//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: '86 250R refurbish

--

'86 250R refurbish

Alright gentlemen,

This winter I decided it was time to freshen up the old R. Just using this as a place to document my progress through this. Not going to be a show room build, just want it to look as good as it runs.

As of right now I have blasted the frame and some red components and had them powdercoated. The wheels, swinger, hubs, and bars are blasted and at powder right now. Hopefully pictures of that tonight. The cylinder has been dropped off at the local 2 stroke scientist to have port, bore, head decked, and a new ESR ATC5 pipe has been ordered. The engine is out of an 85 so that will be blasted and powdercoated grey like it should be while I have it apart replacing seals.

I will try and update this as I go, looking to have this finished up before spring season opens ups here in Wisconsin.

Thanks for looking!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

--
    Pick up the wheels and swinger today from my powder guy. I was unsure how the gold was going to come out but I'm happy. It is hard to capture perfectly on camera though.

--
    I got a little deeper into the crankcase tonight, got held up because I misplaced or never got my flywheeler pulled back from my buddy. Judging from the slight rust on the flywheel and crank weights I'd say there was either a bit of water that got in or this old girl had sat unran a few season and was subject to condensation. I will definitely be curious to see what the internal bearings look like. On the plus side judging by the piston wash I'd say my tune was fairly close.

There was a little bit of schmoo that came out of the oil, I'm hoping it was clutch material. With out having a magnet handy Il just have to wait until I can crack this egg to see if the yolks on me or not.

--
    I wonder why the left side of your crank halve is grooved, while the right side is tinned?
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    I wonder why the left side of your crank halve is grooved, while the right side is tinned?
    Now that you point that out it does make a guy scratch his head. I don't know that I have ever seen the grooves on a crank like that before.

--
    Looks like your missing a tin.
    250r rules

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc300r View Post
    Bingo, get a new crank
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamnahrt View Post
    Pick up the wheels and swinger today from my powder guy. I was unsure how the gold was going to come out but I'm happy. It is hard to capture perfectly on camera though.

That is really damn close. What PC color is that?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc300r View Post
    So that’s what the crank looks like underneath those tins.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    That is really damn close. What PC color is that?
    Thank you, i thought so as well. It is prismatic chrometatsic with Prismatic spun gold over the top of it.

This my be a dumb question but what is the point of the tin?

--
    My question is where did the tin go?
    YAMAHA 450 HYBRID
    85 350X- RED
    85 350x -BLACK
    86 350x-WHITE (with Goki)
    85 250r
    83 atc 70
    84 atc 70
    84 atc 110
    09 yfz 450
    2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
    RZR XP 900

--
    Well guys I finally found my flywheel remover, and now I wish I would have just lived in ignorant bliss.

First issue is the counter balancer bearing holder has a broken ear, not huge but annoying enough.

Second issue I found was the roller bearings on the kicker seem to be a little worn allowing the clutch basket to rub, again not a huge ordeal.

On the brighter side the clutch basket shows fairly little wear and the clutch itself seems to be barely used.

Then the real bad news... the left side case seems to have had a real bad day. I assume this is cause from the tin letting the smoke out, hopefully I can find a used one cheap.

Also the rotary selector seems to have chipped off... still don't know how that happened. Surprisingly enough I never felt it so it must be in a half way un used location.

After getting it apart it almost makes me feel bad for beating on it as hard as I did, while at the same time amazing at the abuse they can take with out missing a lick.

--
    Wow. That motor has seen it's fair share of injuries.

Subscribed

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    That clutch basket needs to be filed.

Have the case welded so you don’t have issues with mis-matched cases.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    That clutch basket needs to be filed.

Have the case welded so you don’t have issues with mis-matched cases.
    I was going to touch up the basket before install but thank you for the heads up. As for the cases, dad and I had that conversation tonight about the trouble of lapping mis-matched cases and the trouble of mis-alignment. I was already on the search for what casting material was used on these so I could find a suitable material for the patch. My quick search for a replacement was promptly crushed lol. If anyone has any input on what material these cases are cast out of it would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Kamnahrt; 04-11-2018 at 11:02 PM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //