//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Engine prep and paint

--

Engine prep and paint

I have a freshly rebuilt Kdx 175 motor that needs a little cleaning and paint.The head is kinda grimy between the fins. I'm thinking use some
    Pine-Sol and a toothbrush, then some wax and grease remover for prep. I want to put a gloss black paint on it and seal the motor. Will any hi-temp paint work or do i need hi-temp paint for aluminum?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180804_234324.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	253875

--
    I’d just use high temp engine enamel. The cleaner you get it before you spray the better it will look and stick.
    It sucks to get old

--
    That will go in here after i remove the 1/4"of dust.

Name:	20180805_005123.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	253876
    Last edited by fieldy; 08-05-2018 at 07:40 AM.

--
    Douce it with purple degreaser. It's available everywhere. Don't let it sit more than 4 minutes or so. It eats and weakens rubber. So seals, gaskets,boots etc do not like it! Then Steam jenny it. Turn it to every angle. If you don't have a great pressure washer, a car wash works just fine. Then scuff everywhere you can with 1500 grit. Then clean with starting fluid. Then paint. I always had great results with Rust Oleum. But honestly, back in the day. Early/mid 90's. I used wal mart/ Kmart paint MANY many times. Mainly 350X's. We rode those ATC's through thousands and thousands of miles of trail, mud,manure,pasture and gravel roads.. Those engines still looked new after years and years of that. Anytime you paint, anything. The prep is what decides the end product.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    Just one thing to add to ATC007’s post and that is if your going to pressure wash the engine be sure to fill it with oil and seal the intake and exhaust with plugs.

You can use any motor oil and then just dump it out afterwards. The last thing you want to get any water inside that engine and not being able to start it up with in minutes.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Found the enamel at the auto parts store, so convenient but expensive. I also picked up some primer, but it is the grey color. Would you guys use it or not? Any scratch would show the primer. This bike will be used. I am thinking no primer. The cylinder has been stripped when it was replated. Thoughts?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180806_200103.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	253895

--
    No primer.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fieldy View Post
    That will go in here after i remove the 1/4"of dust.

Name:	20180805_005123.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	253876
    The rest of that looks pretty nice.

Love those old bikes.

So you're doing a rehab/rider?

I hope there's a thread on this build. I'm interested.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    The rest of that looks pretty nice.

Love those old bikes.

So you're doing a rehab/rider?

I hope there's a thread on this build. I'm interested.
    Pretty cool bikes. This is the same bottom end as a kx 125. This bike is known as the "magic bike" due to forgivness when riding errors occur. The Kawasaki's were the first group of bikes with monoshock linkage. It's different than the other Kdx's. I will explain later.
    Jack Penton raced enduro on the Kdx 250 and was winning with the 250. As i understand it Jack dropped the 250 for the 175, which I'm sure was bored out closer to a 200cc. Less weight and more agility was the reason for him leaving the 250.
    I am wanting to race some post-vintage cross country in the future. Build is kinda slow going but i could add a few pics time to time.
    I had a good friend who rode this very motorcycle when it was new. He said point it and it would go there.
    On another note my old Kawasaki guy is kinda pumped getting to work on a vintage Kawasaki again. He was in a rut and happy to build another. Probably done 200 similar motors.

Any stories of old bikes are welcome.
    Last edited by fieldy; 08-07-2018 at 10:15 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fieldy View Post

Any stories of old bikes are welcome.
    Story of my 1985 XL250R. Years ago my friend bought a 1983 XL600R. It was way to big for him. I told him I will look around for a 250 for him. I bought it and we swapped bikes. I had a the 600 and he had the 250. We rode for a couple years. He ended up breaking his ankle on the 250 and wanted to sell it. I told him I will buy it. Got it for $800.00. I sold my 600R off. I never registered the 250 for the road NOR did I put it in my name. It was going up to the cottage to ride on the weekends on back roads. Well years later my brother did not want to store it at the cottage so I took it back to the city. Years later the wife and I split up. I still have the bike in my old friends name. We shall call him "Frank" Wifes gone and I found out 'Frank' is now going out with her... Ya. Not cool. I know but whatever. Yup the 1985 XL250R is still in his name!!! LOL.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xl250r.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	253899
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Canadian View Post
    Story of my 1985 XL250R. Years ago my friend bought a 1983 XL600R. It was way to big for him. I told him I will look around for a 250 for him. I bought it and we swapped bikes. I had a the 600 and he had the 250. We rode for a couple years. He ended up breaking his ankle on the 250 and wanted to sell it. I told him I will buy it. Got it for $800.00. I sold my 600R off. I never registered the 250 for the road NOR did I put it in my name. It was going up to the cottage to ride on the weekends on back roads. Well years later my brother did not want to store it at the cottage so I took it back to the city. Years later the wife and I split up. I still have the bike in my old friends name. We shall call him "Frank" Wifes gone and I found out 'Frank' is now going out with her... Ya. Not cool. I know but whatever. Yup the 1985 XL250R is still in his name!!! LOL.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xl250r.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	253899
    There’s an old saying about letting a guy ride your woman, but not your bike. Still sounds like a POS though.
    It sucks to get old

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //