//ArrowChat Code
Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Live 3Wheeling Magazine

--
    Hey Dean.

I hear your heading "downunder", I take it your talking about Australia?

Where abouts are you heading? ANd is it for business or just a holiday? If you dont mind me asking...

Matt
    1980 ATC 70 Needs Restoration
    1985 ATC 250es Fully Refurbed
    1986 ATC 350x Mint Original

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Hey Dean,

I was checking out some pictures from the Legends of ATV Racing in 2000 and seen your name mentioned along with a picture. What was it like being around all the guys again? Would you come to it again if there was another one? http://atvscene.com/schedules/fast-t...gends-2000.htm

--
    Tim Orchard and I had a great time at that reunion. I hadn't seen many of those racers in years. I think the part I enjoyed the most was to actually sit down and talk to Dean Sundahl, without all the pressures of a real race going on (and Wes McCoy standing nearby!). During the "good old days," Dean and I were always too busy to say much more than "Good Luck" or, "It was a fun race." This time, I was able to ask Dean some questions that I'd been wondering about for years, mostly about the prototype ATCs, and testing. Since Tim Orchard is still very much into the ATV industry (with OMF), he had a greater connection with what was going on today, rather than me, who didn't keep up with squat. I'm sure, that both of us would do it again, some time. Dean
    P.S. I am headed for Melbourne, Australia for a great vintage car swap meet in Bendigo this weekend. Then, off to Auckland, New Zealand for another trip up in the hills to a very remote auto wrecker than is full of old car stuff. Name of this place is Horopito. Back in two weeks.

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Have a nice trip Dean!

--
    My Trike is a mystery!!!! i just got into this stuff i love it!! names~joe name on here is 1983yamaha225 but i dont really no if that is what mine is. its the same color "yellow" camshaft i no its a yamaha but i dont no the ccs or the vin number or anything it starts fine but it boggs and it cuts off any1 have any idea what i am saying pelease help me in anyway thanks a ton if u can help me! PS: the spark plug that fits in it is a NGK 8812 i think!

--
    I have a big Prblem I think i have a 83 or 84 yamaha. its camshaft driven. Yellow. If you cAN HELP ME IDENTIFY THIS MACHINE I WILL BE SO HAPPY. IT HAS 5 SPEEDS NO REVERSE. BEHIND THE SEAT THERE ARE 2 HOLES IN THE BACK MAYBE RACK? PLZ HELP ME

--
    Ha, I beleive you have a 1983 Yamaha 225 dx. Oh and by the way its not "camshaft" driven, its shaft driven.

The camshaft is in the top end.

Matt
    1980 ATC 70 Needs Restoration
    1985 ATC 250es Fully Refurbed
    1986 ATC 350x Mint Original

Howdy is offline Putting Priorities in Order, Busier than ever. Catch me if you can
    --
    I was just reading a few of the replies here when I Noticed Oldfarts last posting. For those of you who didn't know he was the editor of 3Wheeling Magazine. Oldfarts last posting was #333 in this thread. That is a lot of "3's", He may just be hung up on 3 Wheelers.

Oldfart, any chance you will be doing a "Project Trike ( VW style )" in your Magazine? hehe

Howdy

--
    Believe it or not, we still do get requests for VW-powered trikes in Hot VWs. Now, would I build a VW-powered 3-wheeler for the street? No. A VW-powered Manx buggy maybe, but not a 3-wheeler on the street. Give me an ATC 350X in the sand any day!

--
    Hey Dean,

Reading all this has really brought back some great memories for me. I was racing a 200X in high school back in 1986-87, right before the bottom dropped out. I still remember my very last race, because it was the very last race I could find locally (Arizona). I was about to make the switch to the 200cc two-stroke class. I was still an amateur, but I had a friend who was just turning pro. He had a Klemm Research Tri-Z 200, and later he bought a Klemm Tecate 200 from Donnie Luce. Awesome machine, my friend could swap out the cylinder to change it back to 250cc to run in that class, also. I can't remember if Donnie Luce was a privateer or factory rider at that time, I believe he was a privateer racing 200 two-stroke pro class. Haven't seen my friend in years, I may look him up to see what happened to those trikes.

I finally got back into 3 wheeling recently, and I still love it.

Thanks again for the great stories!
    Last edited by Bad Karma; 12-08-2004 at 12:38 PM.
    1985 ATC 250R
    1985 CR500R
    2000 CR500R

--
    Donnie Luce still works for White Brothers, and has for years. He did have some sort of support program with Team Green, and like you said, with Harry Klemm, he had all the right stuff. Donnie is a hell of a nice guy, and was a great rider. He once gave a Christmas party for all the local hot 3-wheeler riders at his house. As everyone sat down in the living room with a brew and something to eat, he turned on the VCR, and showed some recent ATC race footage. Unknown to all of us, he had edited together all of the parts where he was leading races all on one tape! It was great to see Jimmy White and Stevie Wright slowly catch on to what was happening! Every race, Donnie lead out of the gate, every turn, Donnie was ahead, and what final laps were shown, guess who won? Fun night.

Curtis-Tecate3 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Hey Karma, Your friend that bought the bike from Donnie Luce wasnt named Stan was he? Just curious as I talked to Donnie several times in my quest for ex-factory Tecate parts and Donnie claimed that he sold his bikes to a guy named Stan Swanson.

Dean is right in that Donnie is a super nice guy to talk to on the phone, especially to a complete stranger like myself. He gladly spoke of his racing and his bike setups etc. for as long as I had questions.
    Actually most of the ex-kawi racers & tuners were very friendly to talk to with a few exceptions.

Curtis.
    I love anything with an engine except a lawnmower...
    1986 Tecate and original owner of a 1985 200X.
    3 wheeling since 1975.

--
    No, his name was Kurt Walker. He bought the bike after a race in California. (he lived in AZ near me back then). I can't remember what race it was or the year exactly, but it must have been around 1986-87, because we were still in high school. It really was an awesome Tecate, very fast.... His father is a realtor in north Phoenix, I may run up there and see how he's doing and find out what happened to all the trikes he used to have.
    1985 ATC 250R
    1985 CR500R
    2000 CR500R

--
    Hey Dean,
    It has been wonderful hearing all of your stories.
    I am pretty new to the 3wheelers, and your insight has been a great learning experience.
    I just picked up a 86 350X (kinda rough, but runs awesome) definately a great start for me.

Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Steve

P.S. - any chance you have stickers left? LOL
    Steve - Tacoma, WA
    1986 Honda ATC350X

--
    I need a picture of a honda viper from the 80's

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //