//ArrowChat Code

Thread: DIY driveway taco/Hilux head swap

oldoo is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

DIY driveway taco/Hilux head swap

So my hilux over here in Australia cracked a valve and ran like a dog. So I did a head swap over Friday arvo and finished Saturday arvo. The 3rz engines are notorious for valve issues particularly the exhaust valves.

Before taking the old head off

It’s been a big 24hours but my truck is back on the road and I’m destined to pickup 4 trikes. Yeah buddy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Great pics! Nice job

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Looks like her missing half of your cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootertrash View Post
    Looks like her missing half of your cylinders
    Hahah I wish I had a ls3 in it

--
    Nice job. I don't think I ever saw a issue with the valves on that engine. How many miles/kilometers?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Canadian View Post
    Nice job. I don't think I ever saw a issue with the valves on that engine. How many miles/kilometers?
    I'm interested in that too, over here the 5vz-fe engine is very popular, but I've had a couple 3RZ's and they ran very well, one was 270k and the other was right around 300k miles. Both had bad frames, ran/drove even with the broken frame. The 270k mile one had the frame broken in about 6 spots, guy stopped driving it because he was trail riding it and hit a tree and really messed up the steering components (the tires faced outwards severally bad).

I noticed the oil was super black in the photos, has low quality oil been ran in it, or just a million miles on the oil? I run expensive stuff like Mobile One full advanced synthetic which guarantees 15k miles between oil changes, and after 15k it's still not that black.

Did you guy's get Lexus cars over there? Starting in 1990 we got the LS400 (also GS400 and SC400) which all came with the 1UZ V8 Japanese built engine. Car of course was designed for the USA market, mainly for CEO's since it is a luxury car/brand. Also should mention, Toyota and Lexus are the same company. The team the designed the 2JZ Toyota Supra engine also designed the 1UZ.

My car (1990 LS400 "base" package) isn't super amazing shape, I live way up north in the USA, so cold winters and bad chemicals on the roads to clear them from the snow/ice that causes everything around here to rust out. I know a guy with a 2013 Ford F150 that already has rust starting. Anyway, my car has held out really well for a 1990 compared to just about anything else I've seen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20181104_143952_269.jpg  

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Canadian View Post
    Hey rob,

It’s got 300,000 kms on it. The valve clearances needed to be done which were never done. Apparently they need to be done every 20,000 kms. I was lucky enough to only need to buy 2 shims for the donor head to put all valves consistently in spec.

The valves were riding and became hot. Which resulted in a piece of valve breaking off on cylinder one.

I had completed a leak down test to diagnose my rough idle and cylinder one had leaking intake and exhaust valves.

I was extremely busy with college so disconnected cylinder one and plugged an injector test light into it to avoid the car going into limp mode. This avoided heat going to the valve and more of it breaking off and causing further damage.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
    Oldo

--
    Nice wrok!! I've done a few, not the easiest job to do!!....

And now, all the shops that use to resurface the head (blanchard grind) are all closed and out of business.

I cannot hold a tenth of a thousandth on my mill so I can't do them...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //