atcheaven.com/ and these are the parts i ended up getting.
    A full caliper kit for the rear.
    Front and rear brake pad set.
    Universal fork boots.
    DG grab bar.
    Safety flag with mount.
    DG expansion chamber.
    DG rear silencer.
    Clutch cable.
    Carb kit.
    Clutch lever.
    Left lever perch.
    Wheel spacers.

They arrived 2 days before Christmas '08.

The DG grab bar mounted.

The old fork boots.

New fork boots with the old exhaust.

The old standard exhaust and the new DG exhaust.

The new DG pipe and silencer fitted.

Looking Good!!!

--
    I added some 1.5' axle spacers. I originally wanted to go with 2.5' spacers but i had these on hand and ready to go so i fiitted them up.

Front view showing standard width.

When i went to fit the spacers, the inner circumferance of the spacer just quite didnt fit over the 4 little knobs on the hub so a little grinding of the 4 knobs on the hub face was required.

These are the knobs on the hub that needed a little grinding.

The spacer fitted.

Front view showing new width of +3'.

Looking Better!!!

While duning my carrier desintergrated.

To fix my carrier i went straight out and bought..... 2 sets of wheels and tyres???!!!

10' ITP wheels, these will be wrapped in motard tyres as im keen to try a little flattracking.

N.O.S 10' Douglas wheels and Duneslider tyres. These are horny looking wheels.

My new carrier and the old one.

Well after a lot of fighting with it i "convinced" my carrier to fit.

Here i am "convincing" it.

The new carrier fitted.

The space that has somehow come between the caliper mount and the caliper when the caliper is sitting on the disk. It was an easy fix though.....i just removed the disk.

--
    HERE IT IS....How it sits now!

Here's a build vid of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrC6T6l4PXI

--
    Great write up Ben!! Looks awesome!!

--
    damn good looking bike
    Feedback thread: http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/s...ad.php?t=78535

Patiently waiting..

--
    Thanx guys, i really appreciate the comments.

--
    Welcome. You and that bike have been through alot. Great pics.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by MonroeMike View Post
    Welcome. You and that bike have been through alot. Great pics.
    We sure have mate but its been worth every second and every cent, ive made a lot a new friends through owning that trike and the build me and Dad did on it bought us closer together......

--
    I thought i'd update my build thread a little as ive done a little more to it these past few weeks. Ive always loved the look of the watercooler front end and i wanted a tougher/ racier look so i decided a change was in order.
    The old front end.

The old bulky view.

Bag of goodies!

For the front it was a toss up between this

and this

I decided to put a little lighting behind the plate.

New '86 Maier front guard installed and Aussieduner raceplate painted.
    Last edited by ForeverThreeWhe; 07-05-2009 at 02:32 PM.

--
    The new LED lighting mounted

New view from the cockpit

New front end !!!

Lights up nicely too!

LED for the rear too. I managed to get it to fit in the OEM shell.
    Last edited by ForeverThreeWhe; 07-05-2009 at 02:33 PM.

--
    I like that LED tail light, nice fooler!!

MotorCity is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Great looking trike, congrats to all you have accomplished with your build.

--
    vary nice work on the fooler. And welcome to the boards!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //