//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 84-85 tecate cylinder difference kxt / kx questions answered

--

84-85 tecate cylinder difference kxt / kx questions answered

Here are pics of production 83-84 kx cylinders vs 84-85 tecate cylinders. Tecate cylinder pics are the ones on the left, kx pics are on the right. When looking into the exhaust ports you will see the kx cylinder is heart shaped with a (bridge) separating the port to keep the rings from snaging since the port is much wider then standard tecate cylinder. Tecate cylinder is oval and wide open. KX cylinder has two extra small exhaust boost ports "one per side: above the standard tecate side ports. Intake bell and transfer ports are identical on both tecate and kx cylinders, so the cylinders have the same ability to flow on the intake side. The exhaust is where the power is found. Since all engines operate with peak efficieny coming from a balanced flow of air through it, this has to be a balanced ratio which the kx cylinder maximizes. Putting a big carb on a detuned (restricted) tecate cylinder interupts this flow since it can't purge exhaust fast enough, and throttle response will be slow off idle and top end will suffer greatly. These kx cylinders are an easy way to gain 5-7 hp with a 38mm carb and careful tuning. With this simple mod you will have no problem beating any relatively stock 250 trike. The last pic is a shot of two kx cylinders on the right, the center is 72mm or 265cc which really fattens up the power everywhere. Before you buy make sure it has this bridge so you dont get let down since the outsides of both are identical. It is the only way to be 100%. And remember these cylinders were all nikasil plated when new and is the best way to go if you need to renew one. However if it has already been sleeved go for a nice clean overbore since it can never be plated again. Hope this answers some of your questions. So let the hunt begin for these power packed monsters!!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kx kxt cylinder 020.jpg   kx kxt cylinder 021.jpg   kx kxt cylinder 022.jpg   kx kxt cylinder 023.jpg   kx kxt cylinder 024.jpg   kx kxt cylinder 025.jpg  

--
    20 years ago a buddy of mine did the KX jug and 38mm carb swap to his 85 Tecate. It was money well spent. Add a good pipe and it was a very fast machine. I totally forgot just how much better the KX setup was. Thanks for shareing the info.

hadar is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    I just got one off ebay for $75 hope It's the right thing. If not, he says he will take it back and refund. I have a 38mm flat slide that didn't work so great w/ my kxt, perhaps now it will. Hope I didn't get screwed, what do you think?

--
    Hadar , its hard to tell from your pic. take a pic of your exaust port , where your pipe slips in to the cylinder there should be a metal bridge. From the top of your pic you can not see the extra exaust boost port.

--
    Yeah, it's kind of a gamble, he said it's an 84 kx250 cylinder. I had to take a chance. I want my 84 to frighten me at wot.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by hadar
    I just got one off ebay for $75 hope It's the right thing. If not, he says he will take it back and refund. I have a 38mm flat slide that didn't work so great w/ my kxt, perhaps now it will. Hope I didn't get screwed, what do you think?

Not a great pic but, It sure looks like you have the extra exhaust port area on the side. So, I'd say KX for sure - just look for the bridge.
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    I have that setup on my 84 Tecate with a 38mm mikuni flatslide, bassani pipe, and kx ignition setup. It is a hot little bike! We dynoed it just for kicks once and it pulled 52hp to the rear wheels.
    4 Strokes are NOT the wave of the future!

--
    well after further review, the one i was looking at on ebay, is a kxt cylinder, thanks for info lopez. someday i will find one.
    1985 KXT 250 Tecate - kx cylinder, kx ignition, bassani headpipe, answer silencer, v-force reeds, 38mm airstyker carb, +2 franks swinger, raptor rear shock.

1996 YSF240 Blaster - maxxed out!!!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "HOLY SH-T, what a ride!"

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher
    Not a great pic but, It sure looks like you have the extra exhaust port area on the side. So, I'd say KX for sure - just look for the bridge.
    I don't know what you're looking at Dirtcrasher, but I don't see the extra "boost ports" that T3 Lopes so clearly pointed out. Based on Lopes' side by side comparison, my moneys on KXT cylinder.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Well, it's real hard to tell from that pic. As soon as it comes in, I will post a better one. I sure hope it's what he said it was. If it is a kxt cylinder he's going to get it back. Now it's time to play the waiting game.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider
    I don't know what you're looking at Dirtcrasher, but I don't see the extra "boost ports" that T3 Lopes so clearly pointed out. Based on Lopes' side by side comparison, my moneys on KXT cylinder.

In the picture I saw on the right a small ovalled out egg beyound the usual port area. However, now that I look again - that ovalled out egg I'm looking at seems to be the intake port - is there a smiley for DUUUUUHHHHH??

I'm amazed how the KX and KXT cylinders are completey identical on the outside. You would think there would be some small diffrence somewhere.
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Wow Thanks for finally clearing this topic. Are the trannys the same on both machines? Only the kx being lighter, chain and sprockets, and the tires make them faster?
    The Green No More Red EVER EVER EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!
    1985 KXT 250 Tecate
    1984 KXT 250 Tecate Parts machine
    1985 KXT 250 Tecate My vintage racer
    1983 KX 250
    Proud member of
    3wheelerworld.com
    3wheeler.org
    Planettrike.com
    Airfoolers.com
    http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/s...ad.php?t=80907

--
    As far as I know they have the same ratios. Tecate gears are beefier than the KX because the Tecates were heavier. Tecat-z explained it better in the post (KX TRANS?) The kx motor put out much more power then the tecate, as well it is lighter and its a dirt bike. I'd say thats why they are so much faster.

--
    So would it be a reversal with using a tecate bottom end on a kx 250 jug? In a kx? Ive heard a rumor about the tecates having bad trannys? I had my t4 tranny lock up? But the rumor was kawasaki using there kx trannys in there atvs, and the trannys let go under the load?
    The Green No More Red EVER EVER EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!
    1985 KXT 250 Tecate
    1984 KXT 250 Tecate Parts machine
    1985 KXT 250 Tecate My vintage racer
    1983 KX 250
    Proud member of
    3wheelerworld.com
    3wheeler.org
    Planettrike.com
    Airfoolers.com
    http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/s...ad.php?t=80907

--
    Yes the kx jug bolts right on. The Tecate motor would fit right in a 83 84 KX. I have had no problems with my Tecate trans. The KX trannys are not as heavy duty as the Tecate trans are but they both work just fine. I run a KXT trans and my buddy runs a KX trans in sand with paddles and never had a problem .

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //