//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1985 ATC 70 stock ignition questions/ electronic conversion questions

--

1985 ATC 70 stock ignition questions/ electronic conversion questions

I have an ATC 70 that I managed to get running a year ago after replacing the coil and filing points. Machine sat since last fall and got it running again and then it just quit and now does not fire. Filed points again and still no spark. I have connected to the black wire coming from the ignition and grounded through my Analog ohm meter and get nothing even while rotating engine. The other three wires in the harness all show uninterrupted continuity. Does this show that my points have failed or is it the stator coil? Other question is whether it would be a good idea to replace with an electronic conversion? I have done some searching here and only find a limited number of related posts and they are several years old. Appreciate any input and thanks, Walt~

--
    Pull the flywheel and replace the points and condenser, OEM only .
    Stators rarely go bad on 70s unless recoil parts get in their and scar them up .
    I’ve done a couple conversions and their just ok , china parts so I wasn’t impressed with the quality .
    Last edited by shortline10; 05-17-2018 at 09:44 PM.
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Quote Originally Posted by shortline10 View Post
    Stators rarely go bad on 70s unless recoil parts get in their and scar them up .
    I’ve done a couple conversations and their just ok , china parts so I wasn’t impressed with the quality .
    Thanks for the info. I will head in that direction! W~

--
    Quote Originally Posted by shortline10 View Post
    I’ve done a couple conversations and their just ok , china parts so I wasn’t impressed with the quality .
    Update on firing problem: I replaced points and condenser with OEM set and set timing/ points to manual specs and then tried to start and still no spark!! Coil had been replaced just before I tore in to the points and condenser and it worked perfectly but by the time I had done the P & C replacement it had quit functioning! Bottom line on that is that it came New from Ebay and lasted for seconds!! I am now going to try and get the carburetor straightened out and will post a question about that shortly. Thanks again, Walt~

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //