//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: ATC200 crank rebuild

--

ATC200 crank rebuild

Are there locating flats on the crank (rod) journal to ensure that the crank halves are properly timed together?

Watching guys do it on youtube, most seem to have a fixture that places things in their proper place BUT most are generic videos and not specific to the ATC 200 type cranks. If there's no way to locate it without a specific fixture, I don't wanna waste my time taking it apart. I will just have to go have it done. *sigh* DON'T want to do that but you have to do what you have to do.

I ordered a new rod, shim & bearing kit and it comes with a new journal but the picture of the journal doesn't look like what my crank does.

Thanks!!
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Most cranks that I'm aware of do not have anything locating the crank pin. This is so you can "true" the crank. All you need is a dial indicator and a set of V-blocks or a lathe and a soft to true it, so I wouldn't let that deter you.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Hmmm. THAT I can do. I have some big V blocks leftover from when i worked in a machine shop. I can make a nice out of a length of pipe and melt me some wheel weights for a head. Been meaning to do that anyway.

Thanks!

--
    Gabriel this video made the most sense from what I’ve found i have to replace the rod on my 200x too.
    https://youtu.be/6lKLKtzWPQI

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Did you buy a vesrah rod kit? Reason for rod replacement?
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

--
    I’d have go log in on the desktop to see what the rod kit is.

As far as why......everything in this engine is just about toast.
    If you hold the crank in one hand and use the other hand to hold the rod parallel to the ground, release the rod and let gravity do its job.....the rod will stop perpendicular to the ground....it won’t free swing more than 90 degrees without help.
    I did the same test with another crank and the rod would swing almost 180 degrees from gravity alone.

I don’t trust ANYTHING in this engine. If it had been a more common model, I would have parted it out and shet canned the rest. But....200E engines ain’t too common round here.

While we talking cranks.....has anyone ever taken the oil pressure relief button apart?
    This is a ‘no stone unturned’ rebuild here. It was THAT bad...yep yep

--
    Wow, I see. I missed out on a more or less complete 200E WITH UNCRACKED REAR PLASTICS for $75!! Really sucks, they aren't common around here either.

I don't think that relief button comes apart...does it? I don't know where you would find specs or parts for it. I guess a used crank maybe.

Da velder

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Watching guys do it on youtube, most seem to have a fixture that places things in their proper place BUT most are generic videos and not specific to the ATC 200 type cranks. If there's no way to locate it without a specific fixture, I don't wanna waste my time taking it apart. I will just have to go have it done. *sigh* DON'T want to do that but you have to do what you have to do.
    You do not need a fixture to rebuild a single cylinder crank unless there is something unusual about it.

--
    There's a roll pin that can be driven out and I am assuming the assembly comes out. With no IPL for it in any of my manuals, I am hesitant to take it apart......BUT, I have a junk crank somewhere I can experiment on......now...where the he!! did I put it?

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    There's a roll pin that can be driven out and I am assuming the assembly comes out. With no IPL for it in any of my manuals, I am hesitant to take it apart......BUT, I have a junk crank somewhere I can experiment on......now...where the he!! did I put it?
    Can you post a photo?

--
    Neat video Morgan , unfortunately a Honda 200 crank would never twist and move that easily .
    I have posted a few threads on Honda crank rebuilding , the most important thing is to make alignment points before disassembly , makes reassembly so much easier without guessing , also don’t forget to align oil galleys .

Quote Originally Posted by morgan View Post
    Gabriel this video made the most sense from what I’ve found i have to replace the rod on my 200x too.
    https://youtu.be/6lKLKtzWPQI
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    There ya go, just see if you can talk shortline10 into doing it. At least you will know it was done right.

--
    Looked at a spare crank I have, it appears thenoil pressure relief btton on the right side of the crank has a roll pin that can be driven out. If you do open it up be sure and post pics, I'm sure it's not complicated but it'd be interesting to see what's in there.

Also, I saw F.A.S.T. Racing rebuilds single cyl cranks for $100, and I have read good things about them.

Da velder

--
    SO! I have a fixture for pressing them together. Yesterday and today I made a plate to press the crank apart and I made a fixture to test runout. Some old bed rails welded together and 4 bearings bolted on for the crank to sit in....viola!

I got a brass and a lead , I'm collecting my patience and crossing my fingers. LOL!!!

--
    SO! I have a fixture for pressing them together. Yesterday and today I made a plate to press the crank apart and I made a fixture to test runout. Some old bed rails welded together and 4 bearings bolted on for the crank to sit in....viola!

I got a brass and a lead , I'm collecting my patience and crossing my fingers. LOL!!!

Painted and everything....fancy!! Looks good.

How did you remove the main bearings from the crank? Is a press required for removal/installation? I'm gonna replace those on my 200M when I'm in there.

Da velder

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //