PDA

View Full Version : New find...blessing or curse?

Frankencelery
09-02-2009, 11:56 PM
I stumbled into this 125M on Craigslist the other day. The guy was asking $100 for it, saying it ran but needed transmission work. When I got there to look at it, it was in pieces rather than a whole machine.

He had bought it on Ebay from someone claiming that it probably ran but he didn't have a shifter lever to test it. Yeah, right. He realized he'd probably been scammed, and showed me what he found. The threads for the bolt that holds the shift stopper arm is stripped out and some idiot had tried to JB weld it in place. Obviously that didn't work.

I was pretty much ready to walk away, wanting nothing to do with this project, but we got talking and he's got a 200 with no spark, and he said if I helped him figure that out, I could have the 125M...carcass. Obviously I couldn't refuse that deal. Getting a trike running for someone is worth more to me than another trike project I didn't need anyway.

So here it is, and I'm trying to figure out if something can be done with this engine. He said it started and ran ok, and I believe him. He might have gotten ripped off, but this guy was clearly someone who is honest and has no intention of doing the same thing to someone else. Is this engine junk, or can it be repaired somehow?

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae183/frankencelery/DSC08040.jpg
http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae183/frankencelery/DSC08043.jpg

factoryX
09-03-2009, 12:24 AM
lol time for a gpx/lifan motor!

Pafrig
09-03-2009, 01:32 AM
uh..... thread it in with locknut? with stops at the appropiate places for shifting? it would be a pain but hey.

Erics350x
09-03-2009, 07:57 AM
have it welded and tapped or heli-coil it.

AutoXer
09-03-2009, 08:07 AM
lol time for a gpx/lifan motor!

x2 on the lifan motor

lndy650
09-03-2009, 08:37 AM
ths is a classic example of a retard. they thought they had to take the entire wheeler apart including the front end to work on it... anyway by the looks of it you could get a few hundred for the tank and fenders so id be pretty happy either way...
reminds me of a time when a kid took the entire bottom end of a cr500 apart to replace the piston and lost most of the shims and a few gears. its sad....i sold him that bike mint.

Frankencelery
09-03-2009, 05:25 PM
I spent some more time looking at the thing, and where this bolt threads in is extremely thin. I'm no expert, but don't think there would be enough space for a helicoil. Besides, the hole goes straight through, and right on the back side is a gear, less than 1/8" behind the hole. You can see it in the picture. Even if I did get it fixed, I might find out there's something else broken. I'll try to shift through the gears if I can and see if they seem to work ok.

Oh, and the guy I bought it from took it apart. He used the head bearings for another machine, and took the back wheels off so he could slide it under his workbench to free up the garage and get out of trouble with his wife.... :lol:

rdlsz24
09-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Oh, and the guy I bought it from took it apart. He used the head bearings for another machine, and took the back wheels off so he could slide it under his workbench to free up the garage and get out of trouble with his wife.... :lol:

Nice! I was tempted to buy an ATC 70 and have it disassembled and in the garage attic before my wife got home from work but I decided I didn't need another trike.

Rob

Frankencelery
09-07-2009, 10:27 AM
Bump...

Any other thoughts on this? I was wondering if it might be possible to weld a nut to the outside, or a piece of aluminum that can be drilled and tapped. I don't know if that can be done or not.

If a new engine is the only thing that can be done, I'll scrap it and part it out. I wasn't looking for quite that deep of a project right now. Oh, and the frame is bent. The front tube is cocked a few degrees to one side. That's not enough to junk it it by itself...my 90 was that way when I got it, and I fixed it with a metal pipe.

blue27
09-07-2009, 10:46 AM
where that shifter stop drum bolts on is a larger peice that should be part of the case,it ia around a 1/4 tall, I would either get a new case or part it, but you may be able to weld a piece of aluminium in there and drill and tap it, I have seen this before but never tried to fix the case.