//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 350X Frame gusseting and reinforcing, Another one

--

350X Frame gusseting and reinforcing, Another one

I finally got most of the work done on this frame.

The most important part is yet to come....

The left frame rail cracks on nearly any well ridden 85 350X. Honda updated it with a simple extension to the stock frame mount bracket.

I plane on making my own wrap around bracket/mount for this with additional supports.

I've been hesitant to pull out one of my crate motors to get the last part done. But, if you don't actually toss a motor in there, you run the risk of having things not line up after sandblasting/painting or powder coating..... NOT a good thing after the frame is bought, reinforced and finish coated.

It really is allot of work to get it all together. I made templates of all the braces so the next time would be a bit easier. I didn't want to just hack triangles on there, thats why I put a curve on the exposed part of the plate.

Here are some pics:

The next one is still smokin I caught it on fire a few times..............

Here are the raw materials, I ground down .125 or 1/8 steel for the plates.

And last here is a shot of the right side completed....

I tried my best to make sure there was no interference with that rear brake master cylinder. With the resevoir feed hose and the hyd line, you can't brace this area as much as you want. Honestly, with all the plates welded in, I don't think there will be any sort of a frame issue..... I pulled the master off of my 350X and mounted it on TANKS frame just to be sure.

So, it's not done yet and I didn't get a pic of the left side yet but I'll post one up soon or after I finish that side.

DEEPA has a 350X lower end and I'd rather use that for a jig rather than dig out one of my precious crate motors for the last bracing

Mikey, can you try and bring that lower end by next Sat??

I've traced all the braces onto paper and when I'm done, I can fax the templates to anyone who would like to use a similar brace. To each there own, but I wanted to add a bit of style to these guys
    Last edited by Dirtcrasher; 10-03-2011 at 05:19 PM. Reason: More goodies!!
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    DC you can lay a bead bro!

Nice work. God i need come to Mass and hang out...

--
    Looks damn good, real nice beads too!
    1986 200x- old school D.I.D wheels, Gold D.I.D X-Ring Chain, Rad MFG. Carrier, PRM Grab Bar, Pro Circuit T-4 custom, Maier plastics, 85x forks, 18x10.5x8 kenda klaw mxr's on itp steels, the money pit never ends

2004 YFZ450 - CP 12.5:1, cam mod , gibson nerfs, hmf pipe, protaper bars + risers, dg bumper/skids, holeshot gncc's on itps, cycra handguard and more stuff to come.

--
    That is sick! I had to hire a guy locally do brace my frame....it turned out pretty nice too but it cost me $$....I'm jealous!

--
    Wow I had no idea that there were going to be that many braces in there ,, Awesome job!
    My rides, 1985 ATC 350X, With legit Lamborghini Countach paint,2003 Harley Davidson FXDL Dyna Low Rider,customised the way I like it! 1997 GMC Sierra is gone, primary mode of transportation, 2008 Toyota Yaris!

Check out my build thread of my 350X
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?95389-Tank-s-1985-350X-build-is-FINALLY-all-done!-)
    Screw giving away the Harley, It's payed for!!

--
    DC if you need a set of motor mount bolts, let me know. I got a nice set for it, a while back.. And if you haven't noticed yet, the 2 bolts that are in the Tank mount holes are for the lower rear motor mount.. I didn't want to lose them. They fit, so I put them there
    My rides, 1985 ATC 350X, With legit Lamborghini Countach paint,2003 Harley Davidson FXDL Dyna Low Rider,customised the way I like it! 1997 GMC Sierra is gone, primary mode of transportation, 2008 Toyota Yaris!

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?95389-Tank-s-1985-350X-build-is-FINALLY-all-done!-)

--
    i am wishing i could weld like you

--
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel_250r View Post
    i am wishing i could weld like you

Allot of it is the welder and the prep. Many of the cheap 115V welders gave me piss poor results......

Just to show a bit more about the 85 frame versus the 86 frame here are some pics. In 86 they added a simple reinforcement piece behind the motor mount that wraps around about 1/3 or so of the frame tubing, it's really not much but it does seem to help....

Stock 85 - I just tacked it back on, but thats it, thats all there is:

And the 86 gusset/wrap:

I had to reweld this area on TANKS frame because it was already cracked - in stock form! And believe me, it was a very nice frame!:

And last is another shot of the 86 style improvement and the friggen thing is ALREADY CRACKED!! My spare frame was just as mint as Tanks

Apparently, no matter how good these frames look, certain parts must be addressed before painting and or powder coating... Thanks to BILL or MR ATC for posting all the 350X frame flaws at 3wheeler.org which certainly helped me with the bracing I did
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    wow I guess I didn't look it over as well as I thought I did But I'm glad you found that extra crack, and put a fresh bead or 2 on it

--
    Blog Entries
    I'm wishing DC lived in Phoenix.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Keep the cat hair off the frames!
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Keep the cat hair off the frames!
    LMAO, Fabio KNOWS!!!

--
    Dang! even the frame got some p....... n/m bad yoke.

looks like some awesome work man!

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

--

Just about done

After a couple more hours yesterday, I just have a bit of smoothing to do on the tube I wrapped around the frame.

Here is the tube I made

Here it is being installed, you have to weld a bit, heat it, bend it and weld it again. Repeat this until it's tight all the way around the frame. The holes are so I can bond the inner portion of the tube to the frame

And here is everything as it came together. Every brace and bracket end up being joined together.....

And last is where I reinforced the swinger bolt hole

They are 1/2" thick washers so I have to drill them out to a bit over 14MM, maybe just a 9/16 drill would be fine.....I just want to smooth the tube area wher I filled in the holes. The rest will have to sandblasted really well to smooth it all out.

I will say this, it wasn't really hard, but this was very time consuming and a good mig welder is essential

--
    Looks awesome DC.. I'm in the process of trying to find a powder coater in my area. I have a couple of leads.. We'll see what happens on that front. If that doesn't pan out, My friend that did my tank offered to paint it with EMRON Dupont, which is (if I'm not mistaken) The factory paint that Honda used.. He said that it is pretty nice stuff.... I'll stop by the hardware store and pick up some Shoe Goo for ya when you want me to come get it

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //