//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot Rod Brian's 87 SX

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --

Hot Rod Brian's 87 SX

Two months ago give or take, my neighbor Hot Rod Brian told me he'd seen a trike earlier that day while looking over some cars for sale. He showed me this picture.

I told Brian we needed to get our hands on that ASAP, but Brian does take his time with things. He's missed out from time to time with his balking, but I wasn't letting that happen this time. The seller is 91 and it's son's machine, who lives out of state. Hot Rod Brian is a bit older than myself, I'm 38. I figured this particular deal might take a little more than a day or a week...

It did. I don't recall exactly when it was initially brought up, but it's been around two months as I said. Today we were able to go pick it up. Brian's probably just going to poke around the yards here on it and then if he's gonna let it go it will go to me. We've got another guy who hangs out here all the time who wants it as well.

So we went and picked it up for short money and it looks great! The gas tank has one small dent but it's cleaning up really nice and there is next to no rust in it, as it was topped off with pre-ethanol gasoline. It was orange but there was no damage to the carburetor. The carb was gummed solid, but everything is usable inside of it and the float works fine. I miss pre-ethanol carb cleaning. Although all the small passages were gummed, they all cleaned easily and there was next to nothing in the bowl itself, really not terrible.

The OEM plastics are patched but good for a rider. Rear brake works fine but the front is missing the barrel that the cable goes through on the brake actuation lever on the hub itself. Rear wheels are currently gold so those need to get painted. Forks need to be rebuilt, boots are trashed.

I threw my battery in it and my gas tank on it and the electric start did not work. There was a clicking sound like a solenoid, but no action on the starter. I jumped up on it and kicked once, twice, second kick it was running. It caught us all by surprise. No smoke, no noises, it's tight and smooth. It died before it reached ten seconds of run time, that's when I found out the carb was gummed. It ran really well though.

One thing we are in search of is an 86-87 headlight shell. Ol Shep is sending over a 200X shell to see how it looks (Shep is the man!), we don't know what it's going to look like but it's worth a shot. If anyone has any white 86-87 SX headlight shells please, let me know.

I'll update as this barn find comes together. The OEM Ohtsu on the front has 95% tread, but unfortunately it's a loss. I was really bummed to see the weather checking on it where it was flat on the ground. The Wooly Boogers are hard as rocks and one has a tube, so those will go bye bye if it becomes mine. They're probably fine for what Brian's going to use it for.

Last edited by fabiodriven; 04-05-2018 at 12:18 AM.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Fantastic score!!

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

6bt is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Nice find!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

--
    Awsome find.I would like to get one someday.
    250r rules

--
    That's a great find!!

They're still out there!!
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Sweeeet! Great find

--
    Man I love seeing barn finds! Nothing like the sight of a trike layered in dust, all but forgotten, only to be resurrected by a trike enthusiast! Well done
    1985 Honda ATC 250ES
    1985 Honda ATC 250SX
    1984 Honda ATC 200M
    1983 Honda ATC 200
    1984 Honda ATC 110

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Thanks for all the replies guys! Yes it certainly was a score. I got the carb cleaned and reassembled and unfortunately the bike still didn't run right. I disassembled the carb a second time and found a jet which was completely clogged as well as the spring and washer for the air screw missing, rookie moves. Ultimately my fault, yes, however we have a friend who comes by and tends to distract people and worse yet, sometimes insists on "helping". God bless the guy, he's a true friend, but I put the tools down when he comes over and this is exactly why. You'll see him in the video below.

So we do now know that the muffler on the SX has some small holes on the underside. I'll be welding those up, but we're going to ride it first. I need to reinstall the carb again, it's right this time. I was also able to Frankenstein the headlight shell back together so that's good!

This is Hot Rod Brian in the video below. I'll be honest, it has nothing to do with the thread really. I just found this hilarious and I thought others might as well. Like I said, our buddy makes it really difficult at times!

https://youtu.be/tFH8-Vanz90
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Hey John, I have a buddy with an 87 engine in his sx. He initially bought an 87 starter rebuild kit and then just decided to buy a new chinese starter. Never used the kit. Its yours if you want it.
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!!!!!

TRIKES:
    86 250r
    85 250sx
    86 250sx
    84 Yamaha 225DX - Bruins Trike
    85 Yama 225DX - The Rental!
    150cc Piranha powered 70
    110cc Lifan 70
    82 70
    83 ALT 50 Trail Buddy
    88 Yamaha BW 80
    84 z50

--
    Quote Originally Posted by redsox View Post
    Hey John, I have a buddy with an 87 engine in his sx. He initially bought an 87 starter rebuild kit and then just decided to buy a new chinese starter. Never used the kit. Its yours if you want it.
    S-s-s-sold! Thank you Dan!
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Everything is funnier for me when said in a eastern American accent.

"If you don't STFU I'm gonna have to ask you to leave"

Last edited by ironchop; 04-14-2018 at 11:00 AM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    Everything is funnier for me when said in a eastern American accent.
    LOL! Mayor Joe Quimby flashed in my mind the first time I head Fabio speak. I don’t think I’d ever met anyone from Massachusetts before, or since.

A couple months back some Americans were sitting next to us in a restaurant overseas and one of the guys ask where I’m from. I tell him and ask the same to him. He says “Boston” I said, really? You didn’t grow up there. He looks at me stunned and says “how do you know?” I responded that I know a guy from there and you don’t sound like him. He says “moved there when I was on my 20’s”. It’s super distinct.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    LOL! Mayor Joe Quimby flashed in my mind the first time I head Fabio speak. I don’t think I’d ever met anyone from Massachusetts before, or since.

A couple months back some Americans were sitting next to us in a restaurant overseas and one of the guys ask where I’m from. I tell him and ask the same to him. He says “Boston” I said, really? You didn’t grow up there. He looks at me stunned and says “how do you know?” I responded that I know a guy from there and you don’t sound like him. He says “moved there when I was on my 20’s”. It’s super distinct.
    It stuck with me too so that my brain reads his posts here in that voice which makes it all the more entertaining.

I'm sure he thinks I sound like Jed Clampett just the same

--

Hot Rod Brian's 87 SX

Lmfao. If you guys think my accent is thick I wish you could sit down with Brian and some of the other people around here. I mock them and I'm from here!
    Last edited by fabiodriven; 04-14-2018 at 07:12 PM.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    We don't have accents. This is the original way the pilgrims spoke when they landed here in Massholeachusetts. You guys are the ones with the accents. Wicked bad.
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!!!!!

TRIKES:
    86 250r
    85 250sx
    86 250sx
    84 Yamaha 225DX - Bruins Trike
    85 Yama 225DX - The Rental!
    150cc Piranha powered 70
    110cc Lifan 70
    82 70
    83 ALT 50 Trail Buddy
    88 Yamaha BW 80