//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 1985 Big Red 250es Build ===!!!!FINISHED!!!!===

Stonewall is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

1985 Big Red 250es Build ===!!!!FINISHED!!!!===

Hey everyone, I decided to start in on restoring an '85 Big Red for a neighbor today, so I'm starting a thread to post my progress and ask questions along the way. This is a one-owner trike that was purchased and used for farm work. It was well taken care of, always properly maintained, and even though it looks like its been through hell, runs great! Most of this restoration will be cosmetic, I plan on having the frame, forks, racks, etc. powdercoated, new plastics, seat and tank. There is one minor carb problem though; if the fuel petcock is left in the "on" position, the carb will slowly leak gas back through the air cleaner and into the airbox. I learned this when it wouldn't start the other morning and I found the airbox full of gas. Is this a common problem, or a really off-the-wall thing? My first guess is that there is a hole or something in the float. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Stonewall; 11-30-2011 at 11:44 PM.
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1985 Honda ATC 250 ES Big Red
    1986 Honda ATC 250 ES Big Red
    2008 Honda Rancher 420
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 6x6 - Fire Breathing 627cc V-Twin Monster
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 LT
    1983 GMC K10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Liter Diesel

My Feedback:http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...-for-Stonewall

There is no Z in Diesel!!!

--
    1st off welcome! The float needle isn't seating,may be worn,probably just a piece of dirt. The floats are plastic,and probably not leaking,but anything is possible! And yes,that would do that,Either way,it needs disassembled and cleaned and examined. Good luck! And cannot WAIT! Big Reds are hands down,my favorites!!

Stonewall is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by atc007 View Post
    Big Reds are hands down,my favorites!!
    Mine too!!! So sad I can't keep it when I finish...
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    2008 Honda Rancher 420

mirthgrinder is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Download the manual...If you can print it and put it into as binder, even better!

http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/Manuals/...vicemanual.pdf

I am also rebuilding an '85 Big Red. So far, Carb Rebuilt, Brake Cables from Motion-Pro, Used front Fender, (Thanks Captain Wheezy!) Brake Shoes, Fork Boots, etc. etc.

As I go through this trike, let me know what you are doing and I'll let you know If I have done that yet; maybe I can give some pointers...

There is also a Big Red group here on 3WW. Join, as there are a lot of Big Red fans that can also help out!

Big Reds are Awesome!

MG
    Last edited by mirthgrinder; 06-21-2011 at 11:03 PM. Reason: changed 'Blog' to 'Group'

--
    Oops! Sorry. Welcome to the board!

--
    Here is a link to the 'Group, Big Red Riding Hood'...

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/group.php?groupid=24

--
    Thanks for the welcomes!

I took a look at the Big Red group, but I couldn't figure out how to join.

I almost have the machine compeltely torn down. I plan on going through pretty much everything except the engine, which runs great. I'm going have most of the metal parts powdercoated, new Maier plastics, reupholstered seat, new Clark tank, new 12" wheels and 26" tires, new bearings and seals, new rear shock, rebuild the front suspension, new brakes, wiring harness, control cables, levers, and I probably forgot something there LOL.

Thanks for the manual link. I also have a Clymer repair manual for some guidance too.
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    2008 Honda Rancher 420

--
    Will 12 inch wheels and 26 inch tires fit without suspension mods? Good luck with the restore and please post pics.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED ATC View Post
    Will 12 inch wheels and 26 inch tires fit without suspension mods? Good luck with the restore and please post pics.
    no suspension mod needed!
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"

--
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED ATC View Post
    Yep, i have 12" wheels, and 26" tires on my 250es and there is plenty of room, i could go to a 28" if i wanted too..
    1985 Honda 250r x2
    1986 Honda 250r
    1986 Honda 250sx
    1985 Honda 250sx x2
    1985 Honda 350x x2
    1986 Honda 350x
    1984 Honda 125m x4
    1983 Honda atc 70 w/ Lifan 125
    1984 Honda atc 70
    Yamaha tri zinger
    Yamaha 4 zinger
    Brap braaaap

http://www.youtube.com/user/3wheelsoffroad

--
    I pulled the 26-12-12 wheels off of my Rancher and put them on the rear of the Big Red for a week or so to make sure that there wouldn't be any issues. (Also so I could ride it...the origional rims are so bent that I can't seat the bead....) I was planning on going with ITP Delta Steel wheels because they're fairly cheap and look good, will a 2+5 offset line up properly on the front? The stock wheels look to be 3+6, so I think thats equivalent to taking an inch of each side? Also, can I fit a 26-12-12 tire on the front, or do I need to go with a 26-10-12?

One more question, probably more important; is there a good trick to pulling the chrome/aluminum suspension parts(not sure the proper term) of the forks out of the main red part? I got the bolts out but they're kinda rusted together and I don't want to break the aluminum.

I'll post some pics as soon as if figure out how to transfer them from my new iPhone to the computer!
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    2008 Honda Rancher 420

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    ITP Delta Steel wheels because they're fairly cheap and look good, will a 2+5 offset line up properly on the front? The stock wheels look to be 3+6, so I think thats equivalent to taking an inch of each side? Also, can I fit a 26-12-12 tire on the front, or do I need to go with a 26-10-12?
    Well, since the stock tire is a 25-12-9.... I would imagine a 26" tall, 12" wide tire will fit without issue... As for the wheels centering up without any work, good luck with that! (murphys law applied here)
    No trikes. Too old, too crippled. Unless I find one I can't live without!
    "You cant fix stupid" ~ Ron White
    My feeback link: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ack-for-Thorpe

--
    Got it almost torn all the way down today, just need to get the axle out, take off the swingarm and engine, then sort out everything that needs to be powdercoated. Any tips for taking the forks apart?
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    2008 Honda Rancher 420

--
    For the front forks, specifically the front shocks, refer to the online manual, Chapter 11 pdf page 191, book page 11-21 and beyond. Chapter 11 deals with the entivre front fork assembly. On mine, the Fork Set and Pinch bolts were a little rusty. I soaked them overnight with WD-40 and they came right out. Inspect the steering stem for rust in the shock mounting holes and clean if necessary. When re-assembling, a little grease or petroleum jelly will help in getting the shock to seat. You will notice that the top of the shock has a groove around it, this groove must be seen through the mounting hole for the set bolt. If it is not seen, then install the other shock, place some cardboard or a block of wood under the shock bottoms and press down sharply on the steering stem compressing the shock several times until you hear a soft 'Ping' from both of the shocks. Inspect both set bolt mounting holes to see if they are seated and screw in the set bolts, followed by the pinch bolts. This is all that I have done to the fork assembly. As for the removal of the steering stem, I have not tackled that yet...

Anybody else here has experience with steering stem removal?

Hope this helps.

MG

--
    Time for an update...I haven't done much to the BR in the last month, since helping my dad with bean watering takes priority. (Not to mention I've been distracted by my new BR purchase...) I have been doing the final dissassembly to prepare for powdercoat the past few days, and spent a whole afternoon on stuck and twisted off bolts... I finally managed to get the front shocks out of the "steering head assembly". I think all I have left is to take the inner pieces of the swingarm pivot bearings out of their housings. Any tips for getting those out?
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    2008 Honda Rancher 420

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //