//ArrowChat Code
Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Live 3Wheeling Magazine

--
    Another bedtime story from the old 3Wheeling vault. Remember Phil Beckman? The former editor of 3Wheeling? Well, one afternoon, he was flying to cover a race somewhere on the east coast.... He was sitting in a window seat, with some young lady sitting in the middle, holding a new baby boy. Well, sooner or later during the flight, the little "brat" let one loose, and mom decided it was time to change junior's dippers. But where? In the rest room in the back of the plane? No sir. Right there in the seat next to old Phil Beckman. He was trapped, with no where to go. It wasn't bad enough that Phil had to sit through a loaded dipper switch, but when she lifted the little "brat" up, guess what happen? Yup, he pissed all over Phil! So, you wanted to be an editor huh? Good night all.
    Last edited by oldfart; 06-09-2004 at 11:13 AM.

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Hey Dean,

I think when most of us think of the R&D departments of any of the big companies (Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki) We imagine a building that is protected by armed guards and has a security system aiken to that of the Pentagon where you have to get hand and eye scans to go in. Whats it really like?

--
    Guess what guys i found a old 3wheeler magazine that my dad had. The thing is awsome!!!!!!! I love it!!!!!!!!!!

--
    Guess what guys i found a old 3WHEELING magazine that my dad had. The thing is awsome!!!!!!! I love it!!!!!!!!!! Its the october 1983 edition of it its got...A test on the kawasaki tecate and a test of some performance heads for the 250R and a reveiw of 2 tricked out R's and a hole bunch of stuff in it. Its awsome!!

--
    Hey Dean,

I remember Phil Beckman when he was editor of Dirt Wheels before Wolfman took over as editor.

What is Phil up to these days. He was a great writer and I really enjoyed his editorials.

I remember he did one editorial in Dirt Wheels about an ATC 110 called Maxine...after the 1980's car horror movie called Christine.

He also did a funny editorial called 'Let the buyer beware' where he described the efforts to make an 81' 250R presentable for sale....well barely presentable...

it was funny funny stuff!!!!

funny thing is that I was about 10 years old at the time but can still remember those stories like it was yesterday.

SEND ME PM HERE - CLICK HERE

1986 ATC 250r, 1986 Tri Z, 1990 LT 500R "Quadzilla"

Dirtbikes:

1994 KTM 550 MXC (yes its a two stroke...66 hp stock!)
    1988 Yamaha DT

--

magazine

my dad had six of the m they are cool and i wish they still made the maga. because i would like to order thing out of it that you can get anymose

--
    About the R&D departments.... I tried several times to get a trip to Japan and see what was going on behind the scenes. But no-go. I really don't have much scoop on that segment over seas, other than once these Japanese wiz-kids came out with something, they would send it to California, and have some of the Team riders, or hired racers, to ride them to death (the ATCs, not the riders). Tim Orchard did a lot of testing for Honda on the Pilot and late Odyssey. He would go around a set course, at a set speed, with a lap full of sensors plugged into all kinds of areas. Again and again. Every time he would hot-lap the Odyssey, the Japanese engineers would bawl him out for trying to f-up their testing equipment. Tim said it got very boring after awhile, since he could not go out and have fun. Just the same course, over and over again....... Ron Hasle did testing on the 250R, as did Craig Peterson.

Since we would do much of our testing during the week days, we often ran into a box truck out in the middle of no-where. These Japanese engineers hated to see my Toyota truck pull up! I remember one time Suzuki was testing a pre-production Quad 80 with a bunch of kids, and dads in a field near Escondido. I was tipped off about the test, so I showed up as Joe-Blow. One of the engineers asked me if I would like to give it a spin? I of course, smiled and jumped at the chance. I went out and rode the piss out of that thing, hanging my legs out, power-sliding it around the turns, and beating that prototype to death! After about a dozen laps (which they video taped), I pulled over and handed it back to them. They looked at me with a puzzled look, and asked, "Who are you anyway?" I don't think they expected an adult to go out and thrash their new toy like that. It was a blast.

Howdy is offline Putting Priorities in Order, Busier than ever. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfart
    Since we would do much of our testing during the week days, we often ran into a box truck out in the middle of no-where. These Japanese engineers hated to see my Toyota truck pull up! I remember one time Suzuki was testing a pre-production Quad 80 with a bunch of kids, and dads in a field near Escondido. I was tipped off about the test, so I showed up as Joe-Blow. One of the engineers asked me if I would like to give it a spin? I of course, smiled and jumped at the chance. I went out and rode the piss out of that thing, hanging my legs out, power-sliding it around the turns, and beating that prototype to death! After about a dozen laps (which they video taped), I pulled over and handed it back to them. They looked at me with a puzzled look, and asked, "Who are you anyway?" I don't think they expected an adult to go out and thrash their new toy like that. It was a blast.
    Another wonderful story!! That would have been priceless to be there. Did you tell them who you really was?
    Howdy

250rAL is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    I've got issues of 3Wheeling from March of '85 til the end. They are a priceless source of info for machines from that era. The guys at 3Wheeling did a lot more testing and product reviews then the mags you can get now. I found the '85 250R carb shootout especially helpfull as I used it to decide which carb to put on mine. It also helped me figure out that the needle it came with wasn't the best choice and when I put the one in that was mentioned in the article, my machine ran much better. I still look through them sometimes and dream about the "old days". Judging by the prices that single issues bring on eBay($25-30), they're worth a fortune. I'll never give them up!
    36PJ Keihin
    K&N
    Boyesen reeds
    Magura hydraulic clutch
    Roost Boost
    MSR bars
    OMF swingarm skid
    ITP Beadlocks

Three Wheelin' Since '84

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Hey Dean,

I got an email from Jackie Meadows this evening and asked him to stop by and say hey. I told him how you have been posting here, I hope he does.

Do you think the recent influx of people who were involved directly with the industry is a sign that threewheelers are making a comback, even if it is only from a "Collectors" point of view? Does it seem like its possible?

Billy

--

Dean! Nice to have you here!

Hey dean,I've been a 3wheeling mag fan forever!..I raced trikes for years..I would guess i own 150 issues or more,hehe i've never really counted them....Im 31 now,and i still have them tucked away in my bedroom that i love to read from time to time.One of my favorite bike vs test you guys did was between the 250R and the 225DX lol,I still love to read about that one..I still remember how i use to lay in my bed at night way pass my bedtime reading away.Well i own a 85 ATC250R and trying to find parts or even stickers these days is becoming a chore.Its hard to believe seeing all that ATC racing in the mags and how long ago it was..I think its great after so long your back out here doing what you loved to do for so long,Talking trikes!! Im so glad to kinda get to meet you and hear your stories..I hope you stick around the forums for a longtime..Well thats it,good luck with all your fans out here Take Care!
    Jeff

--
    Wow! I guess I should have paid closer attention to this thread! Its a little late, but Id still like to welcome you to the site, Dean. Ive got tons of questions from a historical perspective, but I wont force you to be a full time poster at the moment! Its great to have a first hand witness from the old days on board.

--
    Blog Entries
    Still out there Dean?

--
    Yes, I am stopping by every now and then. This time of year, I travel alot; Texas, Florida, Connecticut, Arizona, Michigan, Washington, and on and on. So, unless I see a specific question, I usually let this thread run on its own. I can't believe that there has been 10,700+ hits! Dean

--
    Do you have any stickers left?
    "I am going out of this world.....the same way I came in...screaming and covered in blood."

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //